What Unusual (i.e. "Necessary") Cooking Gadgets Do You Have?

Yes, just a pair of shears along the edge inside the crimp.

To score pork skin for crackling, I use a stanley knife!
1290_prev.jpg

.I bought this a few years ago at a yard sale. I don't know what in the heck to do with it
-stovetop-roaster-grill-terra-clay-hinge-gourmet-bakeware-italy-f26e09f1dd35e82bbef2293a55c8f63d.jpg

One of these then. Its Italian... we had better ask @MypinchofItaly!

Its a griddle, fry-pan I think. But it is odd being terracotta. wouldn't everything stick? I hope or Italian friend may explain.
I've never seen this type of pan. Maybe for frying as @morning glory says or maybe for cooking chestnuts but I'm really just guessing...

A pair of heavy duty scissors should open the package. If not, try a knife.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I hate these sealed hard plastic wrapping ideas. You have to hack it up to get into it and then notice the guarantee requires you to return it in the original packing if found to be faulty.

A few years ago before I had an integral card reader in my desk top I bought an external reader which was enveloped in this hard plastic. I cut the package open and then found that the internals of the reader did not line up with the slot in the case. I took it back to the shop for a replacement.

"But you've opened it". "Yes I know else I wouldn't have known it was faulty". Anyway, after 2 more staff and eventually the manager had examined it (I took a card with me to prove the fault), they agreed to replace it. "Is it OK if I open the replacement before I leave the shop to ensure that it works?". "No you can't do that, we won't be able to return it to the display rack if it's opened". "But if it's faulty, why would you be putting it back on display? Oh never mind, please can I have my money back, I'll buy one elsewhere?"

It would be advantageous though for the packing to be opened without destroying the packing. For something as sharp as a pizza cutter it would be beneficial to be able to store it in it's original "case".

I have just used my recently acquired stick blender (with chopping attachment) to "grate" Cheddar cheese. Excellent result without having the skin removed from my fingers and without giving my wife the unenviable task of washing the grater.

chopped cheese s.jpg

I have just used my recently acquired stick blender (with chopping attachment) to "grate" Cheddar cheese. Excellent result without having the skin removed from my fingers and without giving my wife the unenviable task of washing the grater.

View attachment 6538

I could do with one of those. Can you show an image of the attachment? I presume you have to chop the cheese up first...

Re grated cheese, its worth knowing that if you are making a cheese sauce you don't need to grate the cheese at all. Just chop into smallish chunks and they melt as you heat the sauce. I usually use the microwave to make cheese sace. In fact, I don't very often grate cheese at all if its going to be melted anyway.

I could do with one of those. Can you show an image of the attachment? I presume you have to chop the cheese up first...

Re grated cheese, its worth knowing that if you are making a cheese sauce you don't need to grate the cheese at all. Just chop into smallish chunks and they melt as you heat the sauce. I usually use the microwave to make cheese sace. In fact, I don't very often grate cheese at all if its going to be melted anyway.
Similar to this manner, I have discovered that it is possible to make a small, strong (i.e. more concentrated) cheese sauce (quite thick) - which I like to have on toast! (A bit like a more liquidy cheese spread).

Finely slice about a small handful of cheese and add to a non stick pan with just some milk (a few tablespoons). I add cayenne pepper too to further bring out the taste of the cheese. Then, on the lowest heat, stir until all is melted and incorporated. It is really tasty!

For cheese sauce (for cauliflower cheese) I just cut the cheese into about 5mm slices.

However, the attachment:

This is the stick blender with the bits it came with:

I intend to write up a report as soon as I have given it a decent trial.

Yes, I cut the cheese into 10mm lumps prior to "chopping"..

For cheese sauce (for cauliflower cheese) I just cut the cheese into about 5mm slices.

However, the attachment:

This is the stick blender with the bits it came with:

I intend to write up a report as soon as I have given it a decent trial.

Yes, I cut the cheese into 10mm lumps prior to "chopping"..

Well I've got a mini chopper which looks exactly like that (and a separate stick blender) but I've never tried 'grating' cheese in it! I'll have to try it...

Well I've got a mini chopper which looks exactly like that (and a separate stick blender) but I've never tried 'grating' cheese in it! I'll have to try it...

It certainly beats farting around with a cheese grater!

Back
Top Bottom