What would you choose?

Here is a menu from my favorite Dallas chef. I've been there a couple of times, but not lately. What would YOU choose?
Nothing on there really flips my lid, but if I were there, I’d get the house salad to start, and a ribeye with the peppercorn sauce for my main, with some non-shareable tater tots on the side.

Apart from the ribeye, I’d get the pheasant.

From your past posts, it seems like it doesn't matter what you each choose to order, MrsT chooses what you each EAT. :laugh:

CD
It’s a system that’s worked itself out. In a lot of ways (apart from seafood), we have similar tastes in general, but not on any given day.

We each pick something, and it’s usually things we can both eat, then she tries them both and:

1. If she likes them both, we share
2. If she likes hers but not mine, she keeps hers
3. If she likes mine but not hers, she takes mine*

Even though I’m picky about sorting things, eating items in a certain order, things like that, I’m usually not too picky about what I’m eating, meaning if she orders chicken and I order beef, I’ll gladly eat either one, where she always has to be “in the mood” for something, so even though she likes burgers in general, if she’s not “in the mood” for a burger, she won’t eat one. I’m not like that.

*The caveat is if she orders something I don’t like, I tell her in advance that she’s stuck with it if she doesn’t like it.

Big difference between my menu and yours :laugh:

Yeah, that's Dean Fearing's restaurant. It is in the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dallas. I can't afford to eat there on anything like a regular basis. I'll try to pick out a local menu more sensible for my next post.

I hope forum members keep this thread going. It is fun to eat vicariously... at least for me.

CD

Yeah, that's Dean Fearing's restaurant. It is in the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dallas. I can't afford to eat there on anything like a regular basis. I'll try to pick out a local menu more sensible for my next post.

I hope forum members keep this thread going. It is fun to eat vicariously... at least for me.

CD

I will have a proper look later when I am relaxed.

That's a great menu, caseydog !
For starters I'd probably go for the tuna and corn aguachile. The gazpacho looks a bit bastardised for me (SHRIMP!?? COULIS??:laugh::laugh:) but might be interesting, and even the carpaccio could tempt me. Something "tobacco fried" must be good.
Mains? Well no way would I be eating antelope, giraffe, zebra, rattlesnake or any of those other meaty things:cool: but the halibut looks great. If the halibut's "off" I'd go for scallops!
Dessert? I'd stick with a nice bourbon.

When I was in my home town last year, we frequently had lunch or dinner at The Oak on the Green. It's probably classified as a "Gastro Pub" right now, and is usually packed. Food, in general, is very good. They change their "specials" menu every month, and while I was there, one of the most delicious dishes we ate was a cod steak, with chorizo crust. Their "mexican" menu - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
See what you think:
Oak on the Green

For starters I'd probably go for the tuna and corn aguachile. The gazpacho looks a bit bastardised for me (SHRIMP!?? COULIS??:laugh::laugh:) but might be interesting, and even the carpaccio could tempt me. Something "tobacco fried" must be good.

Dean Fearing is famous for his Tortilla Soup.

1699569331131.png

CD

Nothing on there really flips my lid, but if I were there, I’d get the house salad to start, and a ribeye with the peppercorn sauce for my main, with some non-shareable tater tots on the side.
Next time I'm in Cinci, I'll invite you to a Khasaksthani restaurant and see if Borat can help you out. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When I was in my home town last year, we frequently had lunch or dinner at The Oak on the Green. It's probably classified as a "Gastro Pub" right now, and is usually packed. Food, in general, is very good. They change their "specials" menu every month, and while I was there, one of the most delicious dishes we ate was a cod steak, with chorizo crust. Their "mexican" menu - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
See what you think:
Oak on the Green

Living in Texas, I don't eat Mexican food anywhere it is not cooked by Mexicans.*

From that menu, I'd start with Welsh rarebit, which I have actually never had, but really want to try. Then, I love Haddock and chips. I'm pretending I didn't see chili on the menu -- with kidney beans. :eek:

CD

* In Texas, EVERY restaurant kitchen is full of Mexican cooks.

When my son lived in Mexico, he once took us to a restaurant called " Azul". The chef is Ricardo Muñoz. Very talented and focussed on modern, but traditional Mexican food. His "Sopa Azteca" was just incredible. Blue corn tortillas. Amazing.
1699570060563.png

We are going to to lunch later with family to a place we haven't been to for years. The menu looks pretty good. Question in..what would you choose.

View attachment 106807

View attachment 106809
Here's my order:
Stilton & Peppercorn Portobello Mushroom or Pate or maybe both?
Steak & Ale Pie
and for dessert Sticky Toffee Pudding.
My reasoning is similar to yours Lullabelle, I like to order dishes that I would not make at home.
My husband would order a burger or steak or maybe even the Fish and chips, so no sharing here.
Yes, I've had Pate before, but it's been many years, and you just don't find that often here, especially in Cowboyville Arizona!
And I too think that this is a great idea for a thread!

Back
Top Bottom