What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fried pie is what it sounds like. It is kind of like an empanada, but with some kind of sweet pie filling. It is cooked by frying, instead of baking. They often have an icing glaze on them, like a glazed donut. They are really quite good, although not healthy at all
Like Morning Glory , I too am deeply concerned about your culinary habits; and the fact that you bought "Fry Pies" instead of making proper empanadas, is nothing short of mortifying. I shall have to take steps to remedy the situation... like post a recipe for proper empanadas.
("well here´s another fine mess you got me into...") :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was referring to your post above. No cheese in that - I think the cheese was posted elsewhere?
The cheese list is now above with the other. I misread the cheese post thinking they'd eaten some of it there and then. Both were in the eating cooking thread, not the buying obtaining thread...

The cheese list is now above with the other. I misread the cheese post thinking they'd eaten some of it there and then. Both were in the eating cooking thread, not the buying obtaining thread...

Yeah. Thanks for moving the post. I would of course love to try those cheeses TastyReuben but at the same time, I can't imagine buying so many at once. One cheese would last me for weeks!

Did I miss moving a post?
Idk, but I’m not bothered either way. :)

I can't imagine buying so many at once.
At this cheesehaus (they make the cheese onsite), I was walking along this gargantuan refrigerated cheese case, and I kept picking up this cheese (“Must have this!”) and that cheese (“Oh yes, definitely!”), and finally, one of the attendants asked me if I wanted a hand basket. Of course, sensible me declined…and continued picking up cheeses to buy, and cheesy trinkets.

I finally got up closer to the register, saw some other things I wanted to get my curdy little paws on, and saw a big stack of hand baskets, grabbed one, off-loaded my stuff…

…and went back to the cheese case, found the same employee, winked at her, and said, “I wish you’d told me about these!”

She started laughing and said, “No…I was waiting for you to drop everything!” :laugh:

TastyReuben Peppermint coated Pretzel Rounds? :unsure: Not sure about that one.
Morning Glory we have no less than 6 different cheese in our `fridge at most times.
We like variety, or is it that I get bored too quickly with the same thing over and over AND eat cheese almost every day :hungry:

TastyReuben Peppermint coated Pretzel Rounds? :unsure: Not sure about that one.
Morning Glory we have no less than 6 different cheese in our `fridge at most times.
We like variety, or is it that I get bored too quickly with the same thing over and over AND eat cheese almost every day :hungry:
I'm on vacation and brought cheese from home:

Feta, Muenster, boursin, mild white cheddar, sharp white cheddar, shredded parm, grated parm, gouda, mild yellow shredded cheddar, American slices, cream cheese, and blue cheese for hubby. We finished off the gouda yesterday. Most of the rest will be gone by Saturday when we are packing up to go home.

So yeah, we love cheese!

Like Morning Glory , I too am deeply concerned about your culinary habits; and the fact that you bought "Fry Pies" instead of making proper empanadas, is nothing short of mortifying. I shall have to take steps to remedy the situation... like post a recipe for proper empanadas.
("well here´s another fine mess you got me into...") :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fried pies are actually very tasty. Not healthy, as I said before, but good comfort food.

CD

Fried pies are actually very tasty. Not healthy, as I said before, but good comfort food.
Oh I quite agree, if they´re anything like these empanadas. Damn things are addictive - I could just go through the whole basket!!
empanada.jpg

Oh I quite agree, if they´re anything like these empanadas. Damn things are addictive - I could just go through the whole basket!!
View attachment 97897

The empanadas I've had, the best ones from the Versailles restaurant on Calle Ocho in Miami, are awesome, but not quite the same as a fried pie. They are both good, but not quite the same.

Versailles - The World's Most Famous Cuban Restaurant®

That website has the main menu, but there is also a bakery where the empanadas and various Cuban pastries are sold.

CD

The real reason theres a tomato shortage in the UK, they’re all in the supermarket here 😆

2A1608D4-D4AE-427D-9504-AE3D627C3B35.jpeg

Like trying to choose what flavour milkshake at the end of Bod (remember that 70’s TV prog?) it took an age to choose these lovelies.

E661042F-9818-4C4B-8C7F-5C6F805829F1.jpeg

They’re called Asurcado Antociano. Superb, a lot of flesh and very little watery seed.

The real reason theres a tomato shortage in the UK, they’re all in the supermarket here 😆

View attachment 97901

Like trying to choose what flavour milkshake at the end of Bod (remember that 70’s TV prog?) it took an age to choose these lovelies.

View attachment 97902

They’re called Asurcado Antociano. Superb, a lot of flesh and very little watery seed.
We grew some purple tomatoes last year. Loved them!

View attachment 97901

View attachment 97902

They look wonderful. We've decided that next year we will only grow heritage black tomatoes. They've done so well here in my garden this year. But I have chickens, and then there is the wildlife here, the cockatoos, crimson rosella (both very destructive birds) and possums (native tree dweller that eats anything), so I have to grow my tomatoes in a cage otherwise the moment they show a colour other than leaf green, they are eaten.

But most of my tomatoes are still green, and I go into hospital tomorrow (for 2½-3 weeks) knowing that hubby won't remember to water them, and likely not pick them either. I don't have time to process the green tomatoes, but don't want to pick them either. There are literally kilos and kilos still on the plants.

Those prices seem really good (though it's hard to tell how large the containers are in weight). "Normal" tomatoes are around $6-7 (£3.50) a kilo here at the moment, but "speciality" ones are $18 a kilo (that's roughly £9 /kg).

They look wonderful. We've decided that next year we will only grow heritage black tomatoes. They've done so well here in my garden this year. But I have chickens, and then there is the wildlife here, the cockatoos, crimson rosella (both very destructive birds) and possums (native tree dweller that eats anything), so I have to grow my tomatoes in a cage otherwise the moment they show a colour other than leaf green, they are eaten.

But most of my tomatoes are still green, and I go into hospital tomorrow (for 2½-3 weeks) knowing that hubby won't remember to water them, and likely not pick them either. I don't have time to process the green tomatoes, but don't want to pick them either. There are literally kilos and kilos still on the plants.

Those prices seem really good (though it's hard to tell how large the containers are in weight). "Normal" tomatoes are around $6-7 (£3.50) a kilo here at the moment, but "speciality" ones are $18 a kilo (that's roughly £9 /kg).
Oh crikey, steal his phone and set a daily alert, something like “if you love me you’ll water my tomatoes” 😜😆
2-3 weeks in hospital is rough as! The only help I can offer is stuff you probably already know- take your own pillow, hospital pillows are rubbish. Take your own mug and tea cos it taste plain wrong out of their vessels. Earplugs in case there’s a howler in the vicinity. Anyone who purports to care for you must prove it by bringing real food 😆

Growing anything at home in the uk is a fight, we’re sandwiched between the woods, a quarry, farmland and the sea so wildlife is well fed and there in abundance, what you can protect from air attack you easily lose to a vast army of slugs and snails overnight 😆

The prices for home grown produce in Spain are very good but anything imported is expensive, simple beansprouts 60p at home, 2 euros here. Native fruit and veg is just lovely, taste great and good value. But like a lot of countries they don’t embrace ‘foreign produce‘ so if you want to cook something that’s not a traditional Spanish ingredient then you might not be able to find it and if you do it will cost a lot more than you expect.

Thats probably why I hanker after Asian food when I‘m here 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom