What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I'm impressed with the strawberries from Kroger today. It's early for berries here, and what we usually get at the best of times are ones that are whiter than snow inside. These are fairly ripe:

Where do your strawberries come from? They are not in season yet in the UK, so most of what's available come from Spain. The Spanish varieties look fantastic, but generally lack the taste of our home grown ones.

I must say I'm impressed with the strawberries from Kroger today. It's early for berries here, and what we usually get at the best of times are ones that are whiter than snow inside. These are fairly ripe:

Are those Driscoll's? That's what Kroger here has, and I've been so tempted to buy some, but it is a few weeks early.

CD

Where do your strawberries come from? They are not in season yet in the UK, so most of what's available come from Spain. The Spanish varieties look fantastic, but generally lack the taste of our home grown ones.

Mostly California, commercially. They will grow in lots of places in the US, but California produces most of the berries found in grocery stores. They are very good when they peak. They are at peak ripeness and sweetness around the second week of June, usually.

CD

This week's list

Farmer's cheese
Halloumi
Milk
Eggs (10)
Coconut yoghurt
Oranges
Pears
Strawberries
Banana's
Fresh chives & basil
Carrots
Bell peppers
Zuchini
Mushrooms
Baby corn
Beets
Potatoes
Onions
Lamb cutlets
Stewing beef
Hoisin sauce
Grated coconut
Frozen fries
Chicken nuggets (kids)
Liver sausage
Chickpeas
Tahini paste
Indomie goreng (noodles)
Potato chips
Honey & salted nut mix

And my three monthly delivery of organic chicken is coming on saturday.

Mostly California, commercially. They will grow in lots of places in the US, but California produces most of the berries found in grocery stores. They are very good when they peak. They are at peak ripeness and sweetness around the second week of June, usually.

CD
I never really thought about it before, but being such a large country with huge climate variations does this mean that most things are in season somewhere, all year round?

These say "Product Of USA," so that likely means California.

Are those Driscoll's? That's what Kroger here has, and I've been so tempted to buy some, but it is a few weeks early.

CD
Yessir, and they were 2 packs for $5, so now I'm kicking myself for buying just the one pack.

It was yesterday I shopped, and it was the FIRST day since March 16th that I got into a city to hit a semi-supermarket to shop. It's sort of a mostly organic market, small enough scale that I felt okay going into it. There was a line but it moved fast. And everyone in there respected personal space. (It is also now state-mandatory to wear masks in public or commercial buildings.) I went during Senior Hour.

I bought:

1 avocado
Puff pastry
Oricchette organic pasta
Pepper in a pepper grinder
Quality plain yogurt - picky about this, but I am planning to use some as a home-made yogurt starter.
both salted and unsalted butter - Kate's Creamery, which along with Kerrygold are the only brands I seem to trust.
Two types of cheese - one was Gouda.
Riojo wine.
Mussels
Chicken wings
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 pre-made deli Spanikopita (which I re-heated in the oven, and had for lunch)

They didn't have any disposable wipes, or anything for a sluggish kitchen drain. They had beef and chicken limits for purchase, but not for pork.

You'll notice a lack of vegetables up there. I've been getting them from MassFoodDelivery (which is a local farm delivery group) and I alternate weekly with Misfits Market (which is a not-so-local thing here in the US, and from which I can also get citrus - since citrus isn't really doing much in Massachusetts right now...)

The Misfits Market biweekly box arrived yesterday, too. (They are under a lot of stress right now - lotsa folk ordering from them - last order I got ONE small potato!) Let's see what's in there - I left the package outside overnight to sort of decontaminate, and it was refrigerator-temp...

So that's on the NEXT post!

Misfits Market Package:

Arriving yesterday, opening now (as noted the overnight temps outside were refrigerator-worthy):

Contains:

Jalapeno peppers
Baby bella mushrooms
Lemon - 2
Limes - 4
Orange - 1
Sweet onion / Vidalia
Kale
Romaine lettuce
Broccoli
Parsley
Cilantro!
Sweet potatoes
Yukon potatoes (2 but small... I'll just combine it up with last delivery's one)
AND: a 2.5 oz / 70 g bar of Taza Wicked Dark Chocolate, which will probably not see itself through tomorrow...

Misfits Market Package:

Arriving yesterday, opening now (as noted the overnight temps outside were refrigerator-worthy):

Contains:

Jalapeno peppers
Baby bella mushrooms
Lemon - 2
Limes - 4
Orange - 1
Sweet onion / Vidalia
Kale
Romaine lettuce
Broccoli
Parsley
Cilantro!
Sweet potatoes
Yukon potatoes (2 but small... I'll just combine it up with last delivery's one)
AND: a 2.5 oz / 70 g bar of Taza Wicked Dark Chocolate, which will probably not see itself through tomorrow...

This seems like a good selection of veg. Does 'misfits' mean they are like wonky veg that can't be sold to supermarkets? How much did that box cost, out of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom