What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cantelopes here today still looked too green to be ripe inside.

I'm also intrigued by those beans. Bush's beans with no brown sugar? :eek:

CD
The only decent melon I’ve gotten this year was from there, so I’m hopeful with this one. Jungle Jim’s started as a produce stand 50 years or so ago, and their produce is still better than anyone else’s around here.

The beans…looking at the label, it contains the dreaded sucralose. Those can’t be too good. :headshake: - but I’ll give ‘em a chance.

Like avocado, I generally buy my rockmelons about 3-5 days before I plan to eat them.
They seem to be going bad before ripening at the moment. Even my chooks didn't get through the one they had today. We'd eaten the tiny bit of it that was ripe (despite the bad spots forming on the skin) and then given it to 20 chooks. They left a lot which is very unusual of them. Usually the rind gets pecked almost through if they can, but lately, not so much. There is another on the kitchen counter trying to ripen, but it is doing the same with bad spots forming.

I think we'll be back on watermelon if we can actually get any. It's been off the shelf now than on the shelf this last 6 months.

Like avocado, I generally buy my rockmelons about 3-5 days before I plan to eat them.

I had to look up rockmelons. Mostly, I found references to an Australian music group. But, I did find some photos that look like our cantelopes.

CD

I had to look up rockmelons. Mostly, I found references to an Australian music group. But, I did find some photos that look like our cantelopes.

CD
Cantaloupe - Wikipedia
The cantaloupe, rockmelon (Australia and New Zealand, although cantaloupe is used in some states of Australia), sweet melon, or spanspek (Southern Africa) is a melon that is a variety of the muskmelon species (Cucumis melo) from the family

We just call them melons -but they're cantaloupe, just like in the USA. Very occasionally, I'll find yellow melon in the market. I remember as a kid having slices of that sprinkled with sugar and powdered ginger.

Cantelope is either amazingly good, or pretty bad, and the difference could be as little as a few days of ripening.

CD

Okay, I saw this, and thought, "No, I don't need this." I walked away. But, of course, I came back and bought it.

Six bucks a pound?!!!

Thing is, I've never cooked a prime rib. Not to mention that's a lot of meat for a guy who lives alone. I'm going to have to share this. But first, I have to figure out how to cook it.

IMG_2299.JPG

CD

Okay, I saw this, and thought, "No, I don't need this." I walked away. But, of course, I came back and bought it.

Six bucks a pound?!!!

Thing is, I've never cooked a prime rib. Not to mention that's a lot of meat for a guy who lives alone. I'm going to have to share this. But first, I have to figure out how to cook it.

View attachment 100238

CD
I’ll be interested what you come up with. I’ve made plenty of standing rib roasts, but never a big hunk of boneless meat like that.

Goodies from the mom-and-pop shop I mentioned earlier:

IMG_4465.jpeg
IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4467.jpeg

This was mainly just buying stuff to buy it - I really just wanted a look around.

Top pic, that apple jelly is from Jefferson, Texas, caseydog. That ham is baked in-store, too.

Second pic, that coffee comes from the gourmet shop about a mile away - $18US for 12 measly ounces…this place had it for $13. Score! Grippo’s is a legendary Cincinnati snack chip company. Being closer to Dayton, Mikesell’s would be more appropriate, but they’re in the process of being taken over or going out of business.

Third pic, that little container is filled with a marshmallow fluff dessert thing that’s got all the flavors of a banana split in it.

Goodies from the mom-and-pop shop I mentioned earlier:

View attachment 100264View attachment 100265View attachment 100266

This was mainly just buying stuff to buy it - I really just wanted a look around.

Top pic, that apple jelly is from Jefferson, Texas, caseydog. That ham is baked in-store, too.

Second pic, that coffee comes from the gourmet shop about a mile away - $18US for 12 measly ounces…this place had it for $13. Score! Grippo’s is a legendary Cincinnati snack chip company. Being closer to Dayton, Mikesell’s would be more appropriate, but they’re in the process of being taken over or going out of business.

Third pic, that little container is filled with a marshmallow fluff dessert thing that’s got all the flavors of a banana split in it.

Jefferson is a very cool little town near the Eastern border. It is full of Bed and Breakfast lodging and antique shops. My ex-wife and I went there a couple times with another couple. It's the kind of town I think you would like.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom