What do you like on your pizza?

Sicilian style pizza I think is "sfincione", isn't it?
I make pizza like this occasionally but I do prefer a traditional round thick crust pizza with lashings of home-made tomato sauce covering the base. I don't like stuffed crust pizzas very much, or thin ones. I never add anchovies (allergic) or pineapple (can't think of anything more revolting, although I like eating fresh pineapple). And they must always be made with white flour, never wholemeal.

I make pizza like this occasionally but I do prefer a traditional round thick crust pizza with lashings of home-made tomato sauce covering the base. I don't like stuffed crust pizzas very much, or thin ones. I never add anchovies (allergic) or pineapple (can't think of anything more revolting, although I like eating fresh pineapple). And they must always be made with white flour, never wholemeal.

Agree with you! Stuffed crust pizza here doesn't exit and it's not a big success. The first time I tasted it was to a Pizza Hut many years ago in London. Strange and funny but only once for curiosity, no bis.
I like and eat fresh pineapple too but on pizza.......well, you know :happy:
Wholemeal flour is not bad, I like it and sometimes I order this kind of pizza. It's a pity you are allergic to anchovies @Elawin, they works good on pizza.
I forgot to mention others pizza I really love: tonno e cipolle, i.e. tomato sauce, canned tuna + onions ( eaten far from other people due to the strong smell of fresh onions) or also pizza diavola i.e. with tomato sauce and spicy salame.

Wholemeal flour is not bad, I like it and sometimes I order this kind of pizza. It's a pity you are allergic to anchovies @Elawin, they works good on pizza.
I forgot to mention others pizza I really love: tonno e cipolle, i.e. tomato sauce, canned tuna + onions ( eaten far from other people due to the strong smell of fresh onions) or also pizza diavola i.e. with tomato sauce and spicy salame.
Perhaps I'll use a different recipe for the base and give wholemeal ones another try. The ones I had were rather flat. And there's nothing wrong with the smell of fresh onions :D

Perhaps I'll use a different recipe for the base and give wholemeal ones another try. The ones I had were rather flat. And there's nothing wrong with the smell of fresh onions :D

I'm with you on thinking that pizza has to be white dough. My thoughts are that wholemeal adds a dimension which isn't necessary and interferes with 'mouth feel'.

I find wholemeal breads never get as crispy as white - which would be the problem for me when we're talking about pizza because I like my crust to be thin and crispy with a nice puffy bit around the edges.

Speaking of dough....pizza dough freezes really really well. I always make a batch of dough (500g flour) and then after the first prove I portion it into 3 and wrap two of them in cling film and put them in the freezer. Then when I want pizza but don't have the time to make dough I just let a piece defrost naturally and come to room temperature before shaping it and making the pizza.

Obviously I prefer the classic dough for pizza made with white flour but when I have the occasion I choose wholemeal pizza to change.
Someone make the dough with half white flour and half wholemeal flour (and so do I at home), or to have a good dough made entirely with wholemeal flour, many add to the processing a spoon of honey (in addition to the usual ingredients). I've never tried in this way yet..

Speaking of dough....pizza dough freezes really really well. I always make a batch of dough (500g flour) and then after the first prove I portion it into 3 and wrap two of them in cling film and put them in the freezer. Then when I want pizza but don't have the time to make dough I just let a piece defrost naturally and come to room temperature before shaping it and making the pizza.
That amount of dough does me for two pizzas. The mutt has about 1/6 or sometimes 1/5 of one for a treat. Greyhounds have a thing about bread, but I was told that they are given it as a treat during their training, and it's cheaper than traditional dog treats.

I have got some dough in my freezer, but it never seems quite the same to me when it has thawed out. Nowadays I usually make half the amount of dough instead and make do with just the one pizza :giggle:

Greyhounds have a thing about bread, but I was told that they are given it as a treat during their training, and it's cheaper than traditional dog treats.
I wonder if this is a related breed thing. Our Manchester terrier will do anything to get bread (especially toasted bread). I've taught him to give paw, sit, turn around and lie down just by using bread as a treat.

I have got some dough in my freezer, but it never seems quite the same to me when it has thawed out. Nowadays I usually make half the amount of dough instead and make do with just the one pizza :giggle:
That's interesting because we think the dough actually makes nicer pizzas after its been frozen....not sure how to describe it really (there's not much in it) but I think they tend to be lighter and crispier, less bread-y. Maybe its the recipe? I use 400g strong white flour, 100g semolina, about 300ml water, a good glug of olive oil, 1 tsp yeast and 1 tsp salt.

That's interesting because we think the dough actually makes nicer pizzas after its been frozen....not sure how to describe it really (there's not much in it) but I think they tend to be lighter and crispier, less bread-y. Maybe its the recipe? I use 400g strong white flour, 100g semolina, about 300ml water, a good glug of olive oil, 1 tsp yeast and 1 tsp salt.

Interesting that you use semolina in the dough. I use it to roll out the dough but haven't tried it in the sough. Rolling out in the semolina provides a lovely crispy crust.

Maybe it is. I use all strong white flour. Perhaps I should give it a try with some semolina in it. Otherwise the recipe is the same.

Interesting that you use semolina in the dough. I use it to roll out the dough but haven't tried it in the sough. Rolling out in the semolina provides a lovely crispy crust.
I use it for rolling out too - you're right it gives a nice crust and I find it makes the pizza slide off the peel much better than flour does.
The original dough recipe I found actually called for fine semolina but I bought coarse by accident - seems to work fine though so I've stuck with it :)

I wonder if this is a related breed thing. Our Manchester terrier will do anything to get bread (especially toasted bread). I've taught him to give paw, sit, turn around and lie down just by using bread as a treat.
Could be, considering the original Manchester terriers were whippet/terrier crosses. Tippy, being a typical greyhound, does not sit or go down like other dogs. There is enough room under his bum to put a thick cushion under him. Must be because they have no fat or fur to act as a natural cushion. He rarely gives me him paw, but tends to stand on his hind legs as begging. The trouble is, he is then as tall/taller than me depending how far he stretches :roflmao: And he is not exactly as large as some male greys :whistling:

Bacon. Bacon. More cheese!

Bacon (crispy) and (king oyster) mushroom.

bacon mushroom pizza s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom