Your Photos

Today at the town square

I shot a Brit Pickup truck today. It was Land Rover Defender 130, which is a model I had never heard of. It is rare, and was only made for the European market (The US only got Defender 90 and 110 models, and not many of those). This one was dressed up by Dennis Collins at Black Mountain.

LyonsSample-001.jpg

CD

I shot a Brit Pickup truck today. It was Land Rover Defender 130, which is a model I had never heard of. It is rare, and was only made for the European market (The US only got Defender 90 and 110 models, and not many of those). This one was dressed up by Dennis Collins at Black Mountain.

CD
That's an awesome rig! I'd rather own that than a Hummer, any day.

We had a bit of a storm last night.
I've never tried to photo lightning before & tbh, my main issue was actually overexposure not under....

But I'm pleased. I got one or two decent shots given that I was trying hard not to also get killed. Everything in the house was off and unplugged. We had heard the roar from the wind before the storm hit. An express train is a very good metaphor.

We had a bit of a storm last night.
I've never tried to photo lightning before & tbh, my main issue was actually overexposure not under....

But I'm pleased. I got one or two decent shots given that I was trying hard not to also get killed. Everything in the house was off and unplugged. We had heard the roar from the wind before the storm hit. An express train is a very good metaphor.

That is normal. You need a time exposure, and for that, it is best to set your camera for manual operation. I haven't done lightning shots since high school (the camera I had then only had a manual mode), so I don't remember the proper settings, but I am sure they are all over the internet.

CD

That's an awesome rig! I'd rather own that than a Hummer, any day.

Well, those old Defenders were rugged, for sure, but you need to drive one around for a while before buying one. They are pretty crude... and considerably underpowered with the old LR small V8 that they bought from Buick. I think it was 3.5 Liters, IIRC. LOTS of rattles and other noises, too. Hummers/Humvees came along much later, so they used newer technologies, and had a 6.2 Liter Turbo Diesel. Defenders had a diesel option, but I've been told those had even less power -- 0-60MPH (0-100KPH) in... your dreams. I've only driven the gas/petrol versions.

CD

That is normal. You need a time exposure, and for that, it is best to set your camera for manual operation. I haven't done lightning shots since high school (the camera I had then only had a manual mode), so I don't remember the proper settings, but I am sure they are all over the internet.

CD
I just set a 2 second exposure, and manual focus at infinity. those 5 lightning strikes in 1 image were common... and it was on 3 fronts at least.

the main issue was the severity of the storm which from all intents was a bad one this time. I've seen reports of buckled high voltage power pylons (those 4 legged versions) in our vicinity, friends showing huge old gum trees down, one nearly taking out her house (it was a neighbour's tree who have been very good about the whole thing), I know the rural emergency services were out less than 250m from our house last night at 10pm trying to reopen the road and so on. massive hailstones again in the city to the point that at 9:30pm last night our landlord checked to see how bad it was here (they have sheep & lambs etc).

So the weather wasnt great yesterday and the flock was nowhere to be seen until I opened the front door. The mat at the front door is one of their favourite places when it's wet and windy out. After all, i definitely put that bit of carpet down just for them, didn't I?

Only 4 were missing busy laying or sitting elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom