Who Likes Apple Butter?!!

PBAB (peanut butter & apple butter) sandwiches are hard to beat!

I'm embarrassed to say that I have never eaten apple butter.
Is it like an apple jam?
It tastes of caramelised purée of apple (or whatever fruit you're using), plus whatever spices you've added.

The stuff I make now has very little extra sugar added to it. Just bake the apples until they start to caramelise, purée to a sauce, then bake until you get the consistency you want.

I think I have some "recipes" on here somewhere...

This is a very old thread on the subject of using apple butter (back in 2015) Apple Butter

And I did a recipe on making my own, again 2015. Recipe - Apple Butter but this recipe has added extras like sugar and vinegar, cinnamon

I personally cannot stand the taste of apple butter, and I certainly wouldn't buy 200 disposable containers, even if I liked it, and contribute to that carbon footprint. That would be like buying 200 individual servings of grape jelly, instead of just buying a jar for home use.
Agreed. At least a mouldy glass jar can have the contents composted and the jar washed & recycled. Those plastic containers are usually single use plastic with lids that can't be recycled either and if they are not single use plastic, they need to be washed out individually before being separated from their lid (landfill) and recycled.

I'll stick with glass jars and using up what I buy before it goes bad.

Agreed. At least a mouldy glass jar can have the contents composted and the jar washed & recycled. Those plastic containers are usually single use plastic with lids that can't be recycled either and if they are not single use plastic, they need to be washed out individually before being separated from their lid (landfill) and recycled.

I'll stick with glass jars and using up what I buy before it goes bad.

I'm more focused on use of plastic for no legitimate reason. I see fresh veggies wrapped individually in plastic, and wonder "Why?" Obviously, fresh chicken meat sealed in plastic packaging makes a lot of sense. I have no problem putting fresh veggies directly into my re-usable grocery bag. I'm certainly not going to do that with fresh meat.

MY fundamental goal is to reduce MY carbon footprint, and reduce waste. Not to "eliminate" them, which is virtually impossible in my daily life. If ten percent of Western population (we use the most plastics and fossil fuels) gives up 100-percent of plastics and fossil fuels, it will make a dent. If EVERYONE reduces their consumption of plastics and fossil fuels by ten percent, it will make a much bigger difference. I've reduced that consumption in my life by pretty close to half, and haven't missed it.

CD

I'm embarrassed to say that I have never eaten apple butter.
Is it like an apple jam?
I think I tried it once when I was a very small child and didn't like it, but I am not really fan of apples unless it's in a Dutch apple pie or cobbler. But I see it in the grocery stores.

I personally cannot stand the taste of apple butter, and I certainly wouldn't buy 200 disposable containers, even if I liked it, and contribute to that carbon footprint. That would be like buying 200 individual servings of grape jelly, instead of just buying a jar for home use.
Yeah I haven't eaten it in many years so I would give another try, but since I don't love apples (hate applesauce) I think I would not be a fan.

And I agree about all that plastic waste. I understand the reasoning but I would buy small individual packages of anything only if they were recyclable (and not that much gets recycled these days, unfortunately). Which is why in my single serve coffee maker I have refillable pods that I can fill with my own coffee, wash, and reuse instead of buying those prepackaged pods.

Yeah I haven't eaten it in many years so I would give another try, but since I don't love apples (hate applesauce) I think I would not be a fan.

And I agree about all that plastic waste. I understand the reasoning but I would buy small individual packages of anything only if they were recyclable (and not that much gets recycled these days, unfortunately). Which is why in my single serve coffee maker I have refillable pods that I can fill with my own coffee, wash, and reuse instead of buying those prepackaged pods.
Well, I really can't help how waste is handled when it comes to trash. But plastic IS the biggest issue of it. So is Styrofoam. Also the empty k-cup pods. But it really comes down to what the customer buys & how he or she buys it. The apple butter that I just got is in little plastic containers So are the k-cup pods. It's really up to the manufacturers as to how they package products for the consumer. Trash will always be accumulated in the house. It's entirely up to the makers of the food packed to come up with better designed containers made to eventually disintegrate in the trash when it's thrown away. :unsure:

It's entirely up to the makers of the food packed to come up with better designed containers made to eventually disintegrate in the trash when it's thrown away. :unsure:
Let's hope so! I have seen some compostable packaging on products but that's mostly sold in healthy food stores like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, etc. so it's definitely not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom