What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do preserve a bit when I can, one year I got a huge jalapeño harvest so I pickled those. I also dried some tomatoes one year, and when I’ve got a lot of a herb sometimes I’ll dry it. I also try to make and freeze pesto every year with basil that I grow.

Do your jalapeños get hot up there? My early season japs are not very hot, due to cooler, wetter weather. The ones I get in August/September are scorchers.

CD

Harvested about a kilo of various tomatoes today. All sorts of heirloom varieties. Some better than others but most plants came to me free this year...

And the first of the pear harvest has started. I got about 5kg today. It will increase rapidly every few days for the next few weeks. I've got a dual graft tree, so 2 varieties on the same tree. They ripen at different intervals. I'll be in hospital more likely than not, so I'll just have to get hubby to load up the other fridge with them until I'm out and can preserve them. Same with the apple tree. But both desperately need water. It hasn't really rained here since the start of the year now!

I also have these that the chooks must have missed. They are both growing in cracks in the concrete. No idea where they get their water from but they appear happy.

20230314_123555.jpg
20230314_123633.jpg

Do your jalapeños get hot up there? My early season japs are not very hot, due to cooler, wetter weather. The ones I get in August/September are scorchers.

CD
They do get pretty hot, but as you’ve noted it depends on the weather. The hotter and drier the weather, the hotter the pepper.

We regularly get summers with several weeks of temps in the 30+ range (celcius). Especially with climate change, those are now normal summer temperatures for us. Higher than 35 is unusual but not unheard of, we usually hit that couple times a year.

We have a freeze coming Sunday night, so no planting this week. This should be the final freeze.

CD

They do get pretty hot, but as you’ve noted it depends on the weather. The hotter and drier the weather, the hotter the pepper.

We regularly get summers with several weeks of temps in the 30+ range (celcius). Especially with climate change, those are now normal summer temperatures for us. Higher than 35 is unusual but not unheard of, we usually hit that couple times a year.

In July and August, my peppers flower, but don't set fruit due to the over 100F/38C days we get during those months. But, it stays warm enough for peppers to grow nicely -- and :pepper:-- in September and October.

Last year it was over 100F for so many days (47), that everything died. Not a record, though. In 2011, we had 71 Days over 100F. :heat:

CD

The pears are starting to come off the pear tree. I wait until they come off when you touch them and then ripen them off the tree (pears ripen best after picking, not on the tree)...

20230315_105824.jpg

This is the second bucket full this season. I might have had 10% off this 1 tree so far.

The pears are starting to come off the pear tree. I wait until they come off when you touch them and then ripen them off the tree (pears ripen best after picking, not on the tree)...

View attachment 97295

This is the second bucket full this season. I might have had 10% off this 1 tree so far.
Daughter has a pear tree as well. Do you preserve/bottle?

Russ

Id be keen to get your pear vinegar recipe please??
Pretty simple, though really there isn't a set recipe. More a process. Make cider and add mother, turn alcohol to vinegar. I'll write it up tomorrow... and add a few photos of what it is like now. You can make it with any fruit, including just skins and core, rather than whole fruit. I think it's better to use all of the fruit because so much is not used when you have fruit trees. And the more concentrated the pear juice (less watered down) the stronger the vinegar will be.

This is the same batch as I'm photo tomorrow
Before I strained the sediment off.

March in my garden here in South Florida:
  • Grass is dry and brown
  • Starfruit tree just finished its "winter crop"
  • Mango tree is in blossom after about a month's delay (due to lack of watering)
  • I also recently moved my Scotch Bonnet pepper plant from inside to out and it has rewarded me with a few baby peppers so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom