What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busy planting this morning, given everything a good soak but it is a hot one today so will water them again later. Our water butt is full due to all the rain we had earlier in the year.

According to the experts at Chelsea Flower Show, we do not have weeds in our garden, they are 'wild flowers'

A weed is pretty much any plant that is naturally growing someplace you don't want it growing. :D

BTW, my HOA recently sent me a notice of non-compliance for my backyard. One item was the "weeds" in my garden. They attached a photo of my oregano. :facepalm:

CD

I was out in the garden at 7am this morning, weeding the kitchen garden patch (which is a triangular 2x2x2 mts.) The only things there now are some ginger plants, which will produce loads of ginger in 4-5 months. But I wanted to remove every single weed so I can plant more herbs, tomatoes and chiles there.

A weed is pretty much any plant that is naturally growing someplace you don't want it growing.
Yep, that's almost the definition I know.

Even an orchid can be a weed. In the UK they used to turn up in my potted plants and in my lawn, and between the natural flagstones of the driveway! One year I found one growing in my courgette container from the previous year, just a common spotted orchid, nothing "fancy" but it got to stay there. I just ignored that pot for a 5 years or so until it died. My garden was full of orchids and hubby used to have to keep track of the minefields of wire covering yet another spot in the lawn where yet another orchid had self seeded and started to grow. Until it died back completely after flowering and seeding, he couldn't cut that 30cm patch of lawn.

The one in the driveway was problematic and short lived sadly, a heath spotted orchid, again pretty common throughout all of the UK including the far north and the Orkney Islands.

A weed is pretty much any plant that is naturally growing someplace you don't want it growing. :D

BTW, my HOA recently sent me a notice of non-compliance for my backyard. One item was the "weeds" in my garden. They attached a photo of my oregano. :facepalm:

CD

I don't like neat, regimented planted gardens, much prefer 'rough around the edges' with a few unexpected pretty faces popping up in random places, looks more natural.

I don't like neat, regimented planted gardens, much prefer 'rough around the edges' with a few unexpected pretty faces popping up in random places, looks more natural.

When it comes to my yard and gardens, and with design in general, I hate symmetry. Balance, on the other hand, is very important. But, those two things are not the same.

I lost two large, well established bushes in the heat and drought last year in the backyard. I haven't decided what to do about them. I need to do a little work on general "cleanup" back there, perhaps today. Live oak trees drop their leaves in the Spring, not the fall. The leaves are immediately replaced by fresh new ones. My live oak tree is huge, so I'm still dealing with the leaves.

CD

I lost two large, well established bushes in the heat and drought last year in the backyard. I haven't decided what to do about them. I need to do a little work on general "cleanup" back there, perhaps today. Live oak trees drop their leaves in the Spring, not the fall. The leaves are immediately replaced by fresh new ones. My live oak tree is huge, so I'm still dealing with the leaves.

CD

1685140952055.jpeg

1685140930604.jpeg

In the back part of the yard, behind the row of bricks, is not dirt. It is decomposed granite (basically pulverized granite). It is like pavement, but water can penetrate it. There is a semicircular garden to the left of the fire pit. It had a six-foot tall pyracantha in it until the heat and drought last summer did it in.

The stone walkway in the foreground leads to the side door of my garage.

I can't wrap my arms around the trunk of that tree and have my fingers touch. It is huge.

CD

When it comes to my yard and gardens,... I hate symmetry. Balance, on the other hand, is very important.
Well said. It's the easiest thing in the world to have a load of straight lines, but it's boring.
I haven't got that problem at the moment; I've got JUNGLE. My strimmer decided to give up the ghost, my gardener has gone Evangelist and it's raining cats and dogs every day.

I had this week off work, for the express purpose of gardening. It took me all week, but I finally got the veggie patch weeded:
IMG_0484.jpeg

50269A45-B997-449E-9B5F-CA7445CED4C8.jpeg

Before and after.

I also planted up my hanging baskets (repurposed bike helmets), planted some annuals in my shed window boxes, weeded one of the beds in the front yard (which is a mess), and planted my basil.

On Sunday, I plan to get this veggie bed planted up with more spinach, lettuce, radish, leeks (I already have some going in the bottom right corner), tomatoes, peppers, beans, and sunflowers.

Our ground is dry and hard so we could do with a heavy prolonged rain shower to loosen everything up and hopefully make the ground easier to work with and top up the water butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom