Your most hated part of cooking

View attachment 79072

This is my potato peeler. I like gadgets but I can't imagine using the one you posted :headshake:

I have one like that. Oxo. They're the best ones around!! Trust me, IDK why I bought that thing either!! Of all the kitchen gadgets that I bought, THAT one was the absolute WORST!! It was more of a nuisense than a convenience!! I'm told that there's one born every minute. Guess that I was one THAT day!!!! :stop:

I have one like that. Oxo. They're the best ones around!! Trust me, IDK why I bought that thing either!! Of all the kitchen gadgets that I bought, THAT one was the absolute WORST!! It was more of a nuisense than a convenience!! I'm told that there's one born every minute. Guess that I was one THAT day!!!! :stop:
Yeah, well you are the gadget guy. We all like to try new toys that appear as if they are going to simplify things for us. Sometimes those commercials and infomercials really make things look fabulous!

And yes, the Oxo is the best!
Peeling and cleaning prawns/shrimp.

They're cold, slippery, the heads can prick you badly in the hand (happened to me a couple of times), and the 'vein' is disgusting poop. It's just a messy, messy, necessary evil as I don't think frozen shrimp are any good.
Try kitchen shears and cut them the same way you would a lobster tail, along the back from the tail to where the head used to be before you pulled/cut it off. Then it's pretty easy to peel the shell off and rinse out the mudvein.

My most hated part of cooking?

Turning around to pick up a knife or other only to find my husband has already washed it and I now need to dry it before I can use it again.
I've walked out of the room for a minute only to return and find that the pan I was going to deglaze and make a sauce is in the sink with soapy water in it (even my cast iron pans that I don't wash with soap).

Turning around to pick up a knife or other only to find my husband has already washed it and I now need to dry it before I can use it again.

I've walked out of the room for a minute only to return and find that the pan I was going to deglaze and make a sauce is in the sink with soapy water in it (even my cast iron pans that I don't wash with soap).

...and everybody laughs at me when I say no one is allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking... :whistling:

Try kitchen shears and cut them the same way you would a lobster tail, along the back from the tail to where the head used to be before you pulled/cut it off. Then it's pretty easy to peel the shell off and rinse out the mudvein.

I actually got the tip from caseydog some time back to use a fork (this was when I was considering getting a shrimp peeler gadget) and that helps a lot.

Hubby will come in whilst I'm cooking to make himself a drink. In those 5 minutes, he causes chaos. I have my back to the kettle and sink, so don't really notice what else's up to. I can literally move from the chopping board to the stove, turn around and walk back to the chopping/ prep area and what I left there is gone, washed and draining... luckily he doesn't throw food or spices away, but if I wanted those carrot ends for anything, forget it. He'll have chopped them and put them into the 'to the compost container' before you have even realised you need them... And as for wooden spoons, i need about 10-15 of them minimum, because if you put it down, it's gone. I have taken to balancing them on the top of the pan or skillet to stop him, but that sometimes browns them... even my do not every wash skillet isn't free from his hands.... The irony is that I still have to remind he to wash his hands when he comes home from being out (covid related nothing else, I can't use or be near hand sanitizers because of their smell, it triggers my asthma, so our rule is first thing we do, wash hands). Yet he'll happily wash the dishes, pots and pans even if they don't need it! I hate him washing one of my skillets (cast iron), the other identical one is fine to wash because that's stainless steel. (Both are same make, size and function, just different materials.) The cast iron one never every gets washed, just warmed up and wiped out (remember there's no meat, fish or dairy in those house, only veg so this isn't a hygiene issue, just a mixing a flavours issue)

Small things to worry about I guess.

Yeah, well you are the gadget guy. We all like to try new toys that appear as if they are going to simplify things for us. Sometimes those commercials and infomercials really make things look fabulous!

And yes, the Oxo is the best!

But the worst & most aggravating & annoying thing that I hate the most is those imfommercials & commercials that advertise kitchen gadgets, cookware & ovens for sale, where they offer you a bombardment of supposedly free accessories to go along with the product(s). They tell you that the stuff is for free, then they'll say: Just pay separate procsecing & handling. or: just pay a separate fee!!! That stuff is NOT FOR FREE. It's just bate & switch!! Just some gimmick to entice you further & to rip you off. Boy, I hate that!!! I either mute the sound or change the channel so that i won't have to hear it!!!!! If I want the stuff that bad, I'll go to the store & get it. That way, there's no separate fee!!! Then if I choose to return it, it's taken off the card!! Or if I paid cash, I get my money back!! :mad::thumbsdown:

Last edited:
But the worst & most aggravating & annoying thing that I hate the most is those imfommercials & commercials that advertise kitchen gadgets, cookware & ovens for sale, where they offer you a bombardment of supposedly free accessories to go along with the product(s). They tell you that the stuff is for free, then they'll say: Just pay separate procsecing & handling. or: just pay a separate fee!!! That stuff is NOT FOR FREE. It's just bate & switch!! Just some gimmick to entice you further & to rip you off. Boy, I hate that!!! I either mute the sound or change the channel so that i won't have to hear it!!!!! If I want the stuff that bad, I'll go to the store & get it. That way, there's no separate fee!!! Then if I choose to return it, it's taken off the card!! Or if I paid cash, I get my money back!! :mad::thumbsdown:
Shysters!

When it comes to professional cooking I hate making things like mayonaise the classic way. My wrist can stand only so much action, lol. There are still chefs who insist such products must be made by hand instead of in a mixer.

Students have the best idea when in rented accommodation. They fill their place with cheap charity shop crockery sets and will only wash up when they are forced into using the gravy boat for breakfast cereals. This is followed by a tea or coffee to use up the remaining milk in left in the gravy boat. They can go weeks sharing such a vessel while the pots in the sink pile up to the ceiling. This pot phenomenon is also known as The Clatter Horn after the famous mountain peak from the noise when one attempts to scale the heights to retrieve a pot or pan causing a landslide of grubby table and kitchen ware to hurtle off the draining board and onto the floor."Jenny, I'm off up The Clatter Horn, I may be gone some time".

Last edited:
When it comes to professional cooking I hate making things like mayonaise the classic way. My wrist can stand only so much action, lol. There are still chefs who insist such products must be made by hand instead of in a mixer.
If there is a chef that demands mayo be made by hand, then imo that person isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Back
Top Bottom