Why did you join CookingBites? And, why did you stay?

How did you hear about CookingBites?

• From an internet search for food forums

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • From another food forum or social network

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • From a friend (in real life or online)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • From a link on another website or blog

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Part one: I can't even recall where I first saw this site mentioned. It looked interesting, though.
Part two: I'm not someone who subscribes to many fora, but in my limited experience, one gets fed up with them very soon because there is usually some argumentative halfwit of limited intelligence trying to pick fights with all and sundry. Happily, this place is free of such. Well, mostly...

there is usually some argumentative halfwit of limited intelligence trying to pick fights with all and sundry. Happily, this place is free of such. Well, mostly...

I know what you mean. As you are aware @Duck59, if anyone tries to do that here they get booted off (following warnings, in some cases, depending on how bad their behaviour is). I think the issue on some fora is that the moderators don't monitor everything. If a forum is particularly busy its probably impossible to do so - and they are reliant on members reporting any issues to them.

Here, I'm able to read every single post shortly after it is posted (and I do!). I sometimes edit posts and explain to the poster why (before anyone else really sees it, I suspect). So hopefully we 'nip things in the bud' and arguments or flaming doesn't escalate.

I think there is an element of self selection going on with CookingBites - our regular contributing members tend to be respectful of others views and don't seek conflict. Most are seriously interested in cooking and that is more important than petty fights.

I agree - I hate the way with a lot of social media everything is fleeting and there is no in-depth discussion.

It's just highlight reels of people's lives. Post the good hide the crap.

Love my new BMW! Massive likes.

What don't they post? That they got a loan for the car, the feeling it gives you will be fleeting and your stuck with repayments for the next 8 years, but dam you look good!

I know what you mean. As you are aware @Duck59, if anyone tries to do that here they get booted off (following warnings, in some cases, depending on how bad their behaviour is). I think the issue on some fora is that the moderators don't monitor everything. If a forum is particularly busy its probably impossible to do so - and they are reliant on members reporting any issues to them.

Here, I'm able to read every single post shortly after it is posted (and I do!). I sometimes edit posts and explain to the poster why (before anyone else really sees it, I suspect). So hopefully we 'nip things in the bud' and arguments or flaming doesn't escalate.

I think there is an element of self selection going on with CookingBites - our regular contributing members tend to be respectful of others views and don't seek conflict. Most are seriously interested in cooking and that is more important than petty fights.

No point arguing!

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

A community like this should be helping each other, challenging each other to get better. Be supportive, be kind.

At least that's my view.

I was on a non food forum and was pointed in this direction. I stay because there are some really great people on here, I am learning about other countries and cultures plus picked up a few tips for the kitchen-I never want to stop learning.

Give more than you take, is something I have implemented into my life, it actually feels good to give value to people, to help others. Trust me anyone doesn't do this lots try it, very fulfilling.

Each day I must help one person!

Today offered a homeless man a banana and a coat, he didn't take it to much pride, but I bet he appreciated it none the less.

Social media forums have become very hostile. I've seen it spread to outside the forums in person with tragic results.
I'm well known in the boating and off road vehicle forums under a different screen name starting from 18 years ago and have cut back participation 99%.
I'm at 20.000 threads and posts in one forum, always kept it positive and pretty much have quit from the drama.

I've seen forums that flourish and then fail from petty hostility that grows from being unchecked.
It's not for me anymore.
Cooking bites works even with the exchange rate and Metric vs US measures and slang and we get along with each other typo's, tastes and all.

Ya can't argue taste and everyone in here gets along just fine in spite.

I'm another one in the "Other" category.

I joined back on the 12th October 2012. My (late) Grandfather's birthday as it would happen. I lived in the UK then (and did do all my life until 3 years ago when my husbands work offered to pay him to live and work in Australia, now who is going to turn an offer like that down?).

I've cooked my own food ever since I was 11 (at least) since I became vegetarian because my family didn't cook for me (except for my Grannie who went out of her way to cook for me and help me).) Truth said, my mother and ex-step father are/were awful cooks anyway and the best I ever got was baked potatoes with melted cheese. My ex-step father could kill anything even rice (thinks back to the pressure cooker and the ceiling in one house we lived in). We've always cooked from scratch at home because my Grannie taught me to cook and my mother-in-law has 4 sons and each and everyone of them.... Then my dairy allergy raised its ugly head. At first it was just cow's milk I had issues with. So being vegetarian, I simply went over to goat's milk, goats' butter, goat's cheese, goat's cream and goat's yoghurt. I found ways around recipes wanting crème fraiche, sour cream and so on. I also started to use sheep's milk and sheep's cheese but the former was really hard to get hold of and finding sheep's cream, yoghurt or butter was impossible. Roughly 10 years ago, the dairy protein allergy got really bad and I had to remove all dairy from my diet completely. That is amazingly hard because a considerable number of medications also use dairy as a tablet filler. It comes in the form of lactose monohydrate. The problem is that it is often from the waste products of the dairy industry - a cheap source for the medication industry. Generic drugs are the worst. The issue for me, isn't the lactose (you can only be lactose intolerant which might make you very sick, but won't kill you inside 3 minutes!) it is the contamination of the lactose monohydrate. It can contain dairy proteins to which I suffer anaphylactic shock. I usually react very quickly. I have even had anaphylactic shock to an antihistamine tablet! So as you can imagine, I have to be very careful. It made sense to go to a vegan diet, but I also have chickens of my own. My reasons for being vegetarian were animal welfare. I know the conditions of my own chickens and I do my very best to keep them free range and organic which as much freedom as they want rather than require. Everyone always states how good my eggs are, even others who have their own chickens and it has nothing to do with the breed of chicken because I have numerous different breeds. It is simply that they are happy and have a good diet... so I'm vegan plus eggs (from my own chickens only) and the very occasional bit of honey, again only from small hives where they are not exploited commercially. It is that I am totally against. I would happily go to a raw food diet if hubby would, but that's a step too far for him. As he puts it, he is an economical vegan. He also can't have dairy - it exacerbates a snoring issue and makes his sinuses hurt exceptionally badly. They improved considerably when we ditched cow's dairy over 2 decades ago, but have pretty much cleared since stopping all dairy products from any source, a decade ago. Visitors, family included often comment that their hay-fever or sinus issues clear up when then stay with us (in any country!) So that's my cooking and diet background.... back to forums.

I came over from the 'sister site' Cyclechat.com and at the time was a moderator on that site. This site needed a moderator and so I signed up and helped out. I took over the main duties of a moderator on this site and later became more of an Administrator when my back failed and left me bedbound and subsequently in a wheelchair (though I only use one now when out of the home to do the shopping or go to the cinema/museums/go swimming etc) some 4 1/2 years ago (wish I could find the proper 1/2 symbol on this keyboard!). Then the founder had to rethink his work and amount of it due to family problems. We've all been there and occasionally it is the reason I am very quiet on the site - medical appointments, husband wanting me to spend more time with him, you know the drill. He wanted the site to carry on even though it is a very quiet site compared to his main site. He saw it had potential and offered the site to me. I decided that I had nothing to lose. After all what was the worst that could/can happen? The rest is history. It ticks over.

I've only ever been a member of 4 forums/fora. The 2 above, a vegan one (I'm a quiet member there but report bullying whenever it occurs) and an even quieter one for chickens (everyone is respectful there, I'd leave if it was not the case). I do need to get my act together and get the CB FB page active and live again though. But I hate FB which really hasn't helped!

I have (sadly) long since stopped reading each and every post here - I did for a very long time (5 years or so) and I guess having worked in a school as an IT Engineer for 7 years, and dealing with 11-18 years olds cyber bullying each other (and much, much worse) I don't tolerate bullying at all. I have the founder to thank for teaching me about forum ethics having been a moderator on his main forum for a very long time and having to deal with significantly worse forum bullying there (it's a much bigger and busier site, hence more problems plus it had a politics area which always means massive issues). He set the ground rules for this forum. Taking the site on was/is still a massive leap though.

I was looking for a food forum to join and after a google search found this one. I had a look at a fair few of the threads before joining, and it seemed obvious it was a knowledgeable place, but above all respectful and seemed to be absent of the trolling/bullying behaviours that are so common these days on the interweb.

This is the same platform that I was wondering. I love to explore food as much as possible. I am staying here because of the daily feeds, I am enjoying the conversations over it and learning a lot of things. Soon I will also share my favorite recipes.

I'm on a few murican sites, both very friendly, it must be. Some I've been on for 13 years or so. I contribute but I also learn.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom