Your Photos

In the US, we have the Appalachian Trail. It is similar to the Santiago de Compostela.

Appalachian Trail

CD
My hands were freezing, now in the heated train I read the link.
Fascinating! 3500 km long!!! I imagine the scenery must be exquisit,from forests to mountains meadows creeks...wow...

And the history, how it began! The founder had just lost his wife...

There was a woman 67 y old who hiked the whole trail in 146 days, now that is motivating!

I might want to do that too!! Should be retired by then, so should have time... I love reading about people at any age being that active!

I live 20 minutes from Southfork Ranch, JR's house. Don't waste your time. You will look at it, and think, "That's it?"

CD

Yes, I suppose I won't have the spirit of someone expecting a monument of national importance, but it's just to give real form to something we've been hammered with since childhood on TV's with Dallas (which for instance I never liked it either) :laugh:

I had my TSA routine down. I also have Hertz Five-Star Gold status, so I get of the plane, and walk straight to the rental car sitting in an assigned spot just for me (in some cities, I go to the five-star isle and pick any car there). I go to the hotel (my preferred chain), they pull up my name and see I am a top level preferred customer, and I get my key, and usually a goodie bag with chips, candy and bottled water.
We have all that, too. Does nothing to calm me down. :laugh:
Imagine Don Knotts at his most nervous Barney Fife...that's me going through Security. My wife is amazed that I can manage to "lose" my passport and boarding pass sixteen times between checking in and walking over to Security, because I'm so nervous I'm going to lose them, that I keep taking them out and rearranging them and putting them in different pockets and by the time I get to the TSA Pre-Check guy I'm so confused as to where anything is, I'm close to a nervous breakdown.

I've found, much to my skinflint wife's displeasure, that flying first class does help a little, mainly because I can wait in the first class clubhouse and (as long as it's not a huge airport) find a quiet place with little activity to try and keep calm. I think that's the other part of what gets to me on a travel day...I get some sort of sensory overload with everyone rushing around and that nonstop irritating PA constantly broadcasting and I can't find anywhere that's just calm and quiet.

I have to wonder how you would have reacted to the situation where my camera bag tested positive for explosives at the TSA checkpoint. You probably would have imagined yourself right into Guantanamo.
I know I've mentioned this before, but long before 9/11, I got stopped at the airport for packing sausages that looked like a bundle of dynamite. Pre 9/11, so everyone had a good laugh.

We have all that, too. Does nothing to calm me down. :laugh:
Imagine Don Knotts at his most nervous Barney Fife...that's me going through Security. My wife is amazed that I can manage to "lose" my passport and boarding pass sixteen times between checking in and walking over to Security, because I'm so nervous I'm going to lose them, that I keep taking them out and rearranging them and putting them in different pockets and by the time I get to the TSA Pre-Check guy I'm so confused as to where anything is, I'm close to a nervous breakdown.

I've found, much to my skinflint wife's displeasure, that flying first class does help a little, mainly because I can wait in the first class clubhouse and (as long as it's not a huge airport) find a quiet place with little activity to try and keep calm. I think that's the other part of what gets to me on a travel day...I get some sort of sensory overload with everyone rushing around and that nonstop irritating PA constantly broadcasting and I can't find anywhere that's just calm and quiet.

I know I've mentioned this before, but long before 9/11, I got stopped at the airport for packing sausages that looked like a bundle of dynamite. Pre 9/11, so everyone had a good laugh.
And you still travel, that is to be respected and admired. You keep conquering yourself.

I have the boarding passes-loss phobia too...😂...I probably check them 10 times...but it does not overwhelm me...

I would feel more comfortable in an extended leg area seat option, me being as tall as I am, but so far no 1 st class for me...however for the 1-2-3 hours flying it is bearable.

Are you allowed to travel with food? Other than duty free chocolate bars or alcohol?

9/11 was the scariest event ever ...I was in Sofia at that moment and was scared all flights would be cancelled and I could not fly home...they weren't...

But that amount of evil and suffering was horrible. Horrible. Almost unbearable to watch.

Are you allowed to travel with food? Other than duty free chocolate bars or alcohol?
Yeah, and a lot of people do bring on stinky food court meals, making coach even more like riding on a bus. :laugh:

9/11 was the scariest event ever ...I was in Sofia at that moment and was scared all flights would be cancelled and I could not fly home...they weren't...
My wife worked for the airlines at the time and was always flying somewhere, and half the time, I'd forget where she was.

On 9/11, she was flying...over Pennsylvania, and they were announcing everything going on, and I kept thinking, "I'm fairly sure she's flying to PA today...but maybe that's tomorrow...or yesterday..."

She finally called and said she was grounded in Pittsburgh (I think) and she ended up stuck there for about a week or however long it was they got things back up and running.

Yeah, and a lot of people do bring on stinky food court meals, making coach even more like riding on a bus. :laugh:

My wife worked for the airlines at the time and was always flying somewhere, and half the time, I'd forget where she was.

On 9/11, she was flying...over Pennsylvania, and they were announcing everything going on, and I kept thinking, "I'm fairly sure she's flying to PA today...but maybe that's tomorrow...or yesterday..."

She finally called and said she was grounded in Pittsburgh (I think) and she ended up stuck there for about a week or however long it was they got things back up and running.
I can imagine, the heat, the food, yuck, I don't think it is good for the food either, un refrigerated...

A Tv show had given insight into the stuff people try to bring in/out by plane, and the officers had to destroy all this food due to national laws...not sure which airport it was...it was insane...

Goodness me, stranded for a week, not very pleasurable...but at least you knew she was safe...

Pittsburgh is not the worst place to be stuck, and she could have rented a car and driven to Cincinnati in just over 4 hours.

CD

The Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano. This print is hanging in my kitchen

I will travel as much as I can, while I can, because I know there will come a point when I just don't have it in me anymore. While I don't like the marathon flights, and feel it takes longer to recover than it use to, I still find the juice worth the squeeze. I've very grateful I have a gig where I get 6 weeks paid a year, and my fiance gets 5 weeks paid a year. We've really loved our new trend of flying 6-8 hours to get across the Atlantic, spending a few days getting acclimated and exploring where we are staying before heading to a terminal to get on a ship and cruise back to the states over 11-15 days with stops along the way. Great way to see places and get a feel for if it's a place we'd like to get back to and spend more time, have all meals and drinks covered. Sea days are fantastic. A book, a balcony and watch the world go by.

One place I'm looking forward to getting back to is Honfleur.

33951113068_002506e671_h.jpg

I will travel as much as I can, while I can, because I know there will come a point when I just don't have it in me anymore. While I don't like the marathon flights, and feel it takes longer to recover than it use to, I still find the juice worth the squeeze. I've very grateful I have a gig where I get 6 weeks paid a year, and my fiance gets 5 weeks paid a year. We've really loved our new trend of flying 6-8 hours to get across the Atlantic, spending a few days getting acclimated and exploring where we are staying before heading to a terminal to get on a ship and cruise back to the states over 11-15 days with stops along the way. Great way to see places and get a feel for if it's a place we'd like to get back to and spend more time, have all meals and drinks covered. Sea days are fantastic. A book, a balcony and watch the world go by.

One place I'm looking forward to getting back to is Honfleur.

View attachment 59604

I feel exactly what you have written. I’m like a bird who can’t singing or twitting. Patience, patience, waiting, waiting...

Back
Top Bottom