Your Photos

^^^ The cottage (and the graveyard) were in Stoke-By-Nayland, and we were there for seven nights, then we spent two nights near Heathrow on the way back home.

Next year, same time (already booked), is a seven-night cruise up the fjords, then ending with four nights in London.

We love England, it really does feel like our spiritual home, and we go as often as we can.
Which fjords, we were just in Bergan and travelled up Sognefjord to Balestrand and Flam.

I bought a bottle of whiskey from the whiskey shop in the Royal mile in Edinburgh. So many choices. The whiskey is long gone,lol.

Russ
I used to live not too far from this one (this is a not too far concept where when you're down to half a tank of fuel, you start planning where next to fill up and if you pass another petrol station, you stop and fill up.) Anyhow, I know it well and even back when I was a child it had a fantastic range of whiskies. It was then the sort of place where you could taste many of them before purchase (iirc) and the West Coast is definitely where I developed my taste for the peatier whiskies.

Now or had a really useful outdoor store next door with the petrol station. One I have used many a time in days gone by. Doubt I'll get back there anymore though! No family there and no time in the next visit to the UK to get up north sadly.

I should say that I'm a West Coast girl having been born in Glasgow.

I used to live not too far from this one (this is a not too far concept where when you're down to half a tank of fuel, you start planning where next to fill up and if you pass another petrol station, you stop and fill up.) Anyhow, I know it well and even back when I was a child it had a fantastic range of whiskies. It was then the sort of place where you could taste many of them before purchase (iirc) and the West Coast is definitely where I developed my taste for the peatier whiskies.

Now or had a really useful outdoor store next door with the petrol station. One I have used many a time in days gone by. Doubt I'll get back there anymore though! No family there and no time in the next visit to the UK to get up north sadly.

I should say that I'm a West Coast girl having been born in Glasgow.

We went up around isle of Skye, we were based in Inverness. We were going to go to Glasgow but several people warned us not to go there, our car would be targeted for theft. We never went there, I've regretted it ever since.

Russ

We went up around isle of Skye, we were based in Inverness. We were going to go to Glasgow but several people warned us not to go there, our car would be targeted for theft. We never went there, I've regretted it ever since.

Russ

Like most cities, Glasgow has its dodgy parts, but plenty of it is all right. One curious thing about the place is that a lot of the really good pubs look like less salubrious ones. A personal favourite is The Three Judges on the Dumbarton Road, just to the west of the city centre. It's a fantastic pub, especially for those with a taste for good beer. The name comes from the link of the nearby Kelvin Hall, a famous boxing venue.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Scotland, hot and sunny. The East of Scotland Spot the Cloud Competition proved less than successful, for once.

P7240006.JPG

One method of keeping cool was to go for a spin on this contraption. It whizzes round at a fair speed. Not recommended after a session in the pub, however.

P7240004.JPG
P7240005.JPG

We don't get huge numbers of butterflies where I live, though we usually get plenty of Small Whites. In the last few days, though, we seem to have had an outbreak of Painted Lady butterflies.

View attachment 29941
that's a Small tortoiseshell butterfly, not a painted lady. they are quite different in size as well.

the top picture is a small tortoiseshell
IMG_6084a.JPG

and he bottom is a painted lady. (Both my own pictures)
IMG_6099.JPG

that's a Small tortoiseshell butterfly, not a painted lady. they are quite different in size as well.

the top picture is a small tortoiseshell
View attachment 29954

and he bottom is a painted lady. (Both my own pictures)
View attachment 29955
You're quite right. I should have checked my Collins guide. I just had it in my head that it was the other one.

Do let me know when I can remove the hair shirt...

Back
Top Bottom