What's your favorite way to prepare short ribs?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:07 AM
I am excited to try them, the grocery store had some nice ones on sale so I picked up a few packages of them. Yeah, I know, I have been living under a rock, LOL, not only have I never made them, but I have never even tried them at a restaurant! I know they are a popular item, and I see many of the folks in this forum raving about them.

What's your favorite way to prepare short ribs, and could you please provide some recipes or at least a general list of ingredients for marinades and preparation methods? Thank you all!

IMG_5555.JPG

I can't lie, I cheat!
Here's the rub (pun intended) I ran out of this mix and my supply chain is gone.
So, I'm going to have to make my own and this is the recipe that I've landed on, but not tried yet.
It sounds pretty typical of a Hawaii-style recipe for Kalbi though.
I would say to NOT omit the Asian Pear nor the gochujang.
Oh, these or Flanken Cut Beef Ribs btw.

I am excited to try them, the grocery store had some nice ones on sale so I picked up a few packages of them. Yeah, I know, I have been living under a rock, LOL, not only have I never made them, but I have never even tried them at a restaurant! I know they are a popular item, and I see many of the folks in this forum raving about them.

What's your favorite way to prepare short ribs, and could you please provide some recipes or at least a general list of ingredients for marinades and preparation methods? Thank you all!
Last time I used the pressure cooker and used this recipe Pressure Cooker Short Ribs. I probably added some carrots and celery too.

We've braised them before with a mirepoix, garlic, red wine, tomato paste, plus either some fresh rosemary or thyme. Salt and pepper short ribs after trimming excess fat. Brown well, remove. Sautee mirepoix, then add a couple Tbsp tomato paste and stir to cook it out, then add a cup or 3 of a fruity red wine (depending on how winey you like it) and some beef stock. Cover and let cook until tender.

We usually make this the day before, refrigerate, take off the congealed fat layer, then warm up enough to remove the short ribs. Then, use the immersion blender, which will thicken the sauce. Cook the sauce down some if it's still too thin, then add the ribs back in to finish warming.

We usually serve with a potato mash of some sort.

Last time I used the pressure cooker and used this recipe Pressure Cooker Short Ribs. I probably added some carrots and celery too.

We've braised them before with a mirepoix, garlic, red wine, tomato paste, plus either some fresh rosemary or thyme. Salt and pepper short ribs after trimming excess fat. Brown well, remove. Sautee mirepoix, then add a couple Tbsp tomato paste and stir to cook it out, then add a cup or 3 of a fruity red wine (depending on how winey you like it) and some beef stock. Cover and let cook until tender.

We usually make this the day before, refrigerate, take off the congealed fat layer, then warm up enough to remove the short ribs. Then, use the immersion blender, which will thicken the sauce. Cook the sauce down some if it's still too thin, then add the ribs back in to finish warming.

We usually serve with a potato mash of some sort.
That sounds great!

View attachment 85085

I can't lie, I cheat!
Here's the rub (pun intended) I ran out of this mix and my supply chain is gone.
So, I'm going to have to make my own and this is the recipe that I've landed on, but not tried yet.
Let us know how your seasoning rub turns out and come back to share!

Oh, I forgot about Asian. There's a good recipe for galbi at mykoreankitchen.com . You can use either flanken cut or short ribs. I cooked the short ribs in the oven, covered, with the marinade as the cooking liquid.

View attachment 85085

I can't lie, I cheat!
I'm loosing my mind!
It does help when add the link to the recipe for Kalbi!

Grilled Kalbi Short Ribs (Korean Short Ribs, Hawaiian-Style)

:facepalm:

Short ribs are beef ribs.

I didn't know that. I thought they were just ribs that were short.

Here they appear to consider pork ribs "short" also.

Pork Short Ribs Rack

I haven't eaten beef ribs (long or short) since leaving Malaysia*.

*Malaysia (and also much of Indonesia) is predominantly Muslim therefore pork is rare. Beef is the preferred substitute.

Last edited:
But Yorky always gets these noodle bowls. Is that what you do as well, noodle bowls?

Anyway, we are veering off-topic, back to beef short ribs. I ended up freezing them because I have other things going on for several days, I will have to give it a shot next week.
yes, I do use my homemade Char Siu in Noodle bowls as well, Fried Saimin (another noodle dish), Fried Rice, Cold Somen Noodle Salad (yum, need to make that dish again soon), umm, I know there's another dish that I add Char Siu to, but just can't think of it right now.

View attachment 85085

I can't lie, I cheat!
Kalbi is my favorite way to enjoy short ribs. I don't use a dry rub, but I cover them in marinade for a few hours before barbequing.
I often cheat and use a store bought marinade. I will take a picture of the one I like to use.

Back
Top Bottom