What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to get some stuff done in the garden before the rain started. I lost a couple of my tomato plants to critters, but I had some spare backup plants, so those went into the ground. I added some straw mulch as well.

Round the front, I weeded about half of the main bed (there’s so much more to do!), and took stock of what’s what - I did some some common milkweed take hold in the bed I refer to as “the useless dirt patch”. Butterfly weed is up and look like it will bloom, and much to my surprise, it looks like the bee balm that looked awful last year survived the winter. One of my liatris plants appears to have died, but the other’s coming along. Scarlet coneflower husband planted for me last fall died, but I bought a purple one so I stuck that in the empty spot.

There’s a lot more to do, but it’s coming along!

This cat was sitting out at the brush pile when I got up at 6:30AM, and he’s still there at 10:30AM:

IMG_4703.jpeg

Well, I suppose if you’ve been on the job since 6:30AM, you do deserve a little lie-down now and again:

IMG_4706.jpeg

Yep, he’s taking a flipping nap now.

We've been getting pretty good rain lately. Heavy rain and hail last night. But, that is normal for May/June. It will go away in July/August.

CD

The rain cleared up a bit last evening, so after work I took advantage of the nice soft ground I did more weeding in the front. I also planted some beans out back, and took stock of how the garden’s doing - first round of spinach is ready for harvest, radishes are doing great, lettuce is coming along nicely. Tomatoes seem to have taken hold and are growing.

The sunflowers I planted have also sprouted! This is a big deal for me since, for some reason, I have never successfully grown a sunflower before. They’re supposed to be super easy, and mine always get fungus and die if I start them indoors. One year I planted them outside, but the sprouts all got eaten by rabbits. Of course, now that I’ve posted about this, they’ll probably all croak.

My repurposed-bike-helmet hanging baskets are also doing great.
4564EDB8-9AA7-4E7C-A7D2-0B6F4AACB4E9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom