Whats your oldest cookbook or cooking utensil?

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:21 AM
I have a cookbook my mother received as a new bride. It's at least 70 years old. It's close to 4 inches (10 cm) thick and has everything from how to sit a table to handling servants and tradespeople to building smoke houses and root cellars, besides recipes.

I also have her bundt cake pan. It's burnt orange in color and is Nordic Ware. It's at least 50 years old, probably a little older.

Also have a handmade clay covered casserole of hers. It's oval in shape and the top is in the shape of a duck. It's painted/glazed as a mallard. I had 1 too that was a lying down, feet tucked rabbit. Unfortunately, the top was dropped and shattered. They were bought from a family pottery ware place in North Carolina, my dad's birthplace, in the early to mid 1980s.

Have to look when I get home. Used to have my Mom's cookbooks. I loved looking at the photos, and imagined to make and eat those surreal beautiful dishes...

I picked up a Griswold CI fry pan from a "junk shop" - slant logo/markings date it to pre-1920.
still in daily use . . .

many other kitchen gadgets from 2 generations back.
but the oldest is probably a speckled stoneware pitcher - used by my grandmother to keep the starter for buckwheat pancakes - she got it from her mother (born 1873, emigrated to USA in 1902) who brought it over from Austro-Hungary.

I've got one too, though not quite that old, maybe late 70s, early 80s.

I DO also have a later one. I think it was published around 2018. Bought it at a B&N store in Kenmore Square on 07/12/18. I like to have old recipes as well as new ones!! :whistling:

These 2. 2018 & '72.

An old Edmonds cook book circa 1975 (our first flat)
Mums old chopping board, I remember wiping it down as a 10 yo. So it's 54 years old, it's in the cupboard and very very hardly used. It has pics of veges and words saying chop your veges on my back side. Top for meat I assume.
My daughter will get these when I'm gone.

Russ

Last edited:
Almost like when I got the first '72 Betty Crocker. I gave it away to a co-worker because I bought a later edition of the cookbook. Then I bought another from Amazon, I think. Lost that one in storage!! Then now, bought yet another one from Ebay!! Not getting rid of THIS one!!! It became harder & harder to get!! The older it becomes, it's so hard to obtain!!! That's usually the case with most cookbooks & regular books!!! :eek:

I picked up a Griswold CI fry pan from a "junk shop" - slant logo/markings date it to pre-1920.
still in daily use . . .

many other kitchen gadgets from 2 generations back.
but the oldest is probably a speckled stoneware pitcher - used by my grandmother to keep the starter for buckwheat pancakes - she got it from her mother (born 1873, emigrated to USA in 1902) who brought it over from Austro-Hungary.

I have a Griswold from around the same era -- maybe a little later. I looked it up once, but I don't recall exactly what I found. It's a great pan -- It's my official "cornbread pan."

My solid oak kitchen table was purchased new by my maternal grandparents, which would have been late 1920s.

CD

Seems I got rid of the cookbooks I mentioned earlier in some of my movings, so the oldest now would be this one: Vegetarian Fiesta, compiled by Masterchefs of India, 2000.

A black tray, my Grandma's, as mentioned in another post, used to be a foldable side table top, must be 60-70 y old. Brought over from Sofia.

Large salad bowls,possibly also my Grandmas, unsure. Some of my plates too.

Grandma used to have beautiful cups, glassware, plates, in her flat in Sofia, she collected them on her travels around Europe, and in Bulgaria.

I always admired her aesthetics sense.

She was an amazing home cook. She knew all of her recipes from memory. Food was delicious.💙

This is the only "cookbook" that I have on DVD. First, I had the series on VHS, lost it in storage, then I got the DVD set used. It did not have the recipe booklet. Bought it again new. The recipe booklet came with this one!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom