What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that that is a recommendation, I have downloaded these Peter Robinson novels today:

I hope you like them. Please bear in mind I like reading fairly undemanding murder mysteries. Its worth reading them in date order because the central character is followed through his life.

Reign Of Terror, I vaguely remember, and I don't think I cared for it that much, as 40's and 50's movies (except for some quirky sci-fi stuff) usually don't appeal to me. I probably watched it for the historical angle.

I do have to say that I like the older movies better than the newer ones. The new movies may be in color and be more contemporary, but very badly done, compared to the older movies.

Compare for example,

The Haunting (1963)
The Haunting (1999)

Catherine Zeta Jones may be hot, but she doesn't even come close to salvaging the 1999 version with her looks. The 1999 version just doesn't stand up to the 1963 version.

And there are other examples of remakes that are just flops. Compare that lousy Patrick Stewart 1998 series on Moby Dick with the classic Gregory Peck 1956 Moby Dick.

Yes, I do like the older movies better.

That is not to say that there have not been some good new movies. They are as rare as can possibly be.

Today, there just are not any good script writers, directors or producers and even actors/actresses to do anything spectacular, except rarely.

Just a couple of Michael Cain fillums:

Get Carter (1971) - Brilliant
Get Carter (2000) - Pathetic

The Italian Job (1969) - Excellent
The Italian Job (2003) - Mediocre

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) The Classic
The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) Passes as a Remake with variations in scenes and plot.

Of Mice and Men (1939) Credible
Of Mice and Men (1992) Thumbs Down

Point Break (1973) OK
Point Break (2015) OK

Titanic (1953) Classic
Titanic (1997) Somehow, this one comes off well

Total Recall (1990) Good Stuff, but then, I like Scifi
Total Recall (2012) Still passable, though it has many variations in scenes and plot

True Grit (1969) Works
True Grit (2010) This is a duplicate that looses the effect of what the 1969 version had.

War of the Worlds (1953) The Classic
The War of the Worlds (2005) A good remake with variations in scenes and plot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_s0stxDk9w

BTW:
The most amazing buffet I've ever experienced was at Disney's Animal Kingdoms Wilderness lodge. Breakfast was standard American Fare but dinners were the star.
2/3 Vegetarian items (at the time, may have changed since, probably has) and the most tasty array of food I've ever experienced at Jiko restaurant and the Boma Buffet.

Kids imagined by the name it would be Giraffe drumsticks, Boiled Bee Hooves, Peacock tongues on a toothpick but it was nothing near it.
It was fabulous.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqcjas-WwD4

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) The Classic
Kaaltu barada nikto.
Many movie scenes shot from that classic were filmed at the Corner of Burbank and Balboa Blvds in Van Nuys Ca.
Its a park now with tennis courts but all of the trees in the background still stand. Called witness trees.

If I scroll the cable channels or Netflix, I might watch these more than once:

Manchester by the Sea (2016) - I don't think that much of the Oscar winning Casey Affleck's acting but the movie is definately heartbreaking and it's refreshing to see a blue collar worker in a lead role for a change.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - I love Woody Harrelson - and Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are exceptional characters too - as are many supporting actors.

A Bigger Splash (2015) - Food has a big role in this peculiar film. The surroundings are beautiful and the atmosphere is charged. I don't care about the plot which is almost as annoying as Dakota Johnson.

Amélie (2001) [French] - This is fireworks from start to finish: surreal happenings, wonderful colors - and a happy ending.

It’s Complicated (2009) - This is a "no brain" pastime for days when you want to imagine yourself growing tomatoes in a large house on the hills. Streep and Baldwin have a good chemistry. Steve Martin looks like Joker with his (obvious) facelift.

I just watched all 10 episodes of the 4. season of The Crown (about British monarchs) on Netflix in two days although I didn't like it that much. Some actors are great, the topic is somewhat intriguing (like reading women's magazine gossips...) and one can see that money hasn't been an issue in the making. The sets, the clothes, the vehicles, the impersonated gestures, impressions and even hairdos are spot-on.

I've noticed that in my case the mood/emotional state I'm in when I first see a movie or TV series affects the view of the film/program way too much. A hopeless weather vane... My hubby teaches biology and geography so we often watch British pukka/first-rate nature documents. Art, history and travel documents and talk shows are also to our liking.

If Philip Glass's "Akhnaten" opera comes from the TV, I'll surely turn it on. We listened and watched it in the cinema when MET (Live) still had its opera broadcasts running. The set design is impressive and the contemporary music mirrors the Egyptian culture: very meditative in its monotonousness.

Wifie was really looking forward to “The Pack” on Amazon Prime.
After 10 minutes she felt it was Campy and too Scripted and turned it off.
A stinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom