What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from the 'weekly' shopping here as well. It's become more of an expedition however because my parents have the vehicle that I can get my wheelchair in and out of, so I need hubby to be able to come with me which means tying it in with a physio appointment for him. And he's still on crutches. In fact whilst at the petrol station one very concerned little old lady actually asked me if we'd been been injured in a road accident! Admittedly we were both on crutches at this point, me asking the cashier to allow me to fill both tanks (98 Octane & LPG) and pay in one go and hubby fighting with the fuel caps which are stupidly close to each other and interfere with each other.

Any how... shops were well stocked given the current situation and desserted of people. My parents said it was the exact opposite on Sunday afternoon. I wonder why :scratchhead: ?

Bananas
Diet lemon Cordial
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Chilli & Red Pepper Fava beans
Smokey Paprika Harvest Bean Snaps
Frys Fishless Fillets
Dorset Berry Granola
Dorset Nutty Granola
Ayam's Coconut Cream
Chickpea Tempeh
Soy Tempeh
Vegan Sausages
Meatfree Roast Duck
Twinings Lemon Twist Tea Bags
Brown Onions
Dark Rye Sourdough
Lotus Biscoff (Biscuits that are dairy free)
Vegan Ravioli - Pumpkin & Roast Hazelnut
Chickpea flour
Raspberries
Strawberries
Sweet Berry Truss Tomatoes
Hummous
Tofu
Cauliflower
Avocado
Carrots
Extra long matches.

plus a couple of items not on my shopping list that were 'finds':
Vegan Jerky (as a snack)
vegan Creamy mushroom sauce

A lot of fruit & veg is coming out of either our garden or our freezer so we're mostly buying other items. Yoghurt & bread, dairy free cheese, jams or other spreads, vegan butter and so on are all made at home.
If we had wanted toilet paper, tissues or kitchen roll provided we didn't mind the make (I do mind), I could have purchased some quite easily. Flour on the other hand is another matter entirely and only bread mixes are currently available and only in limited supply. Luckily it is the make I use and I have enough for another 10 loaves (1 bag of breadmix and 2kg of rye flour left) which is about 2 weeks of bread. I'll have to start hunting for rye flour now though because that really is going to be a challenge with it being difficult to find even at the best of times and my usual source isn't currently open.

I also noticed that my normal brand of soy milk - Bonsoy, is now back in stock (first time since February!) and not only in the soyamilk variety but in an almond milk variety as well. Once we have worked our way through the milk reserves here, my parents very keenly kept delivering us 2 L every time they came until our fridge was litterally full of it and we had to ask them to change to something else. They have done tinned toms to death now as well! Hubby now gets a few bananas each visit and they are stocking up my garage with chook food (genuinely needed btw), however tomorrow is a medication run. The chemist only let me know that my meds were ready for collection after we had passed the and and final road we could have taken to backtrack to where they are, so it has had to be left for my parents to collect tomorrow when they are in town (think larger village rather than UK town size).

Still morning here, getting yeast and a few other things later. Wife has ordered lamb chops on line at unheard of prices here $13 kg.
These will be tandooried, is that a word???

Russ

Standard price here is 9 euro's for 500 g so you are still getting them quite cheap. Lamb meat is considered a luxury here. Weird, because our neighbour countries eat it regularly.

Todays weekly delivery. Some more convenience foods because I need to save energy.

Butter 2x
Milk
Yoghurt
Cream
Eggs ( two dozen this time, yay!)
Self raising flour
Radishes
Cucumber
Pears
Cabbage
Carrots
Oranges
Blueberries
New potatoes
Onions
Whole wheat bread
Ravioli
Frozen pizza
INDOmie Noodles
Krupuk ( Indonesian prawn crackers)
Sambal Badjak
Green lombok peppers
Sweet soy sauce
Chicken breast x2
Potato chips
Sandwich spread
Hotdogs ( for kids)
Margarine ( for kids)
Rusk ( for kids)
Pancakes ( for kids)

Most meats, vegetables, starches and tinned foods come from our pantry and freezer so most of what we buy for our weekly shop is fresh produce.

Pick up order yesterday
No yeast
romaine
jalapenos
lemons
bell peppers
Orange juice
san Marzano tomatoes (4 cans!)
1/2 gallon Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream
G's fiber supplement
Fish oil to make cat food
bananas
Vanilla wafers
6 pack of 8 oz. glass bottles of Coca cola
Wine
G has been craving banana pudding
I want to make an everything lemon
lemon cake
I also want to make pizza and bread.
I will probably have to venture out to find yeast. ☹
Almost forgot- my seed order came in. 😄

I keep a cart going. When I think of something it gets added to the cart. I will do a pick up every 4 or 5 days.
I REALLY do not want to go to the store. G is beside himself with boredom. I will send him. 😊
Two birds with one stone

BTW he wears a mask and gloves and has wipes to clean the cart. Our own cloth bags that are washed after every use. Every thing goes on the patio
I bring items in individually and wash before storing
G can be like a large child- fortunately
he is taking this seriously and pays attention to distancing.
I do have to remind him to wash his hands.
Honestly he is like an animal in a cage. He really needs to get out if only for 30 minutes.

Not so much what I bought, it's what I forgot.
Had to nip to the shop for basics, bread, milk etc.
While there got the remaining ingredients to make Aromatic Beef Curry. Sirloin, garlic, turmeric, spinach leaves etc.
Later, at home, I started the prep and laying out the ingredients (I prefer to lay them out so I don't forget something) and then suddenly realised I didn't get the plain yoghurt. Bum!

NVM, we ate something else and I'll get yoghurt tomozz.

I think full list was Golden syrup, bread, spinach leaves, sirloin, garlic, lemons, turmeric, Pepsi Max, turkey slices, chicken slices, butter, button mushrooms.

That's called 'mis en place' and its what chefs do! :okay:

I nearly always do this when cooking Oriental dishes as they are often cooked with some speed and you don't have time to start fiddling round slicing and dicing halfway through.
I do it with other dishes simply because so often I get to a 'busy' part of the recipe and forget something in the rush.
Then, while eating, I think "oh spherical objects" "I forgot 'X'."

That's called 'mis en place' and its what chefs do! :okay:
I almost always do this and still manage to mess it up half the time. When I made onion gravy earlier, I had to start over with some of the ingredients because MrsTasty started talking to me while I setting out ingredients, and if some ingredients, like spices, get added at the same time, I'll put them in a single prep dish.

Well, she started yapping at me, and (here's the best bit), while I was telling her to quit distracting me, I doubled up the salt, and had to throw all the spices out and start over. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom