Your Photos

Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of Europe.
I visited this place a few years ago during one of the many trips to Portugal. It is quite spectacular.

I have loads of them in the garden but they never come near the house - I have a bird feeder full of peanuts which is in reality a squirrel feeder! In fact, they are so many squirrels that if I look out the window any time I'm bound to see one. I will try to take a snap.

Do you have any squirrel proof bird feeders in the UK. We have The Yankee Flipper...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-7g-fl3g8

And the Twirl-A-Squirrel...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raf4x6Iw-7U

CD

My dad had one. It was rectangular and had a thick wire or thin shelf on levers running around the bottom. When the squirrels would jump onto the wire/ledge, they would hit the wire on levers, pushing them down , bringing walls down that would cover the ledge where the bird seed was. It was quite effective. It was funny watching the new little squirrels each year try to get to the bird seed before they figured out it was impossible. I don't remember, if I even knew, what it was called. He had found it somewhere after much, much looking because they enjoyed bird watching and had a bunch of feeders in their yard, as well as hummingbird feeders.

Looks like the squirrel managed to fling enough feed out to enjoy from its effort.

That's what I thought. The second video looks a bit cruel. But maybe squirrels don't get giddy.

But you know, I don't mind my squirrel/bird feeder - I get Jays, Spotted Woodpeckers, Blue Tits on it as well and its fun watching the squirrels.

That's what I thought. The second video looks a bit cruel. But maybe squirrels don't get giddy.

But you know, I don't mind my squirrel/bird feeder - I get Jays, Spotted Woodpeckers, Blue Tits on it as well and its fun watching the squirrels.
That's always how I felt. I'm not even comfortable with the idea of favoring one critter over the other. They're both hungry, whether is a cute little chickadee or a plain-Jane sparrow. I want them all to get fed.

My SIL puts out tons of birdseed, but she only wants "pretty" birds, so she keeps a pellet gun by the back door and shoots the ones she deems unworthy. Miserable old sot.

Back
Top Bottom