What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s start with the good stuff:
144E0897-D7EC-4D58-9E07-4D3D651DA941.jpeg

That Prosecco was $6US and that beer…wait for it, British friends, was $3 for four beers.

3C94C7B2-A1DC-4648-9855-857540174AEE.jpeg

494261DF-DAA3-45EB-B420-D808E01E630C.jpeg

I’d never seen that rösti or that kraut product before, so I had to try those. I got the sugar cube because…I don’t know why I got those. :scratchhead:

C9779290-F2DA-4622-A96F-A89A7E1650F1.jpeg

Last week, I got Pik-Nik sticks in salt & vinegar flavor, because did never seen any other flavor than plain/regular. Now…hot and cheddar cheese!

FC42A0F8-1AB2-48F2-B30A-2ED6AC635507.jpeg

That’s the main thing I went for, for Easter. Of course, you realize I bought all that other stuff, went through a long Saturday line, pushed it out to the car in 40mph winds…and forgot to buy it, so I had to go back in and repeat it all over.

That’s the main thing I went for, for Easter. Of course, you realize I bought all that other stuff, went through a long Saturday line, pushed it out to the car in 40mph winds…and forgot to buy it, so I had to go back in and repeat it all over.
You were clearly having too much fun! Lol

TLDR - There can be gluten in meat and it’s difficult to manage if you have allergies.

Lots of meat contains gluten sounding additives or actual gluten to improve mouth feel or help glue small pieces together so they look like one large piece. Ham is a corker for it.

Usually you see a form of wheat dextrose which is generally so processed it’s actually safe for coeliacs but unless they declare it is you just don’t know.
People see meat and think that’s it, it’s just meat because why wouldn’t it be? Sadly often it’s not.

I wanted to buy a cooked chicken from the delicatessen a while ago. I asked if they had an ingredients list.
The woman behind the counter was outstandingly rude repeating “it’s chicken” like I was a moron and making a show of it trying to get the other shoppers to join in scathing.

I politely explained meat especially cooked meat often has other ingredients added and I’d like to know if there were any extras in that chicken.

Of course she sneered and said “ITS CHICKEN”

I said so you can guarantee there’s nothing in that chicken other than chicken?

“It’s chicken”

“Ok if it is just chicken then what’s that brown colouring painted on the chicken to make it look roasted?”

Silence

“I’d like an ingredient list if you don’t mind”

“It’s..”

No longer cool with it I say
“DON’T say chicken! The fact is you don’t know what the colourant on the chicken skin is, you don’t know if it has any extra additives or fillers in it and you could potentially make someone with serious allergies very ill”

She’s stopped sneering at me now but her distain and desire to try and humiliate me had my back up, my bossy voice appeared from somewhere deep down..

“It is against the law for you to sell products without an ingredient list, your lack of knowledge, understanding or any clue about what the chicken contains is both irresponsible and dangerous. I should report Sainsbury’s to trading standards so find out what ingredients are in the products you sell before you harm someone! What is your name and where is customer service?!”

Anyway customer services also had no idea, the stuff was sent in unlabelled but they did sort it out eventually.

This is the collateral damage from food faddist saying they can’t eat this or that when in reality they can. The people in restaurants who ask for dairy free but then order ice-cream for pud, we’ve all seen it.

It just makes it damn hard when your dealing with real allergies because firstly it’s embarrassing to have to try and get past a ‘tish n pish’ attitude and secondly serious when the OP doesn’t know what they’re selling ☹️

ps if you zoom in on the ham label above you’ll see what I mean about meat having ‘extras’

Last edited:
Winona wants Lasagne. This is a product we carry. It’s really thin and you can just build the lasagne without cooking it. I make the sauce extra runny and top it up with a bit of beef broth so the pasta can absorb the liquid. I use béchamel for this one so the result is quite different. Pics to follow.

36C6DF32-B014-4467-B2E7-BEA24F51B801.jpeg

TLDR - There can be gluten in meat and it’s difficult to manage if you have allergies.

Lots of meat contains gluten sounding additives or actual gluten to improve mouth feel or help glue small pieces together so they look like one large piece. Ham is a corker for it.

Usually you see a form of wheat dextrose which is generally so processed it’s actually safe for coeliacs but unless they declare it is you just don’t know.
People see meat and think that’s it, it’s just meat because why wouldn’t it be? Sadly often it’s not.

I wanted to buy a cooked chicken from the delicatessen a while ago. I asked if they had an ingredients list.
The woman behind the counter was outstandingly rude repeating “it’s chicken” like I was a moron and making a show of it trying to get the other shoppers to join in scathing.

I politely explained meat especially cooked meat often has other ingredients added and I’d like to know if there were any extras in that chicken.

Of course she sneered and said “ITS CHICKEN”

I said so you can guarantee there’s nothing in that chicken other than chicken?

“It’s chicken”

“Ok if it is just chicken then what’s that brown colouring painted on the chicken to make it look roasted?”

Silence

“I’d like an ingredient list if you don’t mind”

“It’s..”

No longer cool with it I say
“DON’T say chicken! The fact is you don’t know what the colourant on the chicken skin is, you don’t know if it has any extra additives or fillers in it and you could potentially make someone with serious allergies very ill”

She’s stopped sneering at me now but her distain and desire to try and humiliate me had my back up, my bossy voice appeared from somewhere deep down..

“It is against the law for you to sell products without an ingredient list, your lack of knowledge, understanding or any clue about what the chicken contains is both irresponsible and dangerous. I should report Sainsbury’s to trading standards so find out what ingredients are in the products you sell before you harm someone! What is your name and where is customer service?!”

Anyway customer services also had no idea, the stuff was sent in unlabelled but they did sort it out eventually.

This is the collateral damage from food faddist saying they can’t eat this or that when in reality they can. The people in restaurants who ask for dairy free but then order ice-cream for pud, we’ve all seen it.

It just makes it damn hard when your dealing with real allergies because firstly it’s embarrassing to have to try and get past a ‘tish n pish’ attitude and secondly serious when the OP doesn’t know what they’re selling ☹️

ps if you zoom in on the ham label above you’ll see what I mean about meat having ‘extras’
I know two people with celiac disease. They can't have anything that has even a whiff of gluten. Some people find it weird, because there's a lot of people out there who are or claim to be gluten sensitive or gluten intolerant, and they can still have gluten in small amounts, but people with serious food allergies can have really bad outcomes if they have just a tiny bit of the stuff they're allergic to.

I know two people with celiac disease. They can't have anything that has even a whiff of gluten. Some people find it weird, because there's a lot of people out there who are or claim to be gluten sensitive or gluten intolerant, and they can still have gluten in small amounts, but people with serious food allergies can have really bad outcomes if they have just a tiny bit of the stuff they're allergic to.

Very true.

For some it really is simply the quantity they eat. Sadly I’m not one of them and fall into the even a whiff category 😂

After my doc visit this morning, a regular visit, we went to the Asian market and picked up Napa cabbage, daikon, Shao Zang (phonetic spelling) cooking wine, dark sweet soy sauce, and some super thin, well marbled slices of beef. Not sure what it will be used for yet, but there are lots of options.

Then, we went to a regular grocery store to pick up a few things for a squash blossom dish. We also got some BOGO Dove chocolate and Nathan's hot dogs. We also found a prime rib on sale for a third of its regular price.

So, between the whole brisket, the chuck roast and now the prime rib, we are all beefed up!

I have a young cousin with celiac disease. I also have some friends who just jumped on the "gluten is bad for you" bandwagon. They never had any problem with gluten until the internet told them they did. :facepalm:

CD

They never had any problem with gluten until the internet told them they did. :facepalm:
Yeah, my mother was/is the same. She used to blame tap water for her IBS, but the tap water where we used to live was very hard and didn't taste great with lots of chemicals added. Filtering it definitely improved both the taste and the clarity of the water. But when they were stranded over here, initially we had been getting mineral water in large 40L containers for her, but Covid meant availability issues, and she discovered she liked my diet lemon cordial a lot and we would make up a jug of it which everyone helped themselves to. We made it with tap water because we hadn't expected my mum to help herself to it, but she's lazy. It was ready made and in the fridge, much easier than making her own up... my step-father asked us not to mention it was rain water, unfiltered and untreated, that she was drinking. She did realise eventually but she veg drinking it for a month by that point and hadn't had issues, so she had to give up on that excuse so to speak, at least whilst she was in Australia.

Now she's excluding gluten from her diet, all gluten totally. She says she feels better, less wind, less IBS issues, my stepfather gives me that look that says "don't go there" behind her back. But she's happier so I guess that's all that counts. She even puts up with gluten free stuff including bread, so perhaps she does feel better ? So it's hard to know but the internet certainly has more bad content than good in my opinion as an it engineer. I've seen what kids find first hand being the person responsible for controlling what 650 11-18 year old students had access to and seeing what they did manage to find access to including some pretty awful hardcore points sites leaving nothing to the imagination, having sites, how to make "just insert anything here" sites and so on.

I don't exclude gluten but I do know I have much less wind and rumblings if I minimise what I consume of it, but I can easily eat it if and when I want to. Dairy on the other hand is a totally different matter. The tiniest amount and I'm in anaphylaxis and fighting for my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom