Your most hated part of cooking

Don't quite understand that. I agree about parsley - it seems to go everywhere somehow and sticks to the knife, stains the board etc. But with thyme I simply pick the leaves - I don't see why you need to chop it. But if I have young thyme with non-woody stems then chopping it seems fairly OK. It doesn't really stick to things in the same way.
Yeah, any woody herb just gets plucked by hand for me. All other herbs I just cut with my kitchen shears, so much easier (to me).

Ah! A cafetiere is what we call it. I don't have one as I don't drink coffee.
It also works well for loose leaf tea, but I just use mine for coffee.

I have two - a full-sized one and a mini one.
he makes a mess every single time he puts food on the plate.
That's how MrsT is. I generally plate her food, because she loves to be catered to, but on those occasions where she makes toast or a sandwich...how so much mess can come from so simple a task, idk.

She'll put the knife caked with butter and jam (another peeve) down directly on the counter and just walk off and leave it, things like that. Drives me crazy.

I just throw it in . Stems and all, and then pick it out before eating or serving
I do that with soups and stews, but if I need minced thyme for a savory scone or an omelette, I'm plucking those blasted leaves. 😒

but was told (here on the forum) it can make them blunt.
It's due to how things rattle and move around during the wash cycle. They bump into things and lose their edge.

I also don't mind cleaning that much. I think it's a somewhat short-term gratification thing, to go from dirty dishes piled everywhere to everything washed and wiped down.

Same feeling about mowing the grass. I don't particularly care for the act itself, but I like looking at the yard, and it's all raggedy, and then after mowing, it's all neat and even again. That's a good feeling.

It also works well for loose leaf tea, but I just use mine for coffee.

I have two - a full-sized one and a mini one.

That's how MrsT is. I generally plate her food, because she loves to be catered to, but on those occasions where she makes toast or a sandwich...how so much mess can come from so simple a task, idk.

She'll put the knife caked with butter and jam (another peeve) down directly on the counter and just walk off and leave it, things like that. Drives me crazy.

I do that with soups and stews, but if I need minced thyme for a savory scone or an omelette, I'm plucking those blasted leaves. 😒

It's due to how things rattle and move around during the wash cycle. They bump into things and lose their edge.

Really? If I put the chopping knifes flat on the top flap down bit (which is what I was doing)then they should be OK - there is nothing there to bump into.

I also don't mind cleaning that much. I think it's a somewhat short-term gratification thing, to go from dirty dishes piled everywhere to everything washed and wiped down.

Same feeling about mowing the grass. I don't particularly care for the act itself, but I like looking at the yard, and it's all raggedy, and then after mowing, it's all neat and even again. That's a good feeling.
I like the cutting the grass. It’s part of an enjoyable Sunday afternoon routine that includes gardening, bbq and beer..

I had one of THESE before & the thing was no good!! It ate up the potatoes
& it didn't even get the eyes out!! I still had to get them out by hand. I ended up throwing it away because I felt that it had served no purpose! What a waste of time & money that was!! I hated it!!!! And when it's on, it shakes & vibrates, caiusing you to have to stand at the counter or table, hold it down & babysit with it!! If you leave it while it's running, it will fall onto the floor!!!! A worthless gadget that took much longer to do a job than just doing it by hand!! Don't waste your money on it!! :ninja::thumbsdown::stop:😡

Last edited:
I had one of THESE before & the thoing was no good!! I hate up the potatoes
& it didn't even get the eyes out!! I still had to get them out by hand. i ended up throwing it away because I felt that it had saerved no purpose! What a waste of time & money that was!! I hated it!!!! :ninja::thumbsdown::stop:😡
View attachment 79040
What is that?

This is my potato peeler. I like gadgets but I can't imagine using the one you posted :headshake:

I can relate to that. I like to clean as I go so at the end of putting a dinner together it looks like someone is about to start to cook, for the most part. lol. Also in the professional kitchen one of my big pet peeves is things not going back to it's proper spot, and that means not a foot away, it has to be exactly where to suppose to go. That has to do with when it's absolutely busy and in the weeds which then makes the difference between a good flow to a complete temporary shutdown and interruption that just drives me crazy mostly because it should just make sense to do that.

one of my big pet peeves is things not going back to it's proper spot, and that means not a foot away, it has to be exactly where to suppose to go. That has to do with when it's absolutely busy and in the weeds which then makes the difference between a good flow to a complete temporary shutdown and interruption that just drives me crazy
I'm exactly the same way for exactly the same reason, even though I'm just a home cook.

Back
Top Bottom