What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That thing so you don't forget stuff, even if you are only going in for 4 or 5 things. :scratchhead: :happy:
Here's what happens when I go in without a list:

"Self, you need four things: Potatoes, a carton of broth, Swiss cheese, and sour cream. Don't eff it up!"

<Walks in the store, sees display of Pringles>

"Hey, haven't had those in a while. Let me grab those. Ok, so it was Pringles, a carton of milk, Swiss chocolate, and sour gummies. Right, you're on top of this!"

:laugh:

I developed the problem to not look around anymore. I looked through all the offerings from my supermarkets for the upcoming week and what I need to "survive", wrote the list, went to the supermarket, did buy everything I need in the shortest amount of time but I didn't look around for other interesting things anymore. Now, I like to work against that habit, and watch through the rest of the groceries they have on the shelf, when I know I have the time. What helps me also a lot is to visit special markets, like different kinds of asia shops or mediterranean shops.
Stay healthy

I did install an app🥳. Listonic. It looks very basic, only used it once, yesterday. So far so good.
Tried another shop app, it erased my list every time I exited the app😂infuriating!
Luckily I tested it with only 1 item.

Just got back from a trip to Restaurant Depot.

16 pounds of boneless chuck roast at $3.03 a pound. Some will be ground up, some sliced for chuck roast and some for stew meat.

19 pounds of boneless pork butt at $2.17 a pound. Cut up as per beef.

San Pellegrino water glass bottles, 24 in box at $0.81 a bottle.

San Pellegrino blood orange flavored water at $0.72 a can.

We got 1 other thing there that I will take a pic of and post later. It's a beaut.

Also made another stop that I'll also take a pic of. I was the one that wanted them and made the stop. I ate 1 on the way home since they were hot and fresh now (catch the hint U.S.members?) but Craig is on his 4th or 5th even though he was grumbling when I got off the interstate.

Finally, I was able to find and purchase some veal, veal loin chops. They were discounted 30%, because apparently, veal does not sell well in the town where I am now living. The butcher told me that they just got it recently, but that it doesn't sell.

So, I got a deal.

VealLoinChops.jpg

Well, I forgot to take a picture before I cut it up. 2.83 pounds of ahi tuna loin at $12.98 a pound. We'll have tuna steaks and something tomorrow and the rest will be sushi, grilled for a nicoise salad and the other 3 large chunks are to be determined. They were wrapped individually and went into freezer except for tomorrow night's.

The treat we got was Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. For those not in the U.S., they are light and fluffy yeast donuts with a crispy/crunchy sugar based glaze. Basically sugar and carbs. The last time we got these, a box of 12 was $8.99. They were $10.99 at the same store today.

Last edited:
The treat we got was Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. For those not in the U.S., they are light and fluffy yeast donuts with a crispy/crunchy sugar based glaze
That sounds marvelous!
My kid is donut crazy. The Spar supermarket chain and the Lidl chain, Kaufland chain, as well as some bakery chains offer donuts here, I'd say the last several years...
Before the spring break, on my way home I'd buy her 2 donuts glazed in pink sugar coat, sprinkled with colourful sprinkles, every evening. She eats balanced the rest of the time, and is very lean, so I worry not, and am happy when she eats out of her sparrow quantities.
Also in offer are Oreo sprinkled donuts, white glazed, Milka glazed, dark choc glazed...
For me personally donuts do not work, in particular now that I am on a sugar free diet(or mostly).
And we have the lovely traditional Round full ones ( similar to buns in a way) called Krafne, filled with apricot jam, that I prefer, if I were to have one. They are a Faschnig tradition (Carnival), but are sold all year round. The dough tastes a tad different, dryer possibly...

But I totally understand you had to stop. They are just lovely either way.

I just noticed I really need to clean around my oven's exhaust port...she's got a little skidmark going on. :laugh:

I finally received my whole New Zealand beef fillet today (1 cubit long, 2.20 kg). My supplier's been ill.

Now 2 x ½ cubits long.

Sliced 30mm thick for freezing.

That has nice marbling for tenderloin. :okay:

I've noticed over the years that the British seem to slice steaks thinner than Americans. A typical tenderloin filet here would be sliced around 40-50 mm.

CD

That has nice marbling for tenderloin. :okay:

I've noticed over the years that the British seem to slice steaks thinner than Americans. A typical tenderloin filet here would be sliced around 40-50 mm.

CD

If I was slicing it for "Beef Wellington" I would slice it thicker but I'm not intending that (two much hassle - although I do have prepared duxelles in the freezer). The last time that I sliced it I made half about 20mm and the rest 30mm. Basically I'm happy with 30mm for my cooking style and ease of ending up with a medium rare finish.

I now have two "conical" ends which I intend to chop into around 5mm cubes and incorporate into a chilli con carne. I have large red cayenne chillis in the freezer and we always have a shed load of fresh Thai chillis to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom