What is Umami and what does it taste like?

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
8:21 AM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
In conjunction the Miso Ingredient challenge, I thought it would be appropriate to ask about Umami - the fifth taste. Here is an excerpt from an article.

"Westerners are familiar with the four basic taste groups: sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. For some, the concept of umami, or the "fifth taste," may be new." ( read article here )

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is that secret ingredient that makes all the difference in a sauce. I use it by the jar, but other sources such as Marmite or even soy sauce have the same effect.

It is that secret ingredient that makes all the difference in a sauce. I use it by the jar, but other sources such as Marmite or even soy sauce have the same effect.
So what you are telling me is that I have been missing out on this great taste for years and years.:eek:
Someone needs to hit me with a large wooden object. :banghead:

So what you are telling me is that I have been missing out on this great taste for years and years.:eek:
Someone needs to hit me with a large wooden object. :banghead:

You've used Worcestershire before haven't you? If so, you've had the umami experience. Mushrooms too, especially porcini, whether fresh or dried or powdered. Try adding some porcini powder (dried ones ground in a spice grinder) to a mushroom dish or a stew or similar.

Need to fix the title spelling BTW.

Last edited:
One place has decided to boldly put Umami in the name. They have one in Las Vegas, though I've never been, and also locations in other major cities. It's supposed to be just as good as the name implies.

umami-burger-location-broadway-new-2.jpg

Per the restaurant's own description:

The restaurant's burgers are made using 6-ounce (170 g) beef patties, mostly from American Wagyu beef, that are coarsely ground in-house. The meat is seasoned with Umami Sauce—which contains soy sauce—and Umami Dust that includes ground-up dried porcini mushrooms and dried fish heads.

One place has decided to boldly put Umami in the name. They have one in Las Vegas, though I've never been, and also locations in other major cities. It's supposed to be just as good as the name implies.

View attachment 28340

Per the restaurant's own description:

The restaurant's burgers are made using 6-ounce (170 g) beef patties, mostly from American Wagyu beef, that are coarsely ground in-house. The meat is seasoned with Umami Sauce—which contains soy sauce—and Umami Dust that includes ground-up dried porcini mushrooms and dried fish heads.

Sounds about right,lol.

Russ

I saw Unami paste in Morrisons (superkmarket) today and saw a jar of Unami Paste. I've looked it up and the ingredients are:
Savoury tomato paste with anchovy, garlic and parmesan cheese.

Sainsburys )Another supermarket) has it too:
Tomato paste with anchovy, parmesan & garlic

I've not seen this before. It's just a few ingredients so east to make - I can just make my own with vegan parmesan-style cheese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom