Would you be prepared to slaughter an animal for meat?

All those bats remind me of the horror film Cujo. He was bitten on his nose by rabid bats in a cave & became rabid himself!!

Last edited:
We have a couple of Pipistrelles that live under a neighbour's eaves and they do laps of our garden hoovering up flying bugs in the late evenings, they are nice to have around.

When we got married we Honeymooned partly in Sydney and we walked into the Botanical Gardens to see them all roosting in the trees during the day, really fascinating, like small cats with kites strapped to their backs. Then at night, sitting at the outside bar at the Opera House watching them fanning out over Circular Quay and the Harbour as they set out on their nocturnal feeding missions was mesmerising.

We stay in manly when we are there, the bats and parrots going home to roost is amazing to see.

Russ

Here is a YouTube video of a SW Louisiana boucherie (EB, have you been to one?). It is a communal butchering of a pig, and everything from snout to tail is cooked and eaten. It's a big party at the same time, with music and dancing and, of course, drinking.

DO NOT WATCH THIS IS YOU GET SQUEAMISH EASILY.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laVAB8fkM_A&t=190s

CD
I will pass. Thank you for the warning🙂

We stay in manly when we are there, the bats and parrots going home to roost is amazing to see.

Russ
Our house before we downsized had a flock of green parrots that would fly across the lake behind the house every morning and early evening. They were quite a sight to see. Non-native birds that had gotten out from 1 of the pet trade import facilities damaged/destroyed during Hurricane Andrew.

In a word, no. I can cut up meat but gutting it, no.

Just one of those things.

Now if a human pisses me off... (I got this big machete)

I can cut up a chicken, but to deal with all the muck, that's their job. They can put it wherever it goes, dog food, hot dogs, whatever.

T

Don't read the spoiler if you are squeamish about killing an animal, seriously. I'm writing about the 1 thing that freaks me out when preparing shellfish that I have just dispatched.

When you are preparing lobster, live diver scallops, and geoduck just after dispatching them, you can feel the muscles twitching as you are slicing them, even sometimes with fish that have just been caught.
Conger are amazingly long lived out of water and there is no easy way to dispatch them either. When I was very small my father caught one and was preparing it outside. He cut the head off and before he could stop me I prodded the head with my foot. despite having no body, the jaws snapped closed narrowly missing my foot.

Also, when preparing them it is usual to cut them into cutlets. Even though they are only cutlets their muscles somehow twitch when you touch them.

Incidentally a fairly humane way of dispatching lobster etc is to pop them in the freezer. Allegedly they just slip into a coma and painlessly die. How it is known it is painless I don't know...

Last edited:
"They" say that things like lobster, shrimp, etc don't have a nervous system sophisticated enough to feel pain, but lobster and crab caught by hand sure are smart enough to know that a diver approaching them is a bad thing for them, so...

My dislike of venison prevented me from getting my dream job, Wildlife Officer (game warden). At my interview, I told them I would not kill a deer because I didn't like the taste of venison. That got me labeled a "Radical Conservationist", end of story.

My dislike of venison prevented me from getting my dream job, Wildlife Officer (game warden). At my interview, I told them I would not kill a deer because I didn't like the taste of venison. That got me labeled a "Radical Conservationist", end of story.
Wildlife Officer would not have it on his/her list to shoot animals, would he/she?

Wildlife Officer would not have it on his/her list to shoot animals, would he/she?

Of course they would. If an animal is injured beyond hope or is ill with something incurable, like brain worm, or is rabid, wildlife officers give them mercy. Most wildlife officers hunt as well.

Of course they would. If an animal is injured beyond hope or is ill with something incurable, like brain worm, or is rabid, wildlife officers give them mercy. Most wildlife officers hunt as well.
It has crossed my mind, I understand now. Thank you.
It is sad he did not get the job, but sometimes it is good, we may not know immediately what for, but it usually is. Maybe it saved his life from a hunting accident, who knows.

I saw a podcast about , will have to look for the exact job title, preservation officer of woods and mountains, let's say, and he mainly dealt with illegal marijuana growers. Damage to water sources and plants and animals in result of...

It has crossed my mind, I understand now. Thank you.
It is sad he did not get the job, but sometimes it is good, we may not know immediately what for, but it usually is. Maybe it saved his life from a hunting accident, who knows.

I saw a podcast about , will have to look for the exact job title, preservation officer of woods and mountains, let's say, and he mainly dealt with illegal marijuana growers. Damage to water sources and plants and animals in result of...

If you can access American Television shows, try "Northwoods Law" or "Lonestar Law". Due to reduced habitat, wildlife has to be managed in most states and hunting is considered a management tool! The Everglades region has suffered several drought situations that have threatened the region's deer population in the past. During drought conditions, "dry land" is created, allowing deer populations to explode. When normal water levels return, suitable habitat and food are no longer available. If the population level isn't sufficiently reduced, the herd will suffer disease and die off. In the early 20th century, the elimination of natural predators in the Kaibab Forest in AZ created a similar situation. Lessons learned as no counter measures were taken there either.

For those that dislike hunting, you should check out:
MDWFP - Pittman-Robertson Act

Most states require Hunter Safety education before getting your first hunting license. Although I haven't participated in teaching a class in years, I am a certified hunter safety instructor for the state of Florida.

Back
Top Bottom