What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, settle in, it's a long one:

Chewing gum
Dog food loaf (x5)
Bottled water
Shredded mozzarella
Yogurt (x4)
Butter
Peppered chicken lunch meat
Eggs
Canned crushed tomatoes
Canned diced tomatoes
Raw almonds
Dog food pâté
Olive Oil
Potato chips/crisps
Fruit gummy snacks
Polenta
Zero candy bar (consumed in the car)
Apple butter
Hard pretzels
Green beans
Celery
Rainbow carrots
Onions
Russets
Lemons
Bananas
Apples
Salad greens
Bacon
Cube steak
Half & half
Milk
Buttermilk
Feta
Sharp cheddar
Sliced salami
Sliced pepperoni
Reusable produce bags

This trip was onerous, to say the least. I went to the gourmet shop first, since they were so well stocked last time, and they had most of what I wanted, except for a few crucial items, so I had to drive a few miles further down the road to Kroger, and they had everything else except for dog food, so I had to circle around to another Kroger in order to get dog food, which I desperately needed, as she was on her last meal at the house.

Three hours. It took three <censored> hours! 😡

The thing is, and I've touched on this before, grocery shopping is so damn miserable now, I hate it. Some of the stuff I bought because it was close to what I wanted, but not the exact thing I wanted, and I couldn't be bothered to go look for what I really wanted. I just wanted to get in and get out again. :(

I feel your pain. I REALLY wanted to shop. More about needing to get out. After MG's scolding and Sarana's heartbreak I decided to stay home and have a delivery. Manchego instead of Gruyere. Ok. Instead of 2 packages of frozen rise and bake bread dough I got 2 packs of frozen puff pastry dough. No yeast. I did get pizza dough from a local pizza restaurant. Curb side pickup.
I honestly don't know why I am complaining.
We are blessed with enough food to last for months. My desire for specialty items is a sign of boredom not need. I must get over myself.
I have to remember that there are members of our community who are suffering with great losses and others who are struggling with difficult situations. Who cares if I can not get yeast. I am ashamed of my petty complaints.

Who cares if I can not get yeast.
If I lived closer is send you some, but international post is not working at present. UK to Australia has failed repeatedly recently.... I guess it will all arrive in one go, around the time the intended recipients actually leave the country and finally make it back to the UK!

I had a good stash before the problems started because I buy a bread mix (multigrain) and use that as the starting point for my bread. ⅔rds multigrain, ⅓rd rye flour. The mix is literally just flour and grain, nothing more but I've been unable to obtain mixed grain to make my own so have up trying. The problem jus that each 5kg bag comes with 2*25g of yeast. Now it's only meant to make 10 loaves. 5g of yeast per loaf? Yeah right. I tried that and the loaf left the tin and got out to explore the breadmaker and then when bored tried to get out onto the counter as well... My loaves even with 200g of rye flour only use 1.6g of yeast for a 600g loaf. That more than rises sufficiently, I'm still refining the actual mix, dropping the yeast quantity slowly by 0.05g a loaf...

So I now have 10 unopened vacuum sealed 25packetsg of yeast in the fridge and despite trying to give them away, no one wanted them because I wouldn't deliver them! Grrr.

I'll donate them to the food bank tomorrow. My mother is making a run there this weekend with a few items of winter clothing they were given to help them out that don't fit (so returning them so others to be given them). The local community is supporting 5 families needing help at present.

My desire for specialty items is a sign of boredom not need.

Me too - cooking and inventing recipes is my main hobby (obsession) and I'm used to ordering whatever takes my fancy. Now what I'm doing is being inventive with what I have. So - I'm still being creative. Like you I am blessed to have enough food here to last months if necessary. Plus a garden in which there are fresh herbs.

Could you freeze it?
I get 2 * 25g sachets each time I buy the flour mix. I use 1.6g per loaf. The bag is a 5kg bag and with the mix I make up, I use 400g per 1kg loaf (400g flour mix, 200g rye flour 400g water = 1kg loaf) so I get 12 loaves per bag. 12*1.6 isn't half of what they provide!

I've put it up on the local FB group for a 2nd time threatening to throw it away... I've had 2 people respond this time, 1 is actually my neighbour roughly 1.5km away (yes they are the closest in that direction) so at least half of it will be taken by the time the day is out. I think my other neighbour in the other direction is 2km away (house numbers here tell you exactly how far away the turning to your house is from the start of the road (heading to towards the post office) so 1903 (not mine) is immediately after 1900 which is 19.00km from the start of your road. 1903 tells me that the gate is within 30 meters of 1900. What they don't tell you is which side of the road it is on unlike the UK.

Settle in, it was a haul this morning:

Parmesan wedge
Cantaloupe
Lemons
Apples
Asparagus
Red onion
Cucumber
Celery
Carrots
Lettuce (two types)
Spaghetti
Pizza sauce
Ramen noodles
Chicken wings
Italian sausage links
Dried basil
Italian seasoning
Flour (two types)
Sugar
Vanilla
Canned tuna
Canned chicken
Cereal (two boxes)
Breakfast sausage links
Crackers
Chuck roasts (buy one get one!)
Chicken legs
Chicken thighs
Breakfast sausage roll
Bacon
Ice cream (buy one get one!)
Half-and-half
Milk
American cheese
Cream cheese
Butter
Water
Eggs
Little wines (for cooking)
Champagne
Beer
Garlic

Farmers cheese
Coconut yoghurt
A dozen eggs
Milk
Cream
Salted butter
Apples
Zuchini
Radishes
Oranges
Strawberries
Bananas
Asparagus, white
Watercress
White rolls
Chicken satay sandwich spread for my husband
Cranberry pate for me
Bacon
Smoked duck breast slices
Lamb cutlets
Lamb sausage
Garam masala
Oatmeal
Pecans
Potatoes

No shortages here. Freezers still full. Mother's Day here Sunday so I may do half ham glazed.???
We shall see what kids are doing?
Tasty there's only two of you eh? That's a lot of food!!

Russ
Yep, just the two of us. Initially, most of what I was buying was just produce, but when the meat case was fairly well stocked, I bought a few extra things. We've got enough meat now for probably two months.

The coming shortage here is because a couple of our meat producers had to close some processing plants due to workers coming down with the virus. I think Smithfield (pork) and Tyson (chicken, beef, and pork) have been affected. Wendy's (fast food giant) had to take hamburgers off their menu in about 20% of their restaurants.

I doubt it'll last long, it'll be like the toilet paper and flour shortages, it'll pass after a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom