What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to go to three stores, but finally found some ripe pineapples. The other places had green, bumpy rocks that had zero aroma. Not even close to ripe.

1687883501558.jpeg

CD

I had to go to three stores, but finally found some ripe pineapples.
Kroger is notorious for hard unripe pineapples (and peaches…and melons), but they had these today, so I bought one:

IMG_4843.jpeg

Nice brown skin, and I can smell it and it doesn’t smell rotten, and no gnats flying around the pineapple display, so my hope are high.

I was so buoyed by that, I bought some peaches, and the honeydew melon I got there a few days ago was passably sweet.

Kroger is notorious for hard unripe pineapples (and peaches…and melons), but they had these today, so I bought one:

View attachment 101752

Nice brown skin, and I can smell it and it doesn’t smell rotten, and no gnats flying around the pineapple display, so my hope are high.

I was so buoyed by that, I bought some peaches, and the honeydew melon I got there a few days ago was passably sweet.

Kroger now has some small pineapples with a yellow/pink color that are actually called "pink pineapples." I have no idea what's inside, or what they taste like.

CD

Kroger now has some small pineapples with a yellow/pink color that are actually called "pink pineapples." I have no idea what's inside, or what they taste like.

CD
I’ve seen those at the international market (I’m pretty sure that’s what they were), but at a whopping $14, I’ve yet to try one.

I’m planning on heading down there sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I may splurge since we have a challenge going on.

I’ve seen those at the international market (I’m pretty sure that’s what they were), but at a whopping $14, I’ve yet to try one.

I’m planning on heading down there sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I may splurge since we have a challenge going on.

I didn't notice the price. There's no way I'd pay 14 bucks for one, especially not having any idea what they taste like. I'll let you be the taste tester on this one. :laugh:

CD

IMG_4915.jpeg

Butter cheese and Gouda (from Goudaland!), that’s about as “wild” as my cheese tastes get. Ice cream is for the peach cobbler I’m making Tuesday. Because of the holiday weekend, I was left with shop’s-brand dip. I normally make my own, but I’m being easy on myself where possible this holiday.

IMG_4916.jpeg

Wine is for fondue…in July heat. That dastardly mint is for an upcoming pineapple dessert.

IMG_4917.jpeg

We don’t get those bright yellow melons for very long, so I bought one.

IMG_4918.jpeg

Chips/crisps to go with the dip(/drips? :laugh: ) from above. Splurging on brioche buns for the cookout later.

IMG_4919.jpeg

View attachment 101923
Butter cheese and Gouda (from Goudaland!), that’s about as “wild” as my cheese tastes get. Ice cream is for the peach cobbler I’m making Tuesday. Because of the holiday weekend, I was left with shop’s-brand dip. I normally make my own, but I’m being easy on myself where possible this holiday.

View attachment 101924
Wine is for fondue…in July heat. That dastardly mint is for an upcoming pineapple dessert.

View attachment 101925
We don’t get those bright yellow melons for very long, so I bought one.

View attachment 101926
Chips/crisps to go with the dip(/drips? :laugh: ) from above. Splurging on brioche buns for the cookout later.

View attachment 101927
That Gouda does look like actual Gouda, so you've got an eye for the good stuff.

Mould Festival Haul Pics.

It’s getting hard to even contemplate the amount of cheese and goodies I’m in possession of.

70CEC040-2351-447B-BA0D-F8F57B544C4D.jpeg

Olive jam
Cold smoked buffalo mozzarella
Sauerkraut with wakame & ginger
Goats curd, chèvre etc
Tiny cornichon
Patè. Omg. Amazing. And a gift!
Hunterbelle. Of of this us also a gift.
Second Mouse double cream brie.

53913BAE-C691-4C2B-8327-864D529009F1.jpeg

Almost everything in this image was a gift, except the Little Creek. The Pyengara cheddar is the reason my boss at Second Mouse won’t even try to make cheddar.

And I ask myself, "Why wasn't I there???" :laugh: :laugh: :hungry: :hungry:
Here’s the definition of serendipity:

MrsT, upon her return from Alaska last week, told me that she’d had some salmon there she really liked (keep in mind, this is a woman who spat out local smoked salmon in Scotland), so saying she liked some salmon was rather earth-shaking.

I took those pics yesterday and texted them to her, as more of a little interesting thing, like, “You just got back from Alaska, and the shop here is selling overnighted salmon!”

What I didn’t know was that just the day before, she’d been talking to the neighbor, and she mentioned that they’d heard about shops occasionally getting salmon in and selling it out front…exactly what I just happened upon.

She quick texted them, and they went over and bought some…$24/pound, and you had to buy the whole fish, and the one they bought was about five pounds. $$$$

But hey, they wrapped it for free!

Mould Festival Haul Pics.

It’s getting hard to even contemplate the amount of cheese and goodies I’m in possession of.

View attachment 101963
Olive jam
Cold smoked buffalo mozzarella
Sauerkraut with wakame & ginger
Goats curd, chèvre etc
Tiny cornichon
Patè. Omg. Amazing. And a gift!
Hunterbelle. Of of this us also a gift.
Second Mouse double cream brie.

View attachment 101964

Almost everything in this image was a gift, except the Little Creek. The Pyengara cheddar is the reason my boss at Second Mouse won’t even try to make cheddar.
Looks delicious. Don’t forget your fibre ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom