Would you be prepared to slaughter an animal for meat?

I realize the hypocrisy of being a meat eater who would prefer not to kill and dress the meat. But, as long as there are people willing to do it, I don't mind paying what is honestly a very reasonable price, even for expensive cuts. But, after the zombie apocalypse, after I've raided all the supermarkets, I know that my wife will still want meat, particularly beef. Guess which one of us would end up having to take care of shopping for dinner?

I realize the hypocrisy of being a meat eater who would prefer not to kill and dress the meat. But, as long as there are people willing to do it, I don't mind paying what is honestly a very reasonable price, even for expensive cuts. But, after the zombie apocalypse, after I've raided all the supermarkets, I know that my wife will still want meat, particularly beef. Guess which one of us would end up having to take care of shopping for dinner?

If your wife develops a sudden craving for brains... RUN!

CD

If your wife develops a sudden craving for brains... RUN!

CD

You aren't kidding. One thing I dread is when she has something really specific she wants from the supermarket. Invariably, whatever it is, I will come back with the wrong thing. So, now she wants brains for dinner, and not just any brains, but brains from people who are physically fit and under a certain age.

"You brought me brains from a race walker when I wanted brains from a jogger!"

"I thought that would be close enough! Sorry, honey. I'll be right back."

As I've posted before I had s friend who worked on a farm 35? Years ago, he taught me how to slit a sheeps throat and shoot a pig in the head then stick it to bleed it. Then we would dress them and I would take home in a sheet (bed) ang hang in my garage for 4 days then cut up. This was when things were a bit tight money wise and meat worked out a fraction of shop bought.

I don't do it now because I can afford to buy, at mates rates of course. If my grandkids knew I did this today they wouldn't talk to me.
Crays I used to throw them in a pot of boiling water but after finding out they feel pain?? I now put live ones in the freezer for a " sleep"

Russ

I don't know if the question is meant to encompass every aspect of harvesting meat, but I see it as two or three related questions rolled into one:

1. Do you have an ethical issue with killing an animal for food?

2. Are you ok with performing the actual killing, but leaving the other skilled work, the processing/butchering to someone else?

3. Are you ok with the substantial work in processing the slaughtered animal? It's not an inconsequential job.

So to answer my own questions...I actually do feel some tugs at my conscience over the harvesting of animals for food, at least as it pertains to my personal situation, meaning that I have no dietary restrictions or difficulty in sourcing other kinds of protein.

It could be that I'm evolving, who knows? In the past, I didn't think at all about food animal welfare. Nowadays, I do by most of my meat from reputable local farms, who advertise humane treatment of their animals, though I'm still not above a Big Mac here and there, and since the pandemic started, I've relaxed my meat-buying standards a bit, getting meat from Kroger, for whom price and profit are their number one concerns, I'm sure. Maybe in five years, I'll be vegetarian. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As it stands now, would I be able to kill an animal, if that were the last practical resort? Yes, definitely, so any squeamishness over the actual act of shooting/slitting of an animal wouldn't be much of an issue, though I certainly wouldn't enjoy it. I've done it and helped do it enough times, though if a person hasn't, it's hard to express how unpleasant it can get, and there's a world of difference in killing, say, a fish, than there is a pig or a cow.

It's the third question then, that's the one that would get in my way from a practical standpoint. Butchering an animal is a lot of work, and much of it isn't exactly fun. It smells, it's physical, and it's messy.

When I think "butchering," my mind goes immediately to pigs, because that's what we butchered the most. Well, not in sheer numbers, that'd be chickens, but in amount of meat, it's hogs, so that's what I think of, and that's some work.

Even chickens, small as they are, are more work than you think, with the scalding and plucking and gutting. Matter of fact, the main reason we stopped raising chickens was that my dad felt it was too much work for too little meat. Chicken day meant taking care of a good 30-40 chickens in a day, and not have a whole lot of meat to show for the work, especially compared to a hog or to an entire beef cow.

So practically speaking, even if I felt the need to raise a pig for meat, I'd pay someone else to do the slaughtering and the butchering. The very last cow we ever raised to eat, all my brothers had grown and moved, and it was just my dad and me, so we did that, and after it was all done and we got all that beef back, cut up and ground the way my dad requested, he shook his head and said, "I should have done this years ago!"
1: No. As long as it is done as humanely as possible. Which is the main reason I like to buy meat sourced from local farms who are of small enough scale that this is likely what they do.
2: I could do the actual killing with a caveat, and let the butchering be done by someone else. i will note that i did not want to dispatch ANY chicken until someone was here in person to show me the ropes. Yes, I had watched YouTube videos, but I wanted a hands-on learning, plus someone to be here in case I (ahem) fowled up. For small animals (chickens, quail, fish and shellfish) I can butcher and part, but I would like someone here with the best knives to do any larger animals. (Also to kill those - I would have no skill on that level at this point). I did assist with a deer that someone else shot on a farm down in Virginia. Learned a few things, but my involvement on that was rather peripheral.
3: Very true! I am willing to pull my weight on the process, if it is an animal raised in my own yard. But for anything larger than a chicken (or a small turkey), I want assistance. One of many reasons, however, that I have no intention of raising cattle.

Regards chickens - working alone I never do more than three a day. The day I first learned there were six of us, and we started with the neighbor's seven old drakes, and then moved over ty my seven broiler chickens. I am glad we did the ducks first - they were significantly harder, so when we got to my flock, they went easy in comparison.

If I do raise pigs for the freezer (or goats...) I will indeed have someone else do the slaughter, but help out with the butchering, if allowed. Of course if a professional takes the job, he's not going to want an amateur assistant, and I'd be fine with that, too. . I would need to learn HOW to slaughter any livestock I might raise, in case one became seriously ill or injured and needed to be put down swiftly before a vet could appear. But not something I'd WANT to do, unless I had to. (And if they're ill, the meat will not be harvested.)

