What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching The Crown right now, to be followed by The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina.

That sounds like what we call on demand here, though we really don't call it anything any more. I think there's an expectation that episodes of most shows will be available, at least the current season/series, though depending on the generosity of the network, there may be several seasons/series worth, especially if you're paying for a streaming service.

We get on demand too but that's different. 'Catch up' is recently shown popular programmes, 'on demand' is whole past series, box sets etc.

We get on demand too but that's different. 'Catch up' is recently shown popular programmes, 'on demand' is whole past series, box sets etc.
I think they just lump them all together here.

For example, I can go to network ABC's app, and there's the complete current season of "The Good Doctor," and they add the latest episode a day or so after it airs at its normally-scheduled time.

If I pay for an account or for a streaming service they're affiliated with, I can watch it as soon as it's put out there, but if I'm a cheapie (like me) I have to wait a few days for them to unlock it. Most networks also make previous seasons available, though again, for a fee.

Different networks have slightly different rules, but they all follow that same basic model. It's one reason I like CW - the next day after broadcast, they make their shows available, no charge, no registration, no waiting for it to unlock, it's just there.

We have Sling for our "regular" TV and they're horrible at content management. They'll have all the episodes of a series on Monday, and on Thursday, you'll check back, and they're all gone, and the following Tuesday, it'll be episodes 2, 7, and 13, and the Tuesday after that, it'll be all of them again, and then they'll disappear completely. We've learned if we're watching something on Sling, don't dawdle with it, because there are no guarantees.

Anyone likes the IT Crowd? A British sitcom about an IT department that works out of a basement with a boss who understands nothing about computers. I had seen bits of it on Youtube but I just found out it's on Netflix and I've been watching at lunchtime it's hilarious
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

Did you try turning it off and on? ;-)

We have sky here 150 channels, about $80 a month, Netflix free, our son has it and is allowed 1 other person to piggy back on it. And a new player "spark" used to be telecom but changed can name a few years ago, they won the rights to cricket, I'm not paying an extra $25 a month just to watch on my phone. Bad move nz cricket. !!

Russ

Disneys Nutcracker Four Realms.
4K big screen a fabulous production on Disney +.
View: https://youtu.be/BXfxLIuNJvw
We watched that last year - I liked the costumes and the sets, but that was the best part for me. The story was a little lost on me.

Speaking of The Nutcracker, though, MrsT and I usually alternate between seeing a live production of A Christmas Carol one year and The Nutcracker Fantasy ballet the next. Obviously, that was out this year.

Imagine my surprise and delight when, after the evening news ended last night (7PM), I found the local TV broadcasting a live performance of the ballet, as well as showing clips of past performances.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, then we watched a 1980's Christmas movie, completely forgettable, except that the stunningly beautiful Jaclyn Smith starred in it.

Some strange fillum this evening. "Miami Heat" (1990) with Alec Baldwin and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

We've got something of a stack of Storyville documentaries recorded from BBC4. These come from all around the world and usually feature something pretty offbeat or unusual. The one we watched last night was the bizarre story of DB Cooper, who hijacked a plane in 1971 and parachuted out, never to be seen again. Well, there was never any positive identification or arrest. The documentary featured four possible suspects, all of whom seemed plausible. The FBI have closed the case, pretty much admitting they've got no idea. It remains the only aeroplane hijack in US history that remains unsolved. Truly weird and most fascinating.

We've got something of a stack of Storyville documentaries recorded from BBC4. These come from all around the world and usually feature something pretty offbeat or unusual. The one we watched last night was the bizarre story of DB Cooper, who hijacked a plane in 1971 and parachuted out, never to be seen again. Well, there was never any positive identification or arrest. The documentary featured four possible suspects, all of whom seemed plausible. The FBI have closed the case, pretty much admitting they've got no idea. It remains the only aeroplane hijack in US history that remains unsolved. Truly weird and most fascinating.

There was a kid who found some of the "marked" money in a forest near the Columbia river in Vancouver. About $2,000.00 according to a television documentary here.

We are going to watch the new Wonder Woman movie tonight, streaming on HBO Max. I thought we were going to have to pay extra for it, but discovered all I had to do was sign up for the app on my phone or the computer and it would be free though our cable company. Told Craig it should be considering how much we pay for cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom