What kind of music do you like?

Think I'm the only Ramones fan here.
Noisy, yup. :)

Russ
Yeah, that was what I was listening to in high school mostly, although I did like the Sex Pistols a little, too, but also liked old Beatles music (hahaha that it was old in the late 1970s but they weren't together anymore, so yeah), Boston, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, BTO, Scorpions, and much, much more. I have always loved jazz and blues and I love Motown, too.

When the 80s rolled around I despised Madonna and still do, not a big fan of the Go Go's or the Bangles, either. I also disliked a lot of the new wave music (Haircut 100) but I loved Prince (even though he wrote some music for the Bangles I think), Metallica, and heavy metal---but hated the big hair bands like Rat, Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, etc. In the 90s I added Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and others to my list. And in the 2000s I still like what I liked back then but also like System of a Down, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Avenge Sevenfold, and more. Still mostly a rocker but I also like classical music. I just don't really like pop music very much and not much in the way of country, and no rap. Well I like old country like Johnny Cash and David Allen Coe, but that's about it.

I'm pretty much with you until the 80's..I was big into Bowie, Stones, Lou Reed, then on to punk and New Wave..80's hit and I seemed to go in reverse, searching out garage rock, blues, jazz, etc and some earlier 60's stuff I missed...then, I went towards roots, alt country and outlaw country..I still listen to most of it at times..but the Pistols aren't really suitable dinner music any more..

I'm pretty much with you until the 80's..I was big into Bowie, Stones, Lou Reed, then on to punk and New Wave..80's hit and I seemed to go in reverse, searching out garage rock, blues, jazz, etc and some earlier 60's stuff I missed...then, I went towards roots, alt country and outlaw country..I still listen to most of it at times..but the Pistols aren't really suitable dinner music any more..
No, I love David Bowie, the Stones, and Lou Reed. I didn't mind some of the new wave music, but that crap they played on MTV was nauseating for the most part. I saw the Rolling Stones in 1981 on their first "farewell" tour :laugh: in New Orleans. I had 14 row on the floor tickets. I was tripping on acid and was convinced that Mick Jagger was the devil--he was up on a 4 story scaffolding singing "Sympathy for the Devil" and he was very convincing, LOL!

My first rock concert was Peter Frampton in 1974 and my second concert was Van Halen opening up for Journey at our skating rink/armory in 1978 when "Van Halen 1" came out and "Wheel in the Sky". I used to go the Jazz and Blues Fest in New Orleans every year in the 1990s and I saw Etta James, the Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, and so much more. Great times.

Just can't get into country for some reason. I've tried. I guess the closest I ever came was in the late 70s when I listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, 38 Special, etc., but that's all Southern rock, not country.

Edited to change that Van Halen 1 came out in 1978. That was a really long time ago but as I was thinking about it, I remembered I was a junior in high school.

Last edited:
Country has expanded to include a lot of different styles of music as far as I am concerned..the best stuff never makes the radio..The radio stuff I call "Hick Hop"...The new stuff is all canned crap from Nashville..it's Pop with hats...formulaic...

Country has expanded to include a lot of different styles of music as far as I am concerned..the best stuff never makes the radio..The radio stuff I call "Hick Hop"...The new stuff is all canned crap from Nashville..it's Pop with hats...formulaic...
I could see that.

Oh yeah I also liked Bob Marley, the Grateful Dead, Dave Matthew's Band, Government Mule...

Back
Top Bottom