What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From ALDI:
Apples
Yellow onions
Cava
Kraut

From Kroger:
Baby white wines (to cook with)
Eggs
Half-and-half
Milk
Yogurt
Provolone
American cheese
Mozzarella
Beef bouillon
Frozen peas
Crushed tomatoes
Diced tomatoes
Water
Dried beef
White onions
Broccoli
Radishes
Cucumber
Green onions
Russet potatoes

From ALDI:
Apples
Yellow onions
Cava
Kraut

From Kroger:
Baby white wines (to cook with)
Eggs
Half-and-half
Milk
Yogurt
Provolone
American cheese
Mozzarella
Beef bouillon
Frozen peas
Crushed tomatoes
Diced tomatoes
Water
Dried beef
White onions
Broccoli
Radishes
Cucumber
Green onions
Russet potatoes

Kroger's white American cheese is very good, and cheap. I also use a lot of diced tomatoes (fresh tomatoes suck here), and Walmart had some Contadina diced tomatoes marked down to 50-cents a can. I cleaned them out.

CD

Kroger's white American cheese is very good, and cheap. I also use a lot of diced tomatoes (fresh tomatoes suck here), and Walmart had some Contadina diced tomatoes marked down to 50-cents a can. I cleaned them out.

CD
I'm having to shop more at Walmart since all this bullsh*t started, and I've been surprised that they carry several things I'm interested in, but can't get at Kroger.

With ALDI, they used to carry a brand of bratwurst that we love, but we haven't seen those in months. I keep going back, hoping, but they haven't had them. We do prefer their crackers, and their cheese selection is pretty good. They carry more than one imported English cheddar. Plus, there's always some kind of booze on sale.

I'm having to shop more at Walmart since all this bullsh*t started, and I've been surprised that they carry several things I'm interested in, but can't get at Kroger.

With ALDI, they used to carry a brand of bratwurst that we love, but we haven't seen those in months. I keep going back, hoping, but they haven't had them. We do prefer their crackers, and their cheese selection is pretty good. They carry more than one imported English cheddar. Plus, there's always some kind of booze on sale.

I feel the same way about WalMart, but they do have a few things I can't get at Kroger. Kroger's cheese selection is very good, although I don't buy English cheddar... no reason. I like the cheddar from Wisconsin just fine.

No spirits at grocery stores in the Bible Belt, just beer and wine (Jesus drank wine, so that's okay, I guess).

CD

No spirits at grocery stores in the Bible Belt, just beer and wine (Jesus drank wine, so that's okay, I guess).
It's (sort of) the same here. Grocery stores can sell wine, beer, and lower-alcohol stuff, like Bailey's. Kroger wised up and petitioned the state to allow them to host state liquor stores, so now, many Krogers here have a separate fully-stocked liquor store inside.

We bought into a farm share for the first time ever. We pick up the first (of four) installments on Wednesday. I got the list today of what we're getting:

Pink Beauty Radishes - just bought radishes
Curly Kale - I don't like kale
Yellow Onions - just bought onions
Lettuce Mix
Arugula - I don't like arugula
Spinach
Carrots - I have plenty of carrots
Sweet Peppers
Shishito Peppers - I don't know what this is
Poblanos & Jalapeños (really hot)
Garlic
Sweet potato - I don't like sweet potato
Delicata Squash - I don't know what this is
Pie Pumpkin

I reckon I've got some thinking to do on how to use this stuff. 🤔

TastyReuben said:
Plus, there's always some kind of booze on sale.

Mmm, booze.
booze.JPG

Credits: thelocal.fr

It's sad that I can only take a glass or two of wine until I start dancing on the table and quoting Pablo Neruda. I should practice more. E.E. Cummings, maybe? In Finland, alcohol products can be purchased online without customs within the EU but locally booze can only be purchased at state-controlled ALKO stores. Milder drinks (< 5,5% alcohol) can be purchased from grocery stores, licensed restaurants or direct sales establishments like local breweries. State-owned ALKO stores are conveniently positioned in supermarket lobbies and airports or next to them. A few decades ago (until 1980) - remnants of Prohibition perceptible - one could only buy booze behind the counter from frighteningly formal ALKO stores or from restaurants accompanied with food. No wonder little plumes of smoke were rising from the woods. When I had a summer job as a cashier in a mobile store bus in the late 80's, many a head of family bought 10 kg:s of sugar and 5 bits of yeast for baking <emphasized with a blink of an eye> .

Mmm, booze.
View attachment 47668
Credits: thelocal.fr

It's sad that I can only take a glass or two of wine until I start dancing on the table and quoting Pablo Neruda. I should practice more. E.E. Cummings, maybe? In Finland, alcohol products can be purchased online without customs within the EU but locally booze can only be purchased at state-controlled ALKO stores. Milder drinks (< 5,5% alcohol) can be purchased from grocery stores, licensed restaurants or direct sales establishments like local breweries. State-owned ALKO stores are conveniently positioned in supermarket lobbies and airports or next to them. A few decades ago (until 1980) - remnants of Prohibition perceptible - one could only buy booze behind the counter from frighteningly formal ALKO stores or from restaurants accompanied with food. No wonder little plumes of smoke were rising from the woods. When I had a summer job as a cashier in a mobile store bus in the late 80's, many a head of family bought 10 kg:s of sugar and 5 bits of yeast for baking <emphasized with a blink of an eye> .

Alcohol can
make
you do things
like dance on a
table
and recite obscure poetry to strangers
Alone

A little E.E. Cummings humor.

CD

Last edited:
If it is just skirt and looks like this pic its a very tasty cut. Its perfect for braised dishes and pies/ pasties, I like to cut it into small cubes for chili con carne. I fry it bleu, in a sarnie its the dogs.View attachment 47670

Skirt steak in Mexico is called fajita. It is what the original taco-like food, fajitas, were made with. Fajita/skirt steak was given to the vaqueros (Mexican cowboys) who worked the ranches of South Texas. They would cook it over a fire, and eat it in tortillas. Now, fajitas are a tex-mex staple, and people use every kind of meat and veggies imaginable in them.

Now you know!

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom