Your Photos

I wish I was untrapped. I can't wait to have this view again.

9889899065_acc389b56f_h.jpg

Piloting a small single engine land aircraft is freedom - and nowhere near being trapped.

full.jpg

Aerobatic Bi-Plane

This aircraft is hanging upside down from the ceiling in an aviation museum in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'm one of those who loves visiting far away places (by which I mean, UK and Europe :laugh: but absolutely despises the act of travel itself, so I get where you're coming from.

I'm one of those people who as a kid, always had to have a window seat and even today, if I am not at the wheel, in a plane, in a train, on a bus, boat or car, give me that window seat.

I'm one of those people who as a kid, always had to have a window seat and even today, if I am not at the wheel, in a plane, in a train, on a bus, boat or car, give me that window seat.
I much prefer the aisle seat, because the just about only time I fly is to get to Europe, so that several hours, and I'm up and down, up and down, up and down for the whole flight.

Back as a child I'd take the 17 hours train ride Zagreb to Sofia with Granny. Adventurous...
Nowadays I'd think twice.

Although train (+plane) is the more comfortable...bus rides I hate. I hate the smell, the constricted seats, the no walk...

But I love travel.

If I could have it my way, I 'd do max 2-3 hours, stop, air, walk,eat, rest, and then proceed...

Is it a backspine issue with the long travel hours?
No, I just have a lot of travel anxiety. Funny thing is, the one thing I don't worry about is the flight itself. I'm not afraid of flying at all. I just obsess about everything else that could go wrong (no rental cars, lost hotel reservations, lost luggage, bad train service, stolen money, cancelled flights, and a thousand other things).

I'm one of those who loves visiting far away places (by which I mean, UK and Europe :laugh: but absolutely despises the act of travel itself, so I get where you're coming from.

I’m the opposite. I like very much the travel itself whatever it is, although I love being on a plane. My personal top 5 chart about it :
1. Plane
2. Car
3. Train
4. Ferry-Boat
5. Bike

No, I just have a lot of travel anxiety. Funny thing is, the one thing I don't worry about is the flight itself. I'm not afraid of flying at all. I just obsess about everything else that could go wrong (no rental cars, lost hotel reservations, lost luggage, bad train service, stolen money, cancelled flights, and a thousand other things).
That is a reality though...I hope you still get to enjoy travel...

I’m the opposite. I like very much the travel itself whatever it is, although I love being on a plane. My personal top 5 chart about it :
1. Plane
2. Car
3. Train
4. Ferry-Boat
5. Bike
I'm the most comfortable in a car (that I'm driving), but it's about my least favorite way to get somewhere, because if you're going any distance, it takes too long to get there, and until I retire, we're always on a very limited vacation schedule (12 days maximum at one time).

Where I get stressed, really, is anything to do with a ticket or a reservation, like a plane or a train or a ship. I always imagine every little thing that can go wrong, and in my mind, that starts a chain of events that ultimately leads to me missing the plane/train/ship.

For example, my wife would be fine taking coach/economy, because for her, she's just going to sleep, and it's a means of getting there, nothing to be enjoyed on its own, so why bother with extra money to upgrade?

I insist on at least economy+ (called Comfort Class with our preferred airline), for the sole reason that it includes reserved overhead compartment space.

Why is that so important to me? Here's how my rat's nest brain works:

"Tasty, if you don't have dedicated overhead space, someone will have taken the space over your seat by the time you get on, and then the flight attendant will take your bag and find space far, far away in the back of the plane for your bag, which means you'll have to wait for everyone to exit before you can fight your way back there, and by the time you do that and get off the plane, you'll get to the car hire desk and find that, despite your reservation, they'll have no cars available (that's happened more than once to me), and then you'll have to find a train to get you somewhat close to your final destination, only all of the trains will be full, so you'll be stuck at the airport, and by the time you can finally find a car or a train leave the airport, you'll get to your hotel only to find they've given your room away because you were late and now it's 8PM and all the hotels are full and you haven't eaten since the morning because you've spent all your time trying to get transportation, and the restaurants have no space, especially for someone dragging luggage behind them, and now you're going to faint from hunger and once you wake up again, you'll find someone has stolen your luggage and all your money and the shoes you were wearing and now you look dirty and homeless and the police will arrest you and throw you into jail for loitering and you have no identification or passport, so now you're destined to die a nameless unknown derelict in some prison in whatever country you're in and no one will ever know what became of you. That's why you need dedicated overhead space."

I'm the most comfortable in a car (that I'm driving), but it's about my least favorite way to get somewhere, because if you're going any distance, it takes too long to get there, and until I retire, we're always on a very limited vacation schedule (12 days maximum at one time).

Where I get stressed, really, is anything to do with a ticket or a reservation, like a plane or a train or a ship. I always imagine every little thing that can go wrong, and in my mind, that starts a chain of events that ultimately leads to me missing the plane/train/ship.

For example, my wife would be fine taking coach/economy, because for her, she's just going to sleep, and it's a means of getting there, nothing to be enjoyed on its own, so why bother with extra money to upgrade?

I insist on at least economy+ (called Comfort Class with our preferred airline), for the sole reason that it includes reserved overhead compartment space.

"Tasty, if you don't have dedicated overhead space, someone will have taken the space over your seat by the time you get on, and then the flight attendant will take your bag and find space far, far away in the back of the plane for your bag, which means you'll have to wait for everyone to exit before you can fight your way back there, and by the time you do that and get off the plane, you'll get to the car hire desk and find that, despite your reservation, they'll have no cars available (that's happened more than once to me), and then you'll have to find a train to get you somewhat close to your final destination, only all of the trains will be full, so you'll be stuck at the airport, and by the time you can finally find a car or a train leave the airport, you'll get to your hotel only to find they've given your room away because you were late and now it's 8PM and all the hotels are full and you haven't eaten since the morning because you've spent all your time trying to get transportation, and the restaurants have no space, especially for someone dragging luggage behind them, and now you're going to faint from hunger and once you wake up again, you'll find someone has stolen your luggage and all your money and the shoes you were wearing and now you look dirty and homeless and the police will arrest you and throw you into jail for loitering and you have no identification or passport, so now you're destined to die a nameless unknown derelict in some prison in whatever country you're in and no one will ever know what became of you. That's why you need dedicated overhead space."
Strangely, it did not sound like an imagined thing...most of it...apart from the prison...it sounded like the story one tells about an awful travel day😁

The best stories come from the worst experiences...

1. Plane
2. Car
3. Train
4. Ferry-Boat
5. Bike
Amazing! It is indeed splendid to be able to enjoy the ride itself...

First four agree, I would exchange your no 5 with walk. I am horrible in bike riding. I looove walking. If I could I'd walk to my destination...

Brilliant! I laughed out loud.

Back
Top Bottom