Your ultimate cheese on toast or toasted (grilled) cheese sandwich

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:37 PM
What is your favourite way to make cheese on toast or toasted cheese sandwiches? Do you have any innovative additions?

In the US, we'd call that grilled cheese, and it's usually done in a skillet or fry pan. I do mine in my cast iron skillet, a little oil down in the pan, a lot of butter on the outside of each piece of bread, fried until golden, then sat on a rack to cool for several minutes. Unlike a lot of folks, I don't like oozy-melty cheese when I eat it - I want it to have set a bit.

My preference is almost always just white bread and cheddar cheese. If I'm feeling fancy, though, I'll mix the cheeses up a bit, and add some gourmet items, like caramelized onions or thinly-sliced apple, or a smear of fig jam in the sandwich.

My preference is almost always just white bread and cheddar cheese. If I'm feeling fancy, though, I'll mix the cheeses up a bit, and add some gourmet items, like caramelized onions or thinly-sliced apple, or a smear of fig jam in the sandwich.

I like to add things on top or under the cheese. Baby tomatoes are good on top. This was cheddar cheese, tomato, basil, basil oil and balsamic:

I like to add things on top or under the cheese. Baby tomatoes are good on top. This was cheddar cheese, tomato, basil, basil oil and balsamic:

View attachment 52867
That looks lovely.

I'll add that, at least in my part of the country (can't speak for the rest of the US), cheese on toast isn't really a thing. I know I never encountered it until moving to the UK. Usually, you just press on and make a grilled cheese sandwich. :)

I find Brie and especially, Camembert, great candidates for this sort of thing. Maybe with some sun dried Tomato layered on before the cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add that, at least in my part of the country (can't speak for the rest of the US), cheese on toast isn't really a thing. I know I never encountered it until moving to the UK. Usually, you just press on and make a grilled cheese sandwich. :)
I think what you call a grilled cheese sandwich/grilled cheese is what we'd call a cheese toastie....sometimes made in a toastie maker (which seals the sides of the bread together so that the lava-hot cheese spurts out and burns you when you bite into it), and sometimes just by squishing a sandwich on a panini press or frying it like your's.

I quite often have cheese on toast for lunch....its quick and easy, and you get a lot more cheese Vs bread than you do with a toastie :okay:

Grilled scamorza cheese with Tuna and Mary Rose sauce

Is this what you mean? I've never thought of that kind of dressing on a grilled cheese but it sounds interesting.

Marie Rose Sauce, also known as Thousand Island Dressing is traditionally made from a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. Marie Rose is usually associated with prawn/shrimp cocktail and Thousand Island often used in a Reuben sandwich. ... You can lighten the mixture by adding some plain yogurt to the mayonnaise.

Source: What Is the Recipe for Marie Rose Sauce? | Ask Nigella.com | Nigella Lawson

Is this what you mean? I've never thought of that kind of dressing on a grilled cheese but it sounds interesting.

Marie Rose Sauce, also known as Thousand Island Dressing is traditionally made from a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. Marie Rose is usually associated with prawn/shrimp cocktail and Thousand Island often used in a Reuben sandwich. ... You can lighten the mixture by adding some plain yogurt to the mayonnaise.

Source: What Is the Recipe for Marie Rose Sauce? | Ask Nigella.com | Nigella Lawson

Yep, I meant that sauce that we also called as Cocktail sauce.
I like it very much paired with grilled cheese and tuna. I sometimes make mine on my own, other times I buy a jar of it

Back
Top Bottom