When You Want a Vegetarian or Vegan Meal, What Veggies Do You Find Most Satiating?

Just about any kind of squash, beets, egg plant and mushrooms (especially portobellos)

Generally speaking root veg will be the most satiating. Mushrooms, peppers and onion are my glue if I'm doing a constructed dish, but yeah, root veg is the most satiating imo.

When I'm putting a strictly vegetarian or vegan meal together, which I do weekly, it's important that you do actually consider grains or other starches, beans and protein being the most important.

Last edited:
There is a side-dish I often made for my vegetarian friends (although I make it for us too even if we are not vegetarians) which is spinach (about a kilo) with toasted pine nuts and raisins. May sound weird but it’s very good.

I've used that combination on pizza (with an egg as well) - Florentine pizza is how I know it. Delicious!

To be sated or satiated, I have always taken to mean to be relieved of hunger. But by definition, the words are more loosely defined, synonymous with satisfaction, either applicable to relief from hunger or satisfaction of taste and pleasure.

Given what I have always personally held true, there are two vegan food items that I know are regarded as relievers of hunger, - celery and bananas. Chocolate also qualifies, but I don't see it as particularly vegan.

We noticed this in so many weddings! "For you entrée, we have a beautiful selection of steak, chicken, duck, fish...oh, you're vegetarian? Here, have this eggplant dish at the bottom of the menu."
They're lucky to get eggplant... the weddings I've been to had a choice of pasta or the same pasta, with maybe a few peas running through it, with some iceberg lettuce on the side, for the vegetarians.

EDIT: The high starch only component for that dish would probably make me drive off the road and into a ditch on the way home! My system seems to require fats and proteins, and I am certain this is true for many vegetarians or vegans as well.

Last edited:
To be sated or satiated, I have always taken to mean to be relieved of hunger. But by definition, the words are more loosely defined, synonymous with satisfaction, either applicable to relief from hunger or satisfaction of taste and pleasure.

Given what I have always personally held true, there are two vegan food items that I know are regarded as relievers of hunger, - celery and bananas. Chocolate also qualifies, but I don't see it as particularly vegan.

By satiated, I think they feel like they've had a full meal. Without necessarily going the sugar route.

There are actually vegan dark chocolates.

I do vegetarian samosas which are my kids faves, they prefer over beef samosas.

Russ
I love samosas. And since i've only ever gotten from Indian restaurants or from Indian co-workers back in the day when we had potlucks there (prior to retirement), they never had beef in them. Soley potato ones I never cared for, but I liked ones with a variety of non-starchy veggies.

There is a side-dish I often made for my vegetarian friends (although I make it for us too even if we are not vegetarians) which is spinach (about a kilo) with toasted pine nuts and raisins. May sound weird but it’s very good.
Unfortunately I can no longer eat pine nuts, and I cannot tolerate the texture of raisins or most dried fruit. (Strawberries are at least not gummy.)

If I want to feel filled, I´d take starchy root veg (potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro root) and add something like peas, peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms,etc.
Spinach, kale, cabbage, lettuce, celery, never give me a feeling of being full, even though I love them.

Deep fried cauliflower makes a very filling addition to any vegan or veggie meal.
Make a batter with plain flour and soya milk, lightly seasoned with your preferred herbs and spices.
Dip the florets into the batter and golden fry them in olive oil.

I was organizing photos on the laptop this week and came across a deep-fried cauli dish I´d completely forgotten about - cauliflower pakoras, made with besan (chickpea) flour, a bit of onion and spices. Really satisfying.

I was organizing photos on the laptop this week and came across a deep-fried cauli dish I´d completely forgotten about - cauliflower pakoras, made with besan (chickpea) flour, a bit of onion and spices. Really satisfying.
One of our more popular bar dishes was a deep fried cauliflower recipe loosely based on karaage with a kimchi mayo.

Although my household is not vegetarian nor vegan, I do make those types of dishes from time to time as I do like them to have more plant-based meals... I like dark greens and beans myself... in a nice garlic-y broth-y based sauce if you will and some gorgeous bread to sop it all up with.
Chopped Broccoli-Rabe, some Sweet White Onions, canned (in a pinch of course :wink:) Great Northern Beans aka Cannellini Beans, a small grate of fresh Nutmeg, loads of Garlic, some Veggie Broth, S&P, a good drizzle of Olive Oil to finish the dish and maybe some grated Parm ...
Just my 2¢

Back
Top Bottom