What Food is Your Kryptonite?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:58 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Superman - the Man of Steel - is virtually invincible, but he has a weakness: a radioactive element from his home planet, Kryptonite.

In the same way, I like to feel like I make conscious, responsible decisions when it comes to my food intake...

...except when it comes to brown sugar. I have avoided buying it because I love it so much. There's something I particularly like about the toffee overtones. When I see a bag of it, I really just want to get a spoon out and dig in.

I really can't bring myself to just have a spoonful of plain white sugar. If there's an open bag of chocolate chips, I might feel like eating one or two, but that's about it. I don't feel the same way about chips/crisps or other snack foods: I can fight the urge if I see them out.

This is partly why I don't make things with brown sugar. I had to buy some for a recipe, which only required a tablespoon. Now, I'm wondering if I should have someone hide it from me, since I keep feeling the temptation.

I'm sure there are foods that do the same for the rest of you.

Last edited:
Potato chips/crisps - I have eaten enough of them in a single sitting to make myself physically sick to the point of throwing up...more than once. If they're in the house, I will eat them, and I will eat them without stopping until they're all gone.

To a lesser extent is pizza. I used to be the same way with pizza, but I have gotten better about that. When we order a pizza, I'm able to eat my portion and leave my wife's alone, even though she won't eat her full portion, which means that ultimately, it ends up in the trash, either that night or the next day. In the past, that never, ever, ever would have happened.

I used to be that way about pizza, too, so I decided to become extra picky about it. There's such a wide range of quality. If the crust is a disc that's barely more flavorful than the box it's delivered in, and the sauce is a vague derivative of ketchup, then I can easily resist. In college, it didn't make much of a difference: I might get to my third piece and shrug at the realization of how bland it is. If it's really good pizza, then it's tough, but not much of a problem: I have 2 teenagers in my house, and they REALLY like pizza. The problem there is mainly seeing if I can get more than 1 piece before it's all gone. :laugh:

Dark Chocolate... could eat it all day every day ❤️❤️.. it used to be almost anything sweet. Thankfully, I was able to kick that habit - just not the chocolate part although some dark chocolate with higher cocoa content is not all that sweet.
Dark chocolate for me too... I'm ok until it's open then I just can't resist having square after square until it's gone.

Not a food, a drink.. Either Coca Cola or Energy drink (Red bull). I've been addicted to both, even going as far as drinking a 24 (small) can tray of cheap energy drinks a week when I was about 22.

I quit drinking so much of either long ago, but it took me quite some time to stop drinking them completely during the week. That's a feat I've only accomplished since last month. I've been drinking soda only on the weekends (and only 1 can per day) since 4 weeks. And I am happy to keep it this way, am sure it's much better for me.

I'm also happy to report that I had a slightly damaged liver two years ago (from this probably, but also medication etc) and that's been resolved completely. So I've done well.

I have a problem with Fritos in particular. I could eat a whole bag, but have gotten a lot better about stopping because of the obvious reasons, plus the fact that I don't think my gallbladder really likes me eating them.
When I was a child, my grandpa used to buy me Fritos every week. I didn't like them all that much, but I was too shy to tell him, so I hid them in the corner where I used to play. One day grandma decided to clean my playing area and there was something like ten bags of Fritos there :laugh: To this day thinking about Fritos still makes me nauseous.

When I was a child, my grandpa used to buy me Fritos every week. I didn't like them all that much, but I was too shy to tell him, so I hid them in the corner where I used to play. One day grandma decided to clean my playing area and there was something like ten bags of Fritos there :laugh: To this day thinking about Fritos still makes me nauseous.

You need to try Fritos chips with Fritos Bean Dip. :ohmy: :D

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 4.23.25 AM.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom