What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some garlic from the market yesterday.

I've been trying like crazy to get some kirsch -
The late great Tommo would make is own from his cherry trees in Drnis. He had two big ten gallon earthenware pots that he would fill with cherries (the first fruit to ripen) add sugar and leave loosely covered in the sun. When it was ready he would run the liquid through the legal still. Plums were treated the same way. I'm not sure this is his complete method. I loved his walnut liqueur made from his trees, I never saw him make it. He made a breakfast herbal drink called travaritza which is a bottle of home made rakija (around 112 proof ) with field herbs added and left for a min of one year, a shot for breakfast has renowned medicinal properties . You can buy the stills online here.NB the family on Hvar farm lavender and use the essential oil still. Obrt fresl - proizvodnja svih vrsta kotlova vrhunske kvalitete - 100% hrvatski proizvod

Last edited:
Intrigued by the photo - Is it growing in that spot or has it been harvested from the sea?

Have you ever eaten it?

I like Samphire, although I can’t eat it often when in Milano because is not easy to find it at supermarkets. And I have never been so lucky to see one “live”. So you can image my big surprise when during my walk on the shore, I saw it growing in the sand.
I’ve preferred to leave it there peaceful and free 😊

I don't usually buy supermarket chicken, but Tesco had some free-range corn fed chicken thighs on offer yesterday. They were browned off last night, along with some oddments of vegetables, onions, garlic, and went into a slow cooker along with a fresh bouquet garni from the garden, half a bottle of white wine and a tub of chicken stock from the freezer. It sat overnight in the fridge, and put on a low setting this morning to simmer throughout the day. It is smelling divine already.

The liquor store (either Winn-Dixie or Total Wines and Spirits) opens everyday at 9:00 AM. Except on Xmas day. We used to have that religious rule regarding buying beer and liquor before noon on Sunday, but folks got smart.

There is a Total Wine and Spirits right across the Frisco border. That place is pretty impressive. Ours opens at 10AM, M-Sat, and has to close at 9PM, by state law. No store that sells spirits can be open on Sundays, also state law. Beer and wine can be sold after 12Noon on Sundays at grocery stores and convenience stores (gas stations).

CD

Last edited:
Chick-fil-A was seeking to get into stadiums as a vendor. Most professional football games are played on Sunday. Why would a stadium want to lease vendor space to a vendor that is closed on Sunday? I'm sure the stadium also shares in the profits as well.

Chick-fil-a had the same problem getting into some airports. Some people yelled "religious freedom," but the true fact is airports didn't want a restaurant that would be closed on Sundays -- a busy travel day (normally).

CD

Mrs Blank says one is enough for tonight BBQ. This one weight 950 grams, the kettle is next to it for comparison. I agreed because she agreed to gravy, mash and something green.

Oh, did I have fun today! I ended up going to one of my favorite grocery stores, one that carries stuff I can't get anywhere else. I can't describe what a joy it was to go back in, even if I didn't get to ramble up and down the aisles like I usually do.

Here's what I got:

Milk
Half-And-Half*
Sandwich spread
Yogurt
Applesauce
Trail bologna 😍
Baby Swiss cheese
Baby cukes
Celery
Cube steak (6 for $6!)
Bratwurst patties 🥰
Quisp cereal
Twining's decaf chai
Blueberry Frosted Mini-Wheats 😘
Pita chips
Ginger snaps
Coconut cookies
Onion-Garlic chips/crisps
Shearer's chips/crisps 💗
Dot's pretzels
Big-ass bag o' cheddar popcorn

*Technically, I was there to get half-and-half and that was it. 🙊

...and it looks like spirits through online ordering is a no-go in Ohio. Still googling, but that's what I'm coming up with. Beer and wine, yes, if the seller has the proper permits, but no on spirts.

We had that too here under lockdown, our supermarkets all sell beer and wine. I by passed the system as I have a friend I could get rum in any quantities. I'm currently stockpiling rum in my garage. I buy every week 6 X 1litre bottles. Just in case?

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom