What made you smile recently (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bright purple????
Russ

Sorry but thats really up to the guy whose place it is, a decorator shouldn't be imposing his tastes on someone else.

As you say Indo-asians love bright colours, he chose a colour he thought he'd enjoy and then wasn't allowed it.

I would have had to put my foot down, my kitchen, not yours and I'd like bright purple, thankyou!

And the painter/decorator has the right to refuse to use a color that they believe their client is going to hate once the job is done, which they will get blamed for and expected to do over for free or at a greatly reduced cost.

Those little paint samples can look great until they are up on a big area and then OMG.

Before we downsized and I was president of our HOA, the board decided to update the color schemes for when people decided to repaint their homes. For the white based homes that had gray roofs and had medium-light and dark gray as accent colors, we decided to keep the medium-light gray and use a beautiful color in the plum family on the paint chip card for the other accent color.

Our house was a white based home so I bought a gallon of the plum family paint and painted 2 of the accent areas on the front of our home because I wanted to see what it looked like. OMG, everybody hated it because it came out so purple when it was painted on 2 about 3 foot by 5 foot areas. I thought our neighbor across the street who was out doing yard work while I was painting was going to have a heart attack. I emailed all the board members and suggested they drive by my house to look at it, and added discussing changes to the new color palette to the next meeting agenda. The plum family color got changed to a sort of flagship blue by a unanimous vote.

I will add that we had used the services of the nationwide stand alone paint brand store in-house color consultant for suggestions, so even supposed pros can make missteps.

Last edited:
A few years ago a friend had built three houses just up the road from us and asked me to take some photographs so that she could advertise them on the internet. The lounge and bedrooms had floor tiles and the kitchen and bathrooms floor and half wall tiles. Where the hell she found the tiles I don't know but they were awful colours and no match for each other. I suggested that for any future projects she leave the choice of tiles to the potential buyers.

And the painter/decorator has the right to refuse to use a color that they believe their client is going to hate once the job is done, which they will get blamed for and expected to do over for free or at a greatly reduced cost.

Those were my thoughts, exactly. I lost count of the number of times I gave graphic design customers EXACTLY what they asked for, only to have them say "I don't like that," and expect me to redo it for free.

I developed a saying, "People don't really know what they want until they see what they don't want."

CD

Sorry but thats really up to the guy whose place it is, a decorator shouldn't be imposing his tastes on someone else.

As you say Indo-asians love bright colours, he chose a colour he thought he'd enjoy and then wasn't allowed it.

I would have had to put my foot down, my kitchen, not yours and I'd like bright purple, thankyou!

This guy I know would have walked away from the job. As I said they say on a mutual colour.

Russ

FB_IMG_1685503194181.jpg

Today we were at the seaside town of Llandudno, typical as in gift shops selling tat, fish and chips etc...not normally our thing but I saw families on holiday together, smiling, kids playing on the beach, people eating fresh made doughnuts, candyfloss...people looked happy and it took me back to my childhood of seaside holidays :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom