Why did you join CookingBites? And, why did you stay?

How did you hear about CookingBites?

• From an internet search for food forums

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • From another food forum or social network

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • From a friend (in real life or online)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • From a link on another website or blog

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Give more than you take, is something I have implemented into my life, it actually feels good to give value to people, to help others. Trust me anyone doesn't do this lots try it, very fulfilling.

Each day I must help one person!

Today offered a homeless man a banana and a coat, he didn't take it to much pride, but I bet he appreciated it none the less.

This is an admirable position to take @timmyc. I try to do the same.

I first tried https://www.chowhound.com, but that one is so disjointed that it didn't hold my interest.

That's exactly why I searched out another forum. I gave CH about three tries over the last few years, and the UI...the whole concept of how that place is presented...it's just mind-boggling. Very little there is intuitive. Posting is a nightmarish combination of keystrokes, and then a hope and a prayer that whatever you posted actually made it through their algorithm and ended up...somewhere on the site.

Good content, but a train wreck on top of a hall of mirrors in user-friendliness.

I'm on a few other forums, and even though they're different hosting platforms, they follow the convention of a collection of segmented sub-forums, all presented on the main page. See a sub-forum, click it, reply or post a new topic. Easy-peasy.

Sometimes, it's great to be different, but not so different that you become unrecognizable or unusable.

Secondly, and this is just in general, in poking around and lurking, regardless of what the forum is about, I don't like close-mindedness.

There's really no single measure that's "authentic," and arguments about how "my Italian grandma didn't do it that way, and she was a real Italian" just bore me. I saw some places where "there's only one way to do it - my way," and the last thing I want to do is argue over food.

I have plenty of strong opinions, but I also know they're *my* opinions, and not yours, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you not to do something your way with your food in your kitchen, because I know I wouldn't like someone to do that to me.

Thirdly, I looked for a place with some activity. I found a couple of cooking forums that were mentioned in national magazines as the go-to food forum, lurked and...crickets. Most recent posts weeks old. That doesn't do me any good.

So far, I've just been on a few days, and it's a very comfortable forum.

I really hope you stay - I do recognise what you say about other places. I like it here because we all seem to get to know each other and members who stay seem to shake down to those who are tolerant and want to chat about food rather than push their prejudices. Maybe its a British thing but tolerance is much valued here.

The other thing I like here is that posts get responses. I've posted things elsewhere and often get no response at all. I can't see the point in that. Its like talking to yourself in the dark!

The other thing I like here is that posts get responses. I've posted things elsewhere and often get no response at all. I can't see the point in that. Its like talking to yourself in the dark!
I have a forum that I manage at work that barely gets any response. I can understand why something where you talk about non-work-related things during working hours won't be very busy, but I honestly feel an echo - like an abandoned cave - when I post something there.

My daughter was visiting me one day. I told her how I missed the forum I used to belong to before it was canceled. And she found this lovely place for me. As soon as I looked around, I felt that I had found a new home. As I have mentioned before, for 10 years I hosted my own cooking game. And this forum has so many elements like it that it feels so comfortable. I like to mix cooking, collecting recipes and sharing them with FUN, and this sure seems the place to do that.

Thank you to the other members for making me feel so welcomed.

My daughter was visiting me one day. I told her how I missed the forum I used to belong to before it was canceled. And she found this lovely place for me. As soon as I looked around, I felt that I had found a new home. As I have mentioned before, for 10 years I hosted my own cooking game. And this forum has so many elements like it that it feels so comfortable. I like to mix cooking, collecting recipes and sharing them with FUN, and this sure seems the place to do that.

Thank you to the other members for making me feel so welcomed.

It really is a great community here, I havnt seen any nastiness at all. Look forward to,your cooks.

Russ

Thank you Russ. I hope we cook things that you will like. I take requests. lol

I have a recipe from the New Zealand Apple and Pear Marketing Board that I cut out of our local paper back in 1992 for grilled chicken if you are ever interested.

Thank you Russ. I hope we cook things that you will like. I take requests. lol

I have a recipe from the New Zealand Apple and Pear Marketing Board that I cut out of our local paper back in 1992 for grilled chicken if you are ever interested.

Have you been here. My sons fave dessert is Apple crumble. Show us your pic if not too much trouble.
Cheers

Russ

Sorry to say no, never been to New Zealand. It was in our local paper here in Fl.

I was sort of looking for recipes by Mary Berry, wondering if there were any forums about her. This one popped up straight away. Had a look, thought: "Ooo, I like this!" And registered there and then.

That's exactly why I searched out another forum. I gave CH about three tries over the last few years, and the UI...the whole concept of how that place is presented...it's just mind-boggling. Very little there is intuitive. Posting is a nightmarish combination of keystrokes, and then a hope and a prayer that whatever you posted actually made it through their algorithm and ended up...somewhere on the site.

Good content, but a train wreck on top of a hall of mirrors in user-friendliness.

I'm on a few other forums, and even though they're different hosting platforms, they follow the convention of a collection of segmented sub-forums, all presented on the main page. See a sub-forum, click it, reply or post a new topic. Easy-peasy.

Sometimes, it's great to be different, but not so different that you become unrecognizable or unusable.

Secondly, and this is just in general, in poking around and lurking, regardless of what the forum is about, I don't like close-mindedness.

There's really no single measure that's "authentic," and arguments about how "my Italian grandma didn't do it that way, and she was a real Italian" just bore me. I saw some places where "there's only one way to do it - my way," and the last thing I want to do is argue over food.

I have plenty of strong opinions, but I also know they're *my* opinions, and not yours, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you not to do something your way with your food in your kitchen, because I know I wouldn't like someone to do that to me.

Thirdly, I looked for a place with some activity. I found a couple of cooking forums that were mentioned in national magazines as the go-to food forum, lurked and...crickets. Most recent posts weeks old. That doesn't do me any good.

Thus my disdain for the words "Authentic" and "Traditional"!:headshake:To me these terms belong to families within a culture. Each hast their authentic/traditional ways of making a dish. The original dish may have been popularized by a region or individual, but each family/generation has their own version! I also can't stand folks that imply that a certain chef's version or method is "The gold standard".:mad:

Back
Top Bottom