What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy some mung beans and sprout your own. It's super easy and requires only a little time and water.

I decided to try sprouting them recently because I was tired of paying the high prices in the grocery, then having them promptly start to go bad and get slimy and yucky. We could pick up a huge bag at the Asian market for pretty cheap, but it's way too much and we end up throwing half away, and it requires a special trip to the Asian market.

I have now bought a small sprouter, but i started off using a quart mason jar. You just have to wash off the beans, then let them soak overnight. Drain, place cheesecloth over the opening, tie something around the rim, turn the jar upside down and tilt it, slightly bracing it against a small dish or something so any leaks will stay in the dish, and so the air circulates. Cover with a towel so they are in the dark. Then, twice a day rinse the beans, drain, put the lid cover back on, place back in the dish tilted and covered. I rinsed and drained right after we got up in the morning and again before I started dinner. They only take 3-5 days depending on how long you like your tails. They also keep well in the refrigerator. Rinse and drain them a final time, then spread them out on several layers of paper towels, and lightly roll up the paper towels. They only sat in my refrigerator for 2 days, but they were as perfect as when I took them out of the mason jar.

I used 1/4 solid measure cup the first time and the mason jar was pretty packed. I used 1/3 cup the next time and I had to be really careful getting them out because they were really packed.

The ones I sprouted tasted WAY better than the grocery store ones and a little better than the Asian market ones. They were much crisper than either. There was also no bitter taste like you get sometimes.
Thanks 😊
I have grown them in the past in a jar and agree they taste much better than shop bought ones. I did start looking at sprouters and stalled when it came to finding the actual mung beans. It’s not part of the Spanish repertoire. I also searched for Green Gram (apparently they can be called that too) but no joy anywhere round here.

Eventually I found them on Amazon.es but by that time I’d lost the will if you know what I mean. I’ll probably find it again when I fancy some of that fresh crunchy loveliness.. yep that’s done it 😆

Then surely it shouldn't be called uncured... :scratchhead:
This is what I found on the internet:

"Quite simply, it's all a matter of how the meats are preserved: Cured meats use chemicals and additives while uncured meats rely on natural salts and flavorings. Cured meats have nitrates. Uncured don't. Both methods are used to preserve meat."

IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG

I went shopping for Easter

This is what I found on the internet:

"Quite simply, it's all a matter of how the meats are preserved: Cured meats use chemicals and additives while uncured meats rely on natural salts and flavorings. Cured meats have nitrates. Uncured don't. Both methods are used to preserve meat."

I don't know about that. You don't have to use the chemicals in all cured meats. I've made bresaola before using just salt and cool air. Tasso is cured using just salt and spices, then smoked. Pepperoni is a cured fermented sausage. Andouille is cured overnight in the refrigerator after adding salt and spices, and then smoked.

The nitrites, cures 1 and 2, are used when air trying sausages or hams. One of them helps to keep the meat pink, I can't remember which off top of my head.

I'll have to get the books out.

Last edited:
Felt a bit homesick so went to the Brit shop half an hour away and bought Marmalade 🥰

While I was there I saw not one but three types of gluten free sausages.
96% pork, promising or too much? Fingers crossed.
Looked up ‘Dixons Farm’ when I got back. It’s a completely made up name by a Spanish meat company, wonder who the pic of the butcher is?! 😂

So tomoz we shall see if the Spanish/British sausages have come close to a real banger!

F409630C-46EA-430C-827B-903A78BEB565.jpeg

Speaking of sausages, I found these in the mark-downs. Irish O'Garlic Sausage???

View attachment 98076

CD
I'm curious about the curve in them. Are they trying to suggest that the Irish can't stand up straight because of all the garlic they are so well know for eating?

I'm curious about the curve in them. Are they trying to suggest that the Irish can't stand up straight because of all the garlic they are so well know for eating?

All Johnsonville brand sausages are curved like that -- brats, Italian, whatever.

CD

All fresh sausages stuffed in natural casings curve after a certain length. They curve naturally because, well, they are intestinal tract tissue that curves around in the body. When we stuff sausage, it just curves.

Drove up to the U-pick, farmer's market place today.

20230331_122115.jpg

The garlic heads are close to 3 inches across. The strawberries are grown there and have been very sweet when we've gotten them in the past. There's an Asian pear as well that Craig hid from me until I posted this and realized it was missing. Shiitaki mushrooms and small bok choy. Now, I just have to decide what to do with the squash blossoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom