Your most hated part of cooking

It's mostly in raw poultry and is killed when cooked. Cross contamination is the problem so it's just important to use a separate cutting board and disinfect before you store the board. No biggy but we need to be aware.
I think pretty much everyone in CB is aware that salmonella (like most bacteria) is killed when cooked.

I have a special cutting mat for chicken that always goes in the dishwasher.

I have a regular large cutting board which never sees any raw meat or fish.

I have a separate cutting board (actually a couple) - one of which is dedicated to raw poultry only - it is bamboo and cleans up easily with hot water and soap and a good scrubbie. I am also anal about hand washing while dealing with raw chicken. I don't use gloves - okay, I did some years ago when we had a couple long term power outages, and i had chicken in the fridge that needed eating. Either that, or it was going to get tossed. I prepped it with disposable gloves on, and removed each pair every time I had to handle something else. Grilled up nicely, though.
Better safe than sorry. I only use gloves for chilies and rubs basically. I'm not a fan of gloves for fast food workers either, it's scary watching people behind the counter go about their duties with gloves on doing multiple tasks including taking money feeling their doing everyone a favor. I don't blame them I blame the management.

Something I hate when it comes to actual cooking - cutting through large winter squashes with hard shells. I tend to cheat and buy already-sectioned squash at the grocery.
I have an easy way out of that one...I don't like hard shelled squash, or any sweet squashes for that matter! So I never have to worry about it :D

Better safe than sorry. I only use gloves for chilies and rubs basically. I'm not a fan of gloves for fast food workers either, it's scary watching people behind the counter go about their duties with gloves on doing multiple tasks including taking money feeling their doing everyone a favor. I don't blame them I blame the management.
Years ago I was a massage therapist, which is when I first became hyper-conscious about germs. Constant handwashing is a must.

Then I was a restaurant evaluator and auditor, during which time I was also completing medical training in school, so again, very aware. During my restaurant evaluations I had to complete timings while food was being prepared and all the while observing the staff and obtaining names, descriptions, and what each staff member was doing...like answering phones with gloves on, taking money and credit cards, marking to-go items with sharpies that other people had touched, etc. So yeah, there was a report write-up that went to corporate detailing all of this. Some restaurants got really good, some upper management failed to deliver the message back down to the store-management level. There were a variety of different chains I evaluated.

Chipotle for one got really, really good at what they do and they are strict on handwashing and changing gloves frequently. I haven't eaten there since the last time they paid me to go back in 2017. After eating at so many chain restaurants for free, if my friends would say, "Hey, lets go to TGIF" or similar, I would always shoot out suggestions for locally owned places instead.

Very true. People only kid themselves that they are safer. I can see using them with hot chili peppers - although I have never remembered. I just keep telling myself - watch the eyes. Watch the eyes. Watch the eyes....

I'll note with that chicken when we had no power/electric (and hence no running water) I also prepped this outdoors on the patio table, on an appropriate surface. Can't recall if it was a plate or a small cutting board. 2011 - Hurricane Irene and then later, Snowmageddeon, which arrived before most of the leaves dropped - resulting in a heavy wet snowstorm that took down a bunch of trees all over.

Very true. People only kid themselves that they are safer. I can see using them with hot chili peppers - although I have never remembered. I just keep telling myself - watch the eyes. Watch the eyes. Watch the eyes....

I'll note with that chicken when we had no power/electric (and hence no running water) I also prepped this outdoors on the patio table, on an appropriate surface. Can't recall if it was a plate or a small cutting board. 2011 - Hurricane Irene and then later, Snowmageddeon, which arrived before most of the leaves dropped - resulting in a heavy wet snowstorm that took down a bunch of trees all over.
I often let my husband handled cleaning the seeds and pith out of the hot peppers for me. I have gloves that would fit him just fine but he chooses not to wear them. I have to remind him to be careful what he touches when he is done, even if he has washed his hands. Like if he has to visit the loo.

Years ago I was a massage therapist, which is when I first became hyper-conscious about germs. Constant handwashing is a must.

Then I was a restaurant evaluator and auditor, during which time I was also completing medical training in school, so again, very aware. During my restaurant evaluations I had to complete timings while food was being prepared and all the while observing the staff and obtaining names, descriptions, and what each staff member was doing...like answering phones with gloves on, taking money and credit cards, marking to-go items with sharpies that other people had touched, etc. So yeah, there was a report write-up that went to corporate detailing all of this. Some restaurants got really good, some upper management failed to deliver the message back down to the store-management level. There were a variety of different chains I evaluated.

Chipotle for one got really, really good at what they do and they are strict on handwashing and changing gloves frequently. I haven't eaten there since the last time they paid me to go back in 2017. After eating at so many chain restaurants for free, if my friends would say, "Hey, lets go to TGIF" or similar, I would always shoot out suggestions for locally owned places instead.
I remember and don't judge me because Swiss Chalet is something that is required at least once a year, and you have no control over the urge and must be done. lol. Anyway I went to their take out door which was in the rear of the building at the time and I watched a guy put paper in their register for orders coming in, then he swept an area and deposited into the garbage container, then remove chicken from the oven, then proceeded to handle and cut up the chicken into halves and quarters with the same pair of gloves on. I turned around and left......you bet I did.

I remember and don't judge me because Swiss Chalet is something that is required at least once a year, and you have no control over the urge and must be done. lol. Anyway I went to their take out door which was in the rear of the building at the time and I watched a guy put paper in their register for orders coming in, then he swept an area and deposited into the garbage container, then remove chicken from the oven, then proceeded to handle and cut up the chicken into halves and quarters with the same pair of gloves on. I turned around and left......you bet I did.
My first job in a restaurant was when I was in college. It was at a little family-owned Italian restaurant in Florida. No one ever complained about getting sick. The food quality was great, good fresh food, but the hygiene wasn't up to standard by anyone who was working in that kitchen. The owner's son bussed tables, did dishes, prepped food, took out the trash, and did some of the cooking. I think the only time I saw his hands in water was when he was washing dishes.

My first job in a restaurant was when I was in college. It was at a little family-owned Italian restaurant in Florida. No one ever complained about getting sick. The food quality was great, good fresh food, but the hygiene wasn't up to standard by anyone who was working in that kitchen. The owner's son bussed tables, did dishes, prepped food, took out the trash, and did some of the cooking. I think the only time I saw his hands in water was when he was washing dishes.
That quite common and I've been guilty of that on occasion. Well not exactly that. If taking out the trash or doing prep is not a reason to wash your hands then there's little hope lol.

My hubby has the same problem his mother has. Not sitting things. This extends to not going lid up on jars and bottles. So I can go to the cupboard, as I did yesterday, and pick up a bottle of open pomegranate molasses. It was more open than expected! I've learnt not to pick anything up by the lid and not to trust that it's shut. I'll also come back into the kitchen (and this issue isn't limited to the kitchen) to find the cupboard door and drawers partly open. Sometimes they are fully open, but usually partly. He's started to close it, but for some reason stopped just before the point where it pulls itself shut. That's really annoying.

Back
Top Bottom