What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Envy, pure envy. I am surprised that you can grown lemons - thought your climate was similar to the UK?

Yeah just opposites seasons. We moved here 33 years ago, we had one lemon tree with a handful every year so we bought another one for the backyard. Earthquake here 10 years ago shook the place up. Then lemons for Africa on both trees. I have bags of frozen juice in the freezer. I think you could grow them there. I've been to,the U.K. A couple of times and think it's like here.

Russ

Yeah just opposites seasons. We moved here 33 years ago, we had one lemon tree with a handful every year so we bought another one for the backyard. Earthquake here 10 years ago shook the place up. Then lemons for Africa on both trees. I have bags of frozen juice in the freezer. I think you could grow them there. I've been to,the U.K. A couple of times and think it's like here.

Russ

I think you get more more sunshine (and less pollution) than in the UK - which probably why you can grow lemon trees. They can't be grown outdoors in the UK. They have to be brought into a greenhouse or other shelter during winter.

blog-nz-weather-and-climate-13

Sunshine
Most places in New Zealand receive over 2000 hours of sunshine a year, with the sunniest areas — Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay and Nelson/Marlborough – receiving over 2350 hours. As New Zealand observes daylight saving, during summer months daylight can last up until 10.00pm. New Zealand experiences relatively little air pollution compared to many other countries, which makes the UV rays in our sunlight very strong during the summer months.

Whoa, today was an almost-normal shopping experience. I actually went in the shop, used their scan-and-go app, brought my own bags, the whole thing.

It was quite nice. I missed it. 😢

Anyway, I got:

Bakery hoagie buns (for brats and cheesesteaks)
English muffins (finally, they're using a resealable bag!)
Cabbage
Beer Brats
Heavy cream
Lettuce
Cider (it's cider season!)
Onions
Italian bread
Pears
Cream cheese
"Assorted" pork chop pack (8 fairly thin bone-in chops)
Dark chocolate bars (for cake)
Maple syrup
Baby red potatoes
"Artisanal" sauerkraut (I checked the ingredients...cabbage, water, salt :unsure:)
Chicken broth

The thing I hate about using their scan-and-go app...it never shows you the discounted price for using your loyalty card. For example, the syrup I bought is about $16, but is $14 if you're using your loyalty card. Even on my order, they show the regular price, and you just have to trust that they took it off when you paid (I pay through the app). I'm reasonably sure they did, because my order total before I paid was around $120US, but my final price, with tax included, was closer to $110, but I still like to see a line-by-line paper receipt, because it shows:

PS MPL SYRUP ..... $16.79
Kgr Svgs ... -$2.00

And that way, you know you got the marked-down price.

I think you get more more sunshine (and less pollution) than in the UK - which probably why you can grow lemon trees. They can't be grown outdoors in the UK. They have to be brought into a greenhouse or other shelter during winter.

blog-nz-weather-and-climate-13

Sunshine
Most places in New Zealand receive over 2000 hours of sunshine a year, with the sunniest areas — Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay and Nelson/Marlborough – receiving over 2350 hours. As New Zealand observes daylight saving, during summer months daylight can last up until 10.00pm. New Zealand experiences relatively little air pollution compared to many other countries, which makes the UV rays in our sunlight very strong during the summer months.

Wow, thanks , I learnt something. I've never experienced winter in the uk.

Russ

Whoa, today was an almost-normal shopping experience. I actually went in the shop, used their scan-and-go app, brought my own bags, the whole thing.

It was quite nice. I missed it. 😢

Anyway, I got:

Bakery hoagie buns (for brats and cheesesteaks)
English muffins (finally, they're using a resealable bag!)
Cabbage
Beer Brats
Heavy cream
Lettuce
Cider (it's cider season!)
Onions
Italian bread
Pears
Cream cheese
"Assorted" pork chop pack (8 fairly thin bone-in chops)
Dark chocolate bars (for cake)
Maple syrup
Baby red potatoes
"Artisanal" sauerkraut (I checked the ingredients...cabbage, water, salt :unsure:)
Chicken broth

The thing I hate about using their scan-and-go app...it never shows you the discounted price for using your loyalty card. For example, the syrup I bought is about $16, but is $14 if you're using your loyalty card. Even on my order, they show the regular price, and you just have to trust that they took it off when you paid (I pay through the app). I'm reasonably sure they did, because my order total before I paid was around $120US, but my final price, with tax included, was closer to $110, but I still like to see a line-by-line paper receipt, because it shows:

PS MPL SYRUP ..... $16.79
Kgr Svgs ... -$2.00

And that way, you know you got the marked-down price.

Those thin pork chops are perfect for Southern fried pork chops, a Soul Food staple.

CD

More apples.

This morning I obtained 1 kg of cubed beef topside, 500 gm pork and tomato sausage, 3 horseshoe gammon steaks and 4 burger buns.

How dare you. If my eyes do not deceive they are Cox's Orange Pippins, the King of all desert apples. Don't lump them in with the apple proletariat . NB I started storing local green/unripe conference pears for December. Do you do that mate?
I do store some usually, they keep pretty well.

I learned the trick from my dad. We had three pear trees as kids. He would send us up them to pick the unripe pears. The low branch fruit would be left on for immediate consumption, The unripe pears would be layered in between news paper in an 8 drawer chest of drawers in the garage. My kid brother told me Monty Don gave this method out a few weeks ago. He added ripe pears only last 2/3 days. I used to drive down to Hereford to by Dad two boxes of Cox in November. A cox with a piece of matured cheddar is hard to beat.

Bought theses from a farmers market today. The farm is only a couple of miles away, and they rear a herd of organic, grass-fed longhorn cattle. The meat is superb, from 3yr+ old beasts, and dry aged for 5 weeks. The shin will be slow cooked tomorrow, either in a casserole or slow cooker. The goose skirt (bavette) has gone in the freezer until I think up a cunning plan for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom