Your most used spice/dried herb?

It's definitely better. But you can use them for herbs more than once as there's nothing inside herbs that spoils when frozen.

If you were batch cooking with the intention of freezing and reheating, would that change your choice of spice(s)?

View attachment 99538
I plan to use one of these ZipLoc-style vacuum seal bags to do that with. That way, I won't have to cut the bags open because they are all resealable. You just reseal & re-vacuum

Feel free to use whatever you want.

I have double ziplock bags from IKEA that are home compostable. Put the contents in. Roll from the bottom, to the top and seal. Vacuum created for you and no extra junk in my drawers. When they fail (as all do at some point), I cut them up and put them in the compost.

I thought that some spices like black pepper may lose their potency after freezing and reheating.

Freezing definitely changes most things that get frozen. Some emerge perfectly fine - not herb and spices, so much, but things like corn and peas seem perfectly fine if they aren't frozen to the point of freezer burn.

There are some things that are sort of in the herb category, like kaffir lime leaves and curry leaves, that I would consider freezing if I had a lot of them and didn't think I could use them before they go bad. Those are two that I wouldn't worry too much about if I had to freeze them: my main concern is the water content, and what freezing does to the food on a cellular level. Those leaves have minimal water content, so they should be okay.

But, I'd also be concerned about the affect of freezer burn if I can't unfreeze the food in less than, say, 3 months. Most herbs and spices are perfectly good at room temperature. Which ones can you think of that would need to be frozen?

But, I'd also be concerned about the affect of freeze burn if I can't unfreeze the food in less than, say, 3 months. Most herbs and spices are perfectly good at room temperature. Which ones can you think of that would need to be frozen?
I make lentil soup with various spices eg Thyme, Rosemary, cumin, chilli powder, salt, black pepper or tomato sauce with black pepper, oregano, basil and black pepper and maybe some paprika. I make a large amount of these things then freeze them. I may also make something with ginger and cinnamon.
I use ground rather than fresh spices as Jewish law is quite strict about checking for insects. This gives an idea though there are other sources. KLBD Bug Checking Guide | Kosher London Beth Din - KLBD

My mother used to say "if it doesn't have garlic it must be dessert." I use garlic whenever it is appropriate in either powder or fresh form. My most used herb is basil.

Incidentally, my mother never visited the garlic festival in Gilroy California. If she had, she would have seen garlic ice cream which would certainly counteract her comment.

My mother used to say "if it doesn't have garlic it must be dessert." I use garlic whenever it is appropriate in either powder or fresh form. My most used herb is basil.

Incidentally, my mother never visited the garlic festival in Gilroy California. If she had, she would have seen garlic ice cream which would certainly counteract her comment.

I've driven through Gilroy many times on my way to Monterey. I never was there at the right time for the Garlic Festival, but the aroma of garlic is pungent as you drive through.

CD

I've driven through Gilroy many times on my way to Monterey. I never was there at the right time for the Garlic Festival, but the aroma of garlic is pungent as you drive through.

CD
I did some military training at Fort Ord which is or was near Monterey. Didn't learn about Gilroy until a decade later long after I was finished with military service.

Back
Top Bottom