What's for Easter Dinner?

Leg of lamb, gravy, roast potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding(not a traditional accompaniment, but it's a treat) other vegetables. None of us like mint sauce.
I've not cooked a leg of lamb for such a long because Mr K isn't that keen, but it was his idea!

Leg of lamb, gravy, roast potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding(not a traditional accompaniment, but it's a treat) other vegetables. None of us like mint sauce.
I've not cooked a leg of lamb for such a long because Mr K isn't that keen, but it was his idea!
I did leg of lamb the other day - Tesco's are doing them half price. Dead easy to cook - 3 hours at 160 C the rested for 20 mins. Studded with rosemary and garlic. Cooked on a bed of sliced onions and with hot water added - this then makes the gravy. Everyone here likes mint sauce which I think is lovely made with fresh mint (quite different from the jars).

We do not celebrate Easter, for us it is about having 4 days off work to rest and recharge the batteries. Neither of us like h c buns nor do we bother with chocolate eggs, we get 1 each other from work which is nice but otherwise we don't bother. We will be having a roast dinner on Monday but only because we are joining a family gathering tomorrow, buffet food, so won't have a proper dinner.

I did leg of lamb the other day - Tesco's are doing them half price. Dead easy to cook - 3 hours at 160 C the rested for 20 mins. Studded with rosemary and garlic. Cooked on a bed of sliced onions and with hot water added - this then makes the gravy. Everyone here likes mint sauce which I think is lovely made with fresh mint (quite different from the jars).

We like to cook ours covered on gas mark 2 for about 4 hours, the meat falls off the bone and melts in the mouth. Rosemary and garlic are a must :hungry:

Looks like Easter dinner is going to be a curry. Hot as possible!

I don't like too much heat. Three years ago on holiday in Thailand we had a set meal at the hotel 1 evening, I asked for the soup but mild, it was so hot it gave me hiccups. The waitress assured us it was mild, maybe by their standards :soup: :heat:

Wish I'd had time to log in before cooking it! It's out of the oven resting atm. I rubbed it with a mixture made from garlic, lemon rind, rosemary and olive oil. I like the idea of cooking it on a bed of onions though. Next time. Miss K will be on gravy duty, she's well trained!

I've never had hot cross buns, but I always thought the cross was a sort of icing, and would be sweet. It does seem that Americans favor sweet items over savory, at least with regard to baked goods. I like both, but really do like ending a meal with something sweet, although these days in particular, the desserts seem to be getting smaller.

I ended up cooking a ham steak, potatoes and carrots. I scaled it way back from what I usually do. I poured pineapple juice and pineapple chunks over the ham steak as I cooked it. I also made a batch of ricotta cheese, and mixed it up with sliced strawberries and reserved pineapple juice and chunks for dessert. It was delicious, and lighter than my usual holiday dessert.

Well the cross on the buns is why they are called 'hot cross buns' in the first place. Without the cross on them, they would just resemble a regular bun. I like hot cross buns too, but have not bought any of them yet for the season. I like them with raisins too - the whole works. I have found though, that recently the buns are not as hot or gingery as they used to be. I like my hot cross buns with a lot of ginger, but it seems like the makers are cutting back on the ginger. I have never tried making them myself.
Yes re the cross - but i think @winterybella was meaning the sugary cross. In the UK they are cooked with a simple flour and water cross. See the recipe I posted: Hot Cross Buns. I think they would be just fine for @winterybella! I like the idea of ginger. I haven't tried that. Cinnamon is the usual spice. Do you mean pieces of crystallised ginger or powdered ginger?

I've never had hot cross buns, but I always thought the cross was a sort of icing, and would be sweet. It does seem that Americans favor sweet items over savory, at least with regard to baked goods. I like both, but really do like ending a meal with something sweet, although these days in particular, the desserts seem to be getting smaller.

I ended up cooking a ham steak, potatoes and carrots. I scaled it way back from what I usually do. I poured pineapple juice and pineapple chunks over the ham steak as I cooked it. I also made a batch of ricotta cheese, and mixed it up with sliced strawberries and reserved pineapple juice and chunks for dessert. It was delicious, and lighter than my usual holiday dessert.
In America the crosses are made of icing usually. In the UK they aren't. See my recipe: Hot Cross Buns

Do you mean pieces of crystallised ginger or powdered ginger?

No, I was not referring to crystallised ginger, just powdered ginger which gives the bun a nice gingery taste. I suppose cinnamon is added to the buns I buy too, but the ginger is the main ingredient.

I was surprise when you buns called for the flour and water for the cross. I know it's usually some sweet stuff which I suppose is icing and I am happy without that sweet stuff. The bun is sweet enough for me. The weekend ended and I still did not try any. All I baked were some rock cakes not something many would consider for Easter baking. No surprise from me as I am not into these seasons.

Back
Top Bottom