What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building my grocery list for early December, some of which includes items for an idea I have for a Tumeric Recipe. The list may change before I go.

It currently includes ...

Apples
Sliced or Stripped Beef
Bread
Calzones (Stefanos)
Caneloupe
Carrots
Cheese, Pepper Jack
Cheese, Provolone
Cheese, Ricotta
Cheese, Swiss
Chicken Patties
Chicken Breasts
Croissants, Breakfast (Jimmy Dean)
Cucumber
Fruit Juice, Various
Lamb Steak or Leg
Lamb, Ground
Lox
Mushrooms
Olive Oil
Pasta, Lasagna
Pasta, Penne
Pasta, Tortellini, 3 Cheese
Pasta, Tortellini, Spinach
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Pot Pies, (Turkey, Beef, Chicken)
Potato Chips, Jalapeno
Shallots

I also need to get a Christmas/New Years Wine. I prefer Cabernets, but may try a Riesling (depends on the planned holiday meals).

For supper tonight, gammon with parsley sauce.

I'm building my grocery list for early December, some of which includes items for an idea I have for a Tumeric Recipe. The list may change before I go.

It currently includes ...

I forgot the following...

Yellow Corn Harina
Nuts (Various) for Holiday Mixed Nuts

I have recently ordered online, Blue Corn Harina.

I'm having a hard time getting into the festive mood for food, which is really unusual for me. I think it's work-related, as work has been especially murderous to all that is Good and Sweet lately.

Anyway, got my monthly produce box from the farm around the corner:

Sad (not really) to report, that arugula went straight in the garbage, as I tried to pawn it off on three neighbors, and they all said no, not on your life.

I was also entitled to another squash, but I still have the squash from last month's box to deal with, so when he said, "Pick two or three," I stuck with two.

I've never cooked with chard before - I'm open to ideas... :whistling:

I also made a grocery run yesterday. I'll try and get that up.

There is no way you will like it. Its virtually the same as spinach. Although, what you seem to have there is rainbow chard so the stems provide an interest.

Maybe these veg boxes are not the best option for you?

There is no way you will like it. Its virtually the same as spinach. Although, what you seem to have there is rainbow chard so the stems provide an interest.

Maybe these veg boxes are not the best option for you?
Thanks. Regarding those stems - I already pitched those because the little bit I've read about chard always starts with, "Remove the green leaves from the stems and discard stems..." :laugh:

I do agree that we're not doing this next year, but I'm not sorry we did it this year. I just wish he'd let me trade arugula for potatoes or turnips or something.

But then, everybody probably says that. :)

I went to the store for a couple things, and as I always do, I went through the meat department to see what they had. I found some really nice USDA Choice NY Strips, so I bought them, and they had ultra-thin sliced ribeye, perfect for Philly Cheesesteaks, so I bought that, too. Of ourse, had to buy some rolls for the cheesesteaks. Not proper Amaroso's rolls from South Jersey, but you gotta' buy what you can buy.

So, one way or another, I guess... Beef, it's what's for dinner. Mercans will get that. For the rest of you...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tviyAIS9c_U

CD

I'm having a hard time getting into the festive mood for food, which is really unusual for me. I think it's work-related, as work has been especially murderous to all that is Good and Sweet lately.

Sad (not really) to report, that arugula went straight in the garbage, as I tried to pawn it off on three neighbors, and they all said no, not on your life.

I was also entitled to another squash, but I still have the squash from last month's box to deal with, so when he said, "Pick two or three," I stuck with two.

Jeez, you eat a lot of lettuce! Bravo!

Jeez, you eat a lot of lettuce! Bravo!
Well...left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't eat so much of it, but I do like it, mainly romaine and iceberg for salads, and leaf lettuce for sandwiches.

I have to admit, I don't care for the baby lettuce leaves much at all. No snap or crunch. That's what I like. However, we got all this yesterday afternoon and already, a third of the bag if the baby leaves are gone, and they'll make an appearance later in the "What'd You Cram In Your Lettuce-Hole" topic. :)

Well...left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't eat so much of it, but I do like it, mainly romaine and iceberg for salads, and leaf lettuce for sandwiches.

I have to admit, I don't care for the baby lettuce leaves much at all. No snap or crunch. That's what I like. However, we got all this yesterday afternoon and already, a third of the bag if the baby leaves are gone, and they'll make an appearance later in the "What'd You Cram In Your Lettuce-Hole" topic. :)

Other than the Kale, I'd eat all of that stuff you got.

CD

Squash is butternut pumpkin here, and my fave. Arugular is swede here I boil and mash with butter and lots pepper, it's yummy. Chard is similar to silver beet we have here, I steam it or cook in butter. Great haul btw. We are eating lettuces spring onions and radishes from our garden.

Russ

Arugular is swede here I
Arugula is a leafy green with a peppery taste, aka garden rocket.
We grow wild rocket here. I love it. It makes for an excellent pesto (the peppery taste decreases significantly in a few days after the pesto is made). I grow it by the wheelbarrow load in my veg plot letting the plants flower and self seed. It has fed a number of nectar feeding birds through the whole of winter . We're just waiting for the next crop of leaves to get older to develop their peppery taste in time for Christmas.

Arugula, aka rocket in red.

Last edited:
Shopping on the list, stuff for mr8 ( turns 8 on Tuesday) I'm buying for his dinner, nachos and murican hot dogs. We will have fillet Mignon. Mushroom and/ or garlic sauce.
We have a few places to visit today. A market gardener who has new potatoes ( my friend rang and told me) and maybe Beetroot to bottle?
We will visit halal butcher for lamb and steaks.
Westmeats as they have chicken breasts at $7 kg so my wife tells me. We will stock up. I plan doing lemon chicken again it was that good.
New world supermarket as they have turkey roasts on special. ( Xmas day)
Same place my friend says they have pickled pork, I need a decent piece for Xmas day. My son will boycott if I don't have it Xmas lunch. He will take home a cold sammich as well, with Apple sauce.
So a big day shopping today. Btw it's Saturday here!!

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom