What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winn Dixie does that, especially on the weekends, to try to get people to come to their store. We got a big package of wings for 1/3 of the regular price because they are on sale for everybody and even more so if you are a member of their Rewards program, plus you get points you can use as cash for your groceries. The brisket we got recently was just over 1/3 of the regular price. I watch the meat sales at WD because they have the best prices other than the restaurant supply place.

So many things but my best score yesterday was at HFM (fruit & veg) they had a weird $3 box full of carrots, parsnips, zucchini, cucumbers, avocados and scotch bonnets chillies plus a singular yellow banana pepper that need using asap.

That was screaming out to be a soup with maybe some curry flavours and red lentils, so that’s simmering on the stove right now.

The avocado went on toast for breakfast & the cucumber in last nights salad.

67B58361-375E-449F-AFB4-BF2498AA840A.jpeg
D59A7E69-08B2-40F0-AED1-89DB8976F74F.jpeg

Todays haul - had an adventure out to Cabramatta, which is Sydney’s centre for Asian migrants. Mostly Vietnamese & Chinese. Then we went a few suburbs over to look for a Somali restaurant which was closed but there was a lovely Persian market, selling the most beautiful pomegranate. We bought some of the $6kg ones but there was a premium version too.

We did also pass a truck with guys selling crates of pomegranates.

Instant congee
Veggie shredding tool
Boba kit
Flavoured salt - for dipping fresh fruit or fried food
Rice cakes, dried
Black sesame pudding kit
Giant heavy pomegranates
Salted dried ginger (jerky house)
Chicken seasoning (also good for pork)
Pomegranates

6067134A-3934-41EE-9D3D-D21807B60B1C.jpeg

I left the 25kg bag of MSG but it just boggled the mind. Im not anti MSG but I do use it sparingly.
BE0A1EE1-365C-4349-866C-F78E0444E6F1.jpeg

Todays haul - had an adventure out to Cabramatta, which is Sydney’s centre for Asian migrants. Mostly Vietnamese & Chinese. Then we went a few suburbs over to look for a Somali restaurant which was closed but there was a lovely Persian market, selling the most beautiful pomegranate. We bought some of the $6kg ones but there was a premium version too.

We did also pass a truck with guys selling crates of pomegranates.

Instant congee
Veggie shredding tool
Boba kit
Flavoured salt - for dipping fresh fruit or fried food
Rice cakes, dried
Black sesame pudding kit
Giant heavy pomegranates
Salted dried ginger (jerky house)
Chicken seasoning (also good for pork)
Pomegranates

View attachment 99181

I left the 25kg bag of MSG but it just boggled the mind. Im not anti MSG but I do use it sparingly. View attachment 99182.

Interesting haul - but I'll pass on the MSG. I have one of those julienne cutters. They are very handy.

Yesterday I used my lunch break to get some spelt flour, some manitoba flour (a first for me, curious to try it out), a gluten free flour mixture (beside corn starch, corn flour and rice flour, has some xantan in it, and makes amazing pancakes that are soft and stretchy), some gluten free pasta.

And a nice little couscous, dried tomatoes, hummus to-go salad for the lunch.

The spelt flour is at good price at that particular shop (2,07 euro), and the manitoba flour had the same price 2,07, so I thought, why not. In other shops it ranges between 2,92 to 3,85 eur per kg.

Illustration for the manitoba flour from shopguru website.
1682529132713.jpeg
1682529132713.jpeg

A few goodies that arrived at the end of last week.

The Kashmiri saffron on the left is the new stuff. And I tried blooming it on ice as a test for the quality. It passed with flying colours.

Hubby picked up some rose water for me (the small bottle) at the weekend not realising I had ordered some (the large bottle). So we've 2 brands to choose from now. The small bottle is the same brand as our favourite pomegranate molasses (that's not a sweet one) which I guess is why he picked it up.

The tea bags are herbal ones which I quite like. Nice enough not too need sugar in it, but a touch of maple syrup adds something extra. Each bag makes a litre of tea though, not just 1 cup.

A freebie tea bag (saffron and black tea) plus some rose buds and a saffron sugar crystal stick.

And finally some rose petals and dried pomegranate flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom