What do you like on your pizza?

I like the look of all 3 of your pizzas above @Yorky but please leave out pepperoni if serving to me! I feel it tends to dominate the whole pizza. My partner and son disagree. Where is the dopiaza? I can't see it...

I agree with your partner and son. A pizza to me is not a pizza without pepperoni.

The making of dopiaza.

pizza dopiaza making.jpg

Sliced onions isn't strictly speaking dopiaza! That was why I couldn't see it. Your cataloging is most impressive though!

I've never heard of dopiaza. I am meaning to try making my own pizza at the weekend. They sell pizza dough in the supermarket so I'll probably use that as a base.

Sliced onions isn't strictly speaking dopiaza! That was why I couldn't see it. Your cataloging is most impressive though!

Dopiaza roughly means two lots of onions, as in one lot chopped with garlic (image 6) and one lot sliced (image 8). Madhur does a mean chicken dopiaza.

How do the onions cook on the pizza? Everything I am looking in books and online says that pizza should be cooked quickly. Please forgive my ignorance.

They are raw - only warmed really.

They are raw - only warmed really.
OK! I made my first pizza today and sliced some red onion really thin, plus mozarella, salami and some tomato pasta. It turned out fine and the onions were just on the right side of cooked. I did them very thinly though.

Wow, there are some bizarre and funky pizzas listed heretofore.

I'm a NYC pizza purist. Thin crust (come a Napoli), with a slightly sweet sauce flavored by oregano, basil, garlic, a pinch of hot pepper flakes, and savory, topped with not too much high quality mozzarella.

That"s it, a plain pie.

But I occasionally like to add a bit of raw onion, raw peppers, and Franks hot sauce. That's an old habit from when I delivered pizzas when I was a kid.
Our boss would allow the delivery boys 2 slices for our dinner each night, but no toppings. I would bring my slices to the oven in the front to reheat them, then quickly grab a handful of raw veggies as I brought my slices back past the salad station to eat them in the rear where we folded boxes. I ended up getting a taste for raw onions and bell peppers on my pizza.

Anyway, another pizza that I really like is a thin crust plain pie topped with mussels fra diavolo (sans the shell, of course).

My final favourite is what's called a margherita pie. It's a blind baked medium crust, next spread with a very thin layer of sauce, then topped with bufala mozzarella slices, fresh tomato slices, and fresh torn basil, and it's baked for a few minutes more to melt the cheese.
Mmmm, ah beetz' ah.

One pie that I'd like to try is one that I think would go over well here. I've heard it called a St Joseph's pie, but I can't find any info on that.
It's a very saucy pizza that has gaps left in the cheese as it bakes, then just before it's done, a few eggs are cracked into the gaps and quickly cooked until just set but still runny, kind of like eggs in purgatory on a pizza.

My favourites:

Tomato, spinach, mozarella, black olives with eggs cracked on top (yolk must be runny)
Tomato, mozarella, roasted garlic (I pre-roast garlic cloves in their skin in a dry pan the remove the skin), chillies (the hotter the better), capers, anchovies
Shellfish and or prawns, with chill and tomato sauce.
Pine kernels, red onion, capers, black olives, raisins or sultanas (sparingly), mozzarella and tomato
Shellfish and/or prawns, tomato sauce
Basil on any of the above.
I really dislike meat on pizza especially the ubiquitous pepperoni.

morning glory, you should try a large ring pepperoni. It's more mild than the skinnier ones that are used on pizza, and it's fantastic chopped and mixed with fluffy scrambled eggs and butter sauteed onions.

morning glory, you should try a large ring pepperoni. It's more mild than the skinnier ones that are used on pizza, and it's fantastic chopped and mixed with fluffy scrambled eggs and butter sauteed onions.

I just don't like the smoky meaty taste - I think it tends to dominate dishes. I feel the same way about chorizo - whatever you add it to, the whole thing then tastes of chorizo.

I think what the pepperoni adds is saltiness to counteract the sweetish tast of the sauce..I will achieve this with a few things if pepperoni isn't available..Bacon, pancetta, anchovies, etc...Then, the onions..I have to have them on or in everything....then, it's all about balance to me and hitting every taste receptor at some point...:p

Back
Top Bottom