What Do You Snack On?

BTW, I am 5 foot 11 inches tall, and weigh 175 pounds, and I can almost guarantee that my BMI would put me in the overweight category.
I'm one inch shorter and the same weight, and I'm definitely considered overweight (but not obese), as my GP tells me every time I see her (and she's absolutely obese, but she wears it well).

I'm one inch shorter and the same weight, and I'm definitely considered overweight (but not obese), as my GP tells me every time I see her (and she's absolutely obese, but she wears it well).

Sounds about right to me. That isn't overweight. Its top of recommended weight for height in the UK.

Your numbers are inflated, and lumping overweight and obese together is pure hype, IMO. Your BMI can be 1-percent above the overweight threshold, and by your thinking, you are lumped into the same group as someone who is morbidly obese.

The actual obesity rate is too high, at 42-percent (add in overweight and it still doesn't reach 75 percent according to the CDC).

I get so tired of the whole "Americans are a bunch of lard-a$$ pigs." talk from people outside the US.

There are a lot of complicating factors in those obesity rates. Socio-economic factors paly a big part. You might think poor people would not be obese, but they make up a substantial portion of obese Americans, because they don't have access to abundance of supermarkets full of fresh food that we in the suburbs have.

Obesity rates also very by State. Poorer States have higher obesity rates. States with a highly educated population making good incomes have lower obesity rates. It's complicated.

BTW, I am 5 foot 11 inches tall, and weigh 175 pounds, and I can almost guarantee that my BMI would put me in the overweight category.

CD

From the CDC: FastStats and I suspect it hasn't gone down in the last 3 years. Canada and the UK isn't much better.

Percent of adults aged 20 and over with obesity: 42.5% (2017-2018
Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 73.6% (2017-2018)

Sounds about right to me. That isn't overweight. Its top of recommended weight for height in the UK.

US medical standards for "overweight" are pretty harsh. My ideal weight is 160 pounds. I got down to that last year for a few weeks, and I was starting to lose muscle mass. I went back to 175, and my muscles are coming back, and I feel a lot better.

I just checked the US chart for height to weight ratio, and I am right on the border of healthy and overweight. Three more pounds makes me overweight. TR, the same chart says you are 8 pounds overweight (sorry).

Now, straight height to weight numbers are not a good measure of health. Christian McCaffrey, top ranked NFL running back, is 5 foot 11, and weighs 208 pounds. He is two cheeseburgers shy of obese, according to the charts doctors use. Does he look obese to you?

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 6.08.38 PM.jpg

CD

From the CDC: FastStats and I suspect it hasn't gone down in the last 3 years. Canada and the UK isn't much better.

Percent of adults aged 20 and over with obesity: 42.5% (2017-2018
Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 73.6% (2017-2018)

See my post above for "overweight."

BTW, the CDC number I saw was 68 percent. Still not great, but not as bad a 75.5 percent. Also, the stats for Canada I just looked at are not far behind those of us fat Muricans, and growing at a similar rate.

CD

US medical standards for "overweight" are pretty harsh. My ideal weight is 160 pounds. I got down to that last year for a few weeks, and I was starting to lose muscle mass. I went back to 175, and my muscles are coming back, and I feel a lot better.

I just checked the US chart for height to weight ratio, and I am right on the border of healthy and overweight. Three more pounds makes me overweight. TR, the same chart says you are 8 pounds overweight (sorry).

Now, straight height to weight numbers are not a good measure of health. Christian McCaffrey, top ranked NFL running back, is 5 foot 11, and weighs 208 pounds. He is two cheeseburgers shy of obese, according to the charts doctors use. Does he look obese to you?

View attachment 74599

CD
There's always
See my post above for "overweight."

BTW, the CDC number I saw was 68 percent. Still not great, but not as bad a 75.5 percent. Also, the stats for Canada I just looked at are not far behind those of us fat Muricans, and growing at a similar rate.

CD
Yes CD I did........It's a legitimate argument and has been and is used ever since the BMI has been formulated, as has people that don't appear to be overweight, but are, and I'm one of those stats.. These error bars are expected and don't make a measurable difference as far as the numbers are concerned. These constantly move with the numbers and are called outliers.

What might be concerning is the CDC numbers start at 20 yrs old.

I did say Canada was right there as well.....it's a touchy subject no doubt about it. Cheers.

Last edited:

View attachment 74599

CD
Not at all. He looks fabulous.

As đuch as i can,I try to listen to my body. If it tells me to eat,I eat, If it says do not,I do not.
When I feel wobbly,I do tend to eat,just to stabilize.
And I hydrate extensively. At home and outside, my waterbottle or my thermo with tea or warm water is a must.

I am quite careful about what I snack on nowadays.
Sugarfree, white flour free, some days even gluten free. It varied. Not every day is the same.

I love fresh fruit and am grateful I am allowed to eat it. Apples, mandarins,grapefruit, grapes, bananas...kiwi...those are my favs.

I love nuts. Almonds, pecan, cashew. Peanuts.

Puffed rice crackers, wholgrain crackers, glutenfree veg crackers...

I do not drink coffee anymore, for 4-5 months now, it used to be a kind of snack...

It used to be 100 g of probiotic yoghurt or 50 g of cheese as well, but it seems I have developed an intolerance to certain dairy, unsure yet, so for now,will go without...

I could snack on egg and ham stripes if be it so. Or a sandwich. It really depends on what is before and after,reg food, activities etc.

I don't dare weigh myself. In fact I can't, as I have no scales. All I know is a few years back I stopped drinking alcohol and went down to 10 stone (140 pounds) and I looked positively skinny. I could wear what I liked though, which was great. I'm 5 ft 8ins. I don't know if that weight to height ratio is considered OK. I'm no doubt at least 20 pounds heavier now. Probably a lot more. :ohmy:

I snack on all sorts of things, but I have changed the type of snacks I usually eat a little. I believe that led to me losing 16 pounds. I tend to munch on small nibbles like nuts, raisins, marshmallows & licorice. I only take one handful of nuts or raisins when I do because I know they're pretty high calorie. I munch on marshmallows & licorice because a piece is relatively low in calories and a handful easily satisfies my sweet tooth.

I do also eat pastries and cakes, but they come in place of a third meal. The way I lost weight so far is by eating two meals a day, sometimes stopping at that and sometimes having a cake or pastry as a third meal but then eating nothing else. Except maybe fruit. Sometimes I also eat crisps as a third 'meal'. It's been a way for me to reduce my calorie intake without going without treats, which triggers my binge eating disorder. This way I can keep that under control, as I am denying myself nothing just eating less in general.

And when I know I am going out for dinner, I generally only eat breakfast and don't snack during the day at all.

Back
Top Bottom