I kill house spiders or cockroaches, if there are any in the flat, because I am too affraid of them escaping and critting around at night...and they do not belong in a flat.but it is never easy...oh gosh
I usher most insects out. Spiders go out. Ladybugs go out. Dragonflies go out. I once rescued one who'd moved in here, and couldn't figure out how to escape.

Fortunately no cockroaches here (shhhh!!!!), but they'd die quickly, if I see them. Same with ticks, mosquitos and those flies that decide to grow into stored grains. Indoor ants go as well. Most everything outdoors can live, except for mosquitos and those ticks. Fortunately, chickens like ticks, but chickens don't seem to range my entire yard.

I once did that with a bat! He flew into the apt & I was trying to get him out. Rather than kill him, I chased him downstairs & opened the door for him to fly out, which he did.:wink:
I love bats. Back in the mid 90s there was a small bat family that made their home in the eaves of the back porch. They'd swoop down and hoover up mosquitos left and right. They flew close to our heads - never had a worry that they'd tangle in my hair. Fortunately they never got indoors. But I was seriously, seriously disappointed that they didn't return the following summer, or ever again.

Much younger, say early70s, we were vacationing in a rental cabin in Maine. To use the shower, you had to go outdoors, where there was an enclosed shower stall. Without my glasses, which I never took with me to shower, I was pretty much blind as a (ahem) bat. So, I took my shower one day, and reached out to the dressing region of the stall, to grab my bathrobe. There was some sort of dark splotch upon it. At the last moment, I realized it was a ... bat. He seemed happy to be there, so I went to the door outside, opened it, and somehow convinced it to leave... (This was in broad daylight, too.) Actually, I did consider running out in my birthday suit, and around and back into the house proper, but hey, for whatever reason, I didn't do that.

I love bats. Back in the mid 90s there was a small bat family that made their home in the eaves of the back porch. They'd swoop down and hoover up mosquitos left and right. They flew close to our heads - never had a worry that they'd tangle in my hair. Fortunately they never got indoors. But I was seriously, seriously disappointed that they didn't return the following summer, or ever again.

Much younger, say early70s, we were vacationing in a rental cabin in Maine. To use the shower, you had to go outdoors, where there was an enclosed shower stall. Without my glasses, which I never took with me to shower, I was pretty much blind as a (ahem) bat. So, I took my shower one day, and reached out to the dressing region of the stall, to grab my bathrobe. There was some sort of dark splotch upon it. At the last moment, I realized it was a ... bat. He seemed happy to be there, so I went to the door outside, opened it, and somehow convinced it to leave... (This was in broad daylight, too.) Actually, I did consider running out in my birthday suit, and around and back into the house proper, but hey, for whatever reason, I didn't do that.

If you ever make it down here to Texas, go to Austin, and watch the bats come out in the evening from the Congress Avenue Bridge -- over a million bats!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWGvf38TVM

CD

I just remembered my friend would select the animal to dispatch a few days earlier and leave it in a pen to relax. He said the meat is more tender as the animal is not stressed. Made sense.

Russ

Here is a YouTube video of a SW Louisiana boucherie (EB, have you been to one?). It is a communal butchering of a pig, and everything from snout to tail is cooked and eaten. It's a big party at the same time, with music and dancing and, of course, drinking.

DO NOT WATCH THIS IS YOU GET SQUEAMISH EASILY.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laVAB8fkM_A&t=190s

CD

I understand your resentment.
In my hood they appear now and then, last ones, tje only ones were 2 y ago, 2 or 3, our tenants representative gave us a poison gel, and they were gone, luckily. The eek is awful.
But selling my flat, my own flat for thst?no, that would not be an option.
They also do regular building sprays against cs and deratizations...so most of the time we are good.
I was exaggerating a bit. LOL Nevertheless, I hate cockroaches. Someone in our building dumped a bunch of trash in the trash room one weekend and roaches spread everywhere. I only saw and I literally left for the afternoon after spraying enough stuff to kill a horse. ;-0 It took about three months of treatment before they were gone. I think that kicked that tenant out. She also spread bed bugs. Luckily, I didn't get any of that nonsense.

I had the exact same trauma when I was a kid...it is in another thread.

I do understand people need to do to obtain food, it is just not for me.
Here's a funny for you.

I was visiting a friend (she was the closest I had to a loving mother figure) in LA (the south here in the states). I was born and raised in Chicago (the "Midwest").

We were in the kitchen making something when I guy knocked on her back door. She told him to come in and they chatted for a bit. I was standing there like a deer in headlights and didn't say anything. He bid us "good day" and left.

She starts talking to me and all I could say was "Are we not going to mention there was just a guy here covered in blood?" LOL She laughed at me and told me that he slaughters pigs. Luckily, I never saw him do it but she said that even his young grandkids watch sometimes.

If you ever make it down here to Texas, go to Austin, and watch the bats come out in the evening from the Congress Avenue Bridge -- over a million bats!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWGvf38TVM

CD
We have a couple of Pipistrelles that live under a neighbour's eaves and they do laps of our garden hoovering up flying bugs in the late evenings, they are nice to have around.

When we got married we Honeymooned partly in Sydney and we walked into the Botanical Gardens to see them all roosting in the trees during the day, really fascinating, like small cats with kites strapped to their backs. Then at night, sitting at the outside bar at the Opera House watching them fanning out over Circular Quay and the Harbour as they set out on their nocturnal feeding missions was mesmerising.

Back
Top Bottom