What kind of butter do you buy?

Is American butter inferior? I don't know.

According to a lot of the American foodies I know, Kerrygold is like manna from heaven. I've tried it, and it tastes like butter, to me -- but expensive. I keep seeing it pop up here on CB, and don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe we need a butter thread???

CD

According to a lot of the American foodies I know, Kerrygold is like manna from heaven. I've tried it, and it tastes like butter, to me -- but expensive. I keep seeing it pop up here on CB, and don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe we need a butter thread???

CD

I've never bought Kerrygold that I can remember though it is on sale here. I think its Irish and has an American clientele maybe more than in the UK. There are lots of different butters on sale here.

I buy unsalted American butter though will occasionally buy Kerrygold or another European butter when I'm going to bake something special.

I believe European butters have a lower water content, which is better for baking and also gives a little richer mouth feel. Still taste like decent American butter, just a little richer/fattier.

I will not buy Winn Dixie brand butter because I personally find it to be an inferior product due to taste/mouth feel.

I buy unsalted American butter though will occasionally buy Kerrygold or another European butter when I'm going to bake something special.

I believe European butters have a lower water content, which is better for baking and also gives a little richer mouth feel. Still taste like decent American butter, just a little richer/fattier.

I will not buy Winn Dixie brand butter because I personally find it to be an inferior product due to taste/mouth feel.

Store brand butter is risky. I like Land-o-Lakes for my daily use. There are some butters with higher milkfat content, and I've tried them, but haven't been able to really tell a difference. In fact, Land-o-Lakes makes a "European Style" butter that is higher in milkfat.

CD

I've never bought Kerrygold that I can remember though it is on sale here. I think its Irish and has an American clientele maybe more than in the UK. There are lots of different butters on sale here.

It is not unusual for an imported food/beverage to be more popular in the US than in its homeland. Corona beer is a best seller in the US, while in Mexico, only "Gringo" tourists seem to drink it.

Good marketing can sell anything to someone.

CD

We generally use salted butter; Imperial, Orchid, Allowrie or Lurpak.

For cooking (except butter chicken) and spreading we use Meadowlea plant seed spread.

Butter s.jpg

We generally use salted butter; Imperial, Orchid, Allowrie or Lurpak.

For cooking (except butter chicken) and spreading we use Meadowlea plant seed spread.

I grew up with margarine, which is plant based (corn), because that was all my mom would allow in her kitchen. Back then, the corn industry convinced Americans that butter was deadly, while margarine was THE healthy alternative. People bought it. Keep in mind, back in my mom's day, the tobacco industry had Americans convinced that there were no health risks to smoking, and it was okay to drink alcoholic beverages while pregnant. :eek:

To this day, my mom and sister will not use butter. They still believe the 1960s marketing.

When I was learning to cook, and first tried real butter, it was an epiphany. :woot:

I have never tried any seed based "butter" products. I have tried some of the plant based milk alternatives, and decided I would take my chances health-wise with regular cow's milk.

CD

I usually buy Vital Farms, and it’s the highest fat content that I can find (84%), but lately, I’ve been buying this, because Kroger is about to stop selling it, so they’ve got it marked down:

F47B82D9-6F44-4AC1-9FC8-DB6588A04342.jpeg

I usually buy Vital Farms, and it’s the highest fat content that I can find (84%), but lately, I’ve been buying this, because Kroger is about to stop selling it, so they’ve got it marked down:

View attachment 95159

Land-O-Lakes has an "Extra Creamy" butter that is 82-percent milk fat, but it is not easy to find. You can probably get it, or something similar, at Whole Paycheck Market.

CD

Land-O-Lakes has an "Extra Creamy" butter that is 82-percent milk fat, but it is not easy to find. You can probably get it, or something similar, at Whole Paycheck Market.

CD
I can get that at Kroger. I’ve used it before, and like it.

Back
Top Bottom