What kind of butter do you buy?

lol-butter.jpg

I had to really look to fins this in my area. It is available in one store, and is on sale for $3.99 for eight ounces. That's still about 8 bucks a pound, compared to Land-O-Lakes at $5.78 per pound. The regular price makes it 10 bucks a pound. It also has to travel across the ocean, which gives it a larger carbon footprint.

If I get to Market Street anything soon, and it is still on sale for $3.99, I'll pick one up to see what it tastes like. My test food is scrambled eggs, and I know Kerrygold doesn't improve them, so I'll give Finlandia the scrambled egg test, and see what happens. The difference would have to be significant, because I already like the L-O-L I'm currently buying.

1674362182957.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
I usually buy store brand butter. I had Kerrygold for Christmas, but that got messed up. So I used it on my cranberry orange bread. I love LOL butter buy only buy it when it costs less than store brand.

Forgot to mention this French butter "presidént" with crunchy shards of seasalt. Maldon salt or any other finishing salt on regular butter is also one of a kind
We can get that here, though I’m not sure about the salt in it, as I always buy unsalted.

Forgot to mention this French butter "presidént" with crunchy shards of seasalt. Maldon salt or any other finishing salt on regular butter is also one of a kind

Yeah! There are a few other French butters like that - so delicious! You can simply spread some on some bread and its a gourmet treat.

The top drawer of the freezer looks like this:
IMG_0937.JPG

Butter on the left is 'everyday' butter (£10.80/kg), butter on the right is 'cooking' butter (£7.96/kg) ! Both, ALWAYS unsalted. Because you can always add seasoning to personal taste.
IMO, Président is the best commercial butter available.

Lescure is also very good, more expensive, £14.80/kg. Kerrygold is £9.60/kg.
LN_058397_BP_11.jpg

Some professional chefs swear by Echire.
36.jpg
Have eaten it a few times and it is delicious. To my uneducated palate, however, it is not worth the extra over Président. About £ 25/kg !!! (available in US @ $11.00/8.8 oz)

Kerry Gold is good. I only buy it occasionally when it's a holiday and have guests coming. It's a bit too soft for me but delicious. I buy the sticks and whipped. So good but I find the sticks to be much more substantial tasting.

Back
Top Bottom