What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how I am. Before the pandemic, Walmart was my absolute last choice, even after online ordering. I'd gladly drive 30 miles to the closest Target or Meijer if I needed something from a bargain department store.

Since the pandemic, though, I've been going there more, since it's the only department store in town, and the only other mainstream grocery store. If Kroger doesn't have something, I try ALDI in town, and if they don't, then off to Walmart if it's something I have to have.

Another Walmart story: when we moved here in 2004, our Walmart was the biggest one in the state or the country, I can't remember, but it wasn't that old, and our realtor, nice as she was, couldn't shut up about "the big Walmart you're gonna have!"

We settled in, few days later, made our way there, and one of the things we needed to buy was some lunchmeat from the deli.

Went to the counter, and the woman working the deli was putting raw whole chickens in one of those big rotating roaster ovens - no gloves, just grabbing slimy, wet raw chickens and loading the contraption.

She saw us, said to give her a minute, she finished up, then asked us what we wanted, and I asked for some lunchmeat, and she walked over to the case, never washed her hands, moved a couple of things out of the way, grabbed the ham or bologna or whatever it was, went to the slicer, sliced it into her hand, wrapped it, and then handed it to me, and headed back to the chicken station.

I walked that right over to customer service, handed it to the woman there, told her what happened, and I've never purchased anything there since that wasn't already prepackaged.

Yeah, their deli is a joke. An afterthought. And, don't even think about any cheeses other than the plastic-wrapped stuff by the Oscar-Meyer lunchmeat. I got some fresh mozzarella there once -- had to throw it away.

Walmart's demographic is people who want to fill their bellies with cheep, processed foods. Frozen pizzas, chips (crisps), canned chili, boxed Mac and cheese, and other stuff to eat while watching TV on the couch. Well, here in Texas, they also draw Hispanic customers who buy the cheap produce, meats, rice and beans to cook from scratch -- plus all kinds of sodas, chips (crisps), and other junk they got hooked on thanks to American culture. They see all these amazing product offerings, without totally understanding the risks.

This is not just a US problem. In the UK, there is a huge problem with children with tooth decay, mostly thanks to letting these children drink way too much processed foods and "fizzy drinks."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVDF3qFFXo

CD

Most SNAP recipients DO work, but either don't get paid enough, or they work in unstable jobs where they never know when or how much they will be scheduled to work. The largest group of people using SNAP are Walmart and Amazon workers.

So, there is a good chance that that family in front of you holding up the line at Walmart, using their "entitlements," actually worked for Walmart.

But, god forbid we raise the minimum wage in the US, so people could earn enough to pay for their own food.

CD

Unskilled labor shouldn't make $15.00 an hour and it shouldn't be subsidized by the Federal Government. That type of wage will cause more people to be out of work during normal times. Are you suggesting that employers be forced to keep employees by the government? Where is the incentive to improve one's self? There is no excuse for 20 million illegals in this country. The folks that try and stop intervention for the flood are doing this country a disservice.

Mod. Comment: caseydog & CraigC. We are veering off topic here and its pretty obvious that you have very different views. I somehow think you are not likely to change them! Maybe we should leave it like that. But, if you really want to (politely please!) debate wages for unskilled workers, can I suggest you move the discussion to the Café.

Back on track, today's delivery was:

Lamb's Liver
Eggs
Potatoes
Coarse Ardennes Pâté
Almond milk
Bisto
Finn crisp rye thins
Dijon mustard
Fresh crab
Tomatoes on the vine
Kefir
Spinach
Yellow courgettes
Cabbage
Goat's Cheese

Mod. Comment: caseydog & CraigC. We are veering off topic here and its pretty obvious that you have very different views. I somehow think you are not likely to change them! Maybe we should leave it like that. But, if you really want to (politely please!) debate wages for unskilled workers, can I suggest you move the discussion to the Café.

You are right, this is not the place for this kind of discussion. I don't see a point in a new thread. It would be facts vs ideology. So, in spite of our political differences, I'll just say I admire Craig's cooking skills (and envy his BGE). If he invited me over for BBQ and beers, we would probably argue at some point, but I'm pretty sure the BBQ would be good.

CD

Drove over to my brother's today. He and his wife grow flowers, herbs, some veg, keep a few chickens, and have a few hives. He left this outside the gate for me:

I love local honey, and it supposedly helps with polin alergies. But, I have a bad experience with bee hives.

I came home from a week on the road, and found my house full of bees, thousands of them, most of them dead, but outside my house was a huge swarm. Seems a queen decided to set up a new hive in my attic. It was October, so my attic was warm, but not too hot.

Exterminators are not allowed to deal with honey bees. So, I had to call a beekeeper. He was legally allowed to kill the bee hive. 600 bucks for 20 minutes of his services. Add in the night at the hotel, which in Frisco, is 150 bucks minimum, and it was an expensive encounter with nature.

CD

Yikes! I've never heard of having to get rid of honey bees, but it's pretty common to get that with paper wasps around here.

When I was a kid, there was a song we'd sing is school music class that I loved that had these words:

"I got me some money and I got me some bees
Started making honey way up in the trees.
Cut down the tree, but the honey's all gone
Ol' Slewfoot's done made himself at home."

Song about a crafty bear.

and it supposedly helps with polin alergies.
That's been debunked, but it's still a pretty common belief. I see signs all the time around here advertising "Local Honey - Cure Allergies!"

Yikes! I've never heard of having to get rid of honey bees, but it's pretty common to get that with paper wasps around here.

When I was a kid, there was a song we'd sing is school music class that I loved that had these words:

"I got me some money and I got me some bees
Started making honey way up in the trees.
Cut down the tree, but the honey's all gone
Ol' Slewfoot's done made himself at home."

That's been debunked, but it's still a pretty common belief. I see signs all the time around here advertising "Local Honey - Cure Allergies!"

I never got the whole allergy benefit thing, but local honey does taste good. I find it better than the mass-market stuff in grocery stores. You really have to be careful with mass-market honey, as some of it is just high-fructose corn syrup in a bottle that looks like a bear and says honey on it.

CD

I never got the whole allergy benefit thing, but local honey does taste good. I find it better than the mass-market stuff in grocery stores. You really have to be careful with mass-market honey, as some of it is just high-fructose corn syrup in a bottle that looks like a bear and says honey on it.

CD
Weird thing about me and honey - I can't stand the smell of it or the taste/texture of it on its own. Makes me retch. But it's indispensable as an ingredient.

The allergy thing, the reason it sounds good but isn't true, has something to do with the pollen that's in the air is the pollen of wind-pollinated plants, and that's what people are allergic to. Pollen from insect-pollinated plants doesn't really get in the air enough to make a difference. Something like that, anyway.

I have been fascinated by bees since I was a child, I still moisturize with Propolis face cream. I also like Croatian Bears. This pic was taken in Delnice National Park
51218162_524367261386127_4580736527042084864_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